bells VS Toes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bells VS Toes

i use deer toes ..never did like the bell thing around my ankles and darn up keep and price of angora goat hair.though i do have a few antique bells on my bustle.. my regalia doesnt represent a pacific style.. whatcha think?
    In Search of the Elusive Government Cheese

I love the sweet odour of the bubbling broth that comes only with the boiling of deer toes *trying to sound sophisticated*

Seriously though, have you ever tried to boil bells?
    A tater tot is worth a thousand fries.

Comment

toe tappin fun

i love the deer toes. i hate the annoying clang of most bells. plus i think that the deer toe clankers match my ever sexy deer toe bandolier

keep on dancing

Comment

I was wondering myself, I don't have enough bells or toes to make a set, but what about rifle casings? Would this be inappropriate?

Comment

Only place I've seen rifle casings used as far as outfits goes is to replace hairpipe on breastplates. I know a couple Viet Nam veterans who used casings to make theirs. Wouldn't use them to replace bells or toes though.
          The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
          -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

rifle caseings

hey guys
            my dad uses rifle casing from his m 14 in vietnam as drops on the bottom of his bandoliers and also uses 45cal shells from his police glock as his chocker danglies
            personally i always thought that was freaking awesome, just some tokens from a former army ranger who put foot to *** for our country

Comment

Originally posted by powwow617
              hey guys
              my dad uses rifle casing from his m 14 in vietnam as drops on the bottom of his bandoliers and also uses 45cal shells from his police glock as his chocker danglies
              personally i always thought that was freaking awesome, just some tokens from a former army ranger who put foot to *** for our country
              Only certain types of cartridges work really well. 30/30 is what the old Winchester lever actions fired. I would imagine a full breastplate made from brass casings would be insanely heavy. If the casings are dirty you'll have to clean them in a tumbler or clean each one by hand. (ugh). I work at a gun range and know this torture first hand. Although I've seen chokers, bandoliers, and breastplates made from shell casings, I definitely wouldn't want to lug around that much brass.

Also, if you aren't a veteran, it would kind of look like you were fronting. I dunno. It can be done, but I don't know why you'd want too. Brass is hard to keep clean, it's heavy as hell, and for noise they barely "tinkle" so not a very good replacement for toes or bells.
              At least not to me.
              "Guns don't kill people. I kill people."

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy™
                Only certain types of cartridges work really well. 30/30 is what the old Winchester lever actions fired. I would imagine a full breastplate made from brass casings would be insanely heavy. If the casings are dirty you'll have to clean them in a tumbler or clean each one by hand. (ugh). I work at a gun range and know this torture first hand. Although I've seen chokers, bandoliers, and breastplates made from shell casings, I definitely wouldn't want to lug around that much brass.

Also, if you aren't a veteran, it would kind of look like you were fronting. I dunno. It can be done, but I don't know why you'd want too. Brass is hard to keep clean, it's heavy as hell, and for noise they barely "tinkle" so not a very good replacement for toes or bells.
                At least not to me.
                Powwow617's dad had the right idea I think. Using a few casings to accent his regalia. Too much of it would look really wierd.
                "Guns don't kill people. I kill people."

Comment

hmm..it would be very interesting seeing them as replacements. You should try it.
                  I'm interested more in self determination than gender equity. In other words, changing white men for white woman in the structures of power, does nothing to transform the opression in my community.

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate... Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]"
                  -Captain Jack Sparrow

Comment

Toes??

I don't know where all you guys live. But up this way the Deer have HOOVES!! LMAO...."deer toes". Thatz too dang much!!!
                    ohhhh ennniiit??

Comment

deer have toes here

trust me, here in WV the deer have toes. how else would they tippey toe past me while i am sleeping in my tree stand. i am pretty sure that if they tippey hooved any where near me that it would wake me up.

dance hard

Comment

ok git all teknical! lol j/k alot of people refer to the front part of the split hoof as "toes" and they make a nice rattle/clack sound when used on an outfit.
                        "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
                        Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

Originally posted by powwow617
                          hey guys
                          Powwow617, thank you for your service to our country!
                          JimR, US Coast Guard 1989-93 Polar Ops
                          "Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
                          Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

Gonna make a set..

I just ordered a set of 100 deer toes to make myself a set to wear with my buckskin leggings. So, do I copy the style of my regular bells when making the toe set? Any words of wisdom my fellow dancers can share?
                            OrangePridendnds1
                            "What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
                            Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator
                            ...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.
                            Mourning Dove Salish 1888-1936

Comment

leg ties

I have leather leggings and I tie my dear toes to my wapum beaded leg ties. I used to hang the deer and elk toes 2 to 3 inches from the botton of the ties with black sinew but I would loose a few every now and then in the arena and thats not good when things start fallen off the man!! You drill the toes and secure them with rolled leather cord. I also have many small deer and elk dew claws on them that hang and bang around hitting the larger toes, makes a nice sound. Take my advice an secure them well with holes punched in the bottom of the leg ties and punch a two holes in the back of the leggings and secure the leg ties there too. I takes abour 50 toes per leg and that only covers the front. Slowly I have been adding more toes and dews and am almost have them all the way around. Make sure your place the ties 4 to 5 inches below the knee 'cause when you kneel down on one knee the leggings move up your leg and you end up kneeling on the toes, that hurts! Measure well before you punch the leggings. Bells were used by one dancer in our band in some of the first pow wows when others were using the deer and elk toes, but the dancer who used the bells started winning alot then others changed to bells too. I have been dancing for over 40 years and have earned a buffalo headdress, and am trying buffalo toes but they are to big I am finding out..
                              I Love my wife and my life... How come there is never enough time to do the job right but always enough time to do the job over...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X