Huntin' anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huntin' anyone?

Just wondered if you guys hunted and if so, what you like to go for.

I'm in N. California, but we have a ton of game up here. I'm saving up for a Winchester 30.06 and a compound bow-can't wait to use 'em!
    Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

I hunt deer(hope to get one this year for a nice pair of leggings) with a bow and with firearms as well.

For meat I like to get does, but a buck would not be looked down upon;-)

I use a recurve bow and a 30-30 rifle.
    "You can't leave footprints in the sands of time
    by sitting on your butt. And who wants to leave
    buttprints in the sands of time?"

Dance On.

Comment

This is a northern traditional dance topic? this should be in chit chat....
      But I do hunt deer/bear and some small game too.....w/ bow and gun....

Comment

It can be, depending on the traditions of your particular affiliation. The woodpecker and dragonfly are all over lots of regalia nowadays - and in a traditional sense, those two guys are all about hunting.

I just found a couple of yellow flickers, heck, now that I think about it, I find a lot of woodpecker feathers while hunting. Of course I leave all the feathers on the ground because woodpeckers are a protected species and it'd be wrong to have them.

At any rate, I'm primarily a moose guy. I also shoot at a lot of partridge. I pretend to hunt deer... sometimes I shoot, but not real often. I'm mostly in it for the social aspect of hunting nowadays. Spending time with dad and cousins and uncles you know.

I collect a lot of hides from coworkers and friends... it keeps me hip deep in braintain and deer hooves - which I use to help a lot of dancers get things done. It's a good time. We dance the hell out of those dead deer around here. They're really important that way.

I have a real old three-oh-eight bolt action we use for moose and an all purpose bolt action Craig. A four-ten and an eighty year old bolt action Swiss 7.5mm too. I think you can see I like the bolt actions for a rifle.

I also "shoot" long bow and am starting in on some black powder this year - so I can have more weekends to socialize with my friends and relatives out in the woods.

Good luck out there fellas - be safe.

Originally posted by Joe G
        Mii iw keyaa ezhi-ditibiseyaan

Comment

not intended as chit chat

Originally posted by Joe G
          Hey Joe!

Yeah, I get your point; I did bring it up for a reason though.

Maybe I'm taking this too literally, but I was taught (I still have a whole lot to learn) that N Trad is a dance that reenact war exploits (tracking or recon) or the hunt.

I've been itching to hunt lately and was wondering if there is a symbiotic relationship between the two. Maybe N. California is finally gettin' to me... Gest throwin' it out there.
          Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

Comment

Originally posted by tsuj510
            Hey Joe!

Yeah, I get your point; I did bring it up for a reason though.

Maybe I'm taking this too literally, but I was taught (I still have a whole lot to learn) that N Trad is a dance that reenact war exploits (tracking or recon) or the hunt.

I've been itching to hunt lately and was wondering if there is a symbiotic relationship between the two. Maybe N. California is finally gettin' to me... Gest throwin' it out there.
            I would be embarrased to 'reenact' the time I was down in a swamp in NC hunting deer. Saw some fresh tracks and followed them. They were so fresh...the deer was still standing in them!!!

Deer blew in my ear from about 5' away. Shotgun went one way and I went the other. Damn deer is prolly still telling the same story.

Anybody wanna try to 'reenact' that story Northern Tradish style!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

I hear ya JD....we all have some embarrasing hunting stories which we would be hard pressed to interpret by dancing!!

Comment

haha yeah! Me and my father were hunting a ridge one time sitting against two big trees and out of no where a doe literally jumps right over us . She hit me in the arm as she was in the air between us. That would be tough to reenact.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad
                  I would be embarrased to 'reenact' the time I was down in a swamp in NC hunting deer. Saw some fresh tracks and followed them. They were so fresh...the deer was still standing in them!!!

Deer blew in my ear from about 5' away. Shotgun went one way and I went the other. Damn deer is prolly still telling the same story.

hey Kola,

is this where you learnt dat kewl trick "whipsering sweet nothings into the womenz ear" came from?

LOL>

...GoT GreaSe?...

www.Grease.It.Ayye.com
                  RezinInc

sigpic

Comment

Nah...I learned to whisper in 'kewl schewl'. I went at night!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad

LOL I told my mom and brother that and they jus about fell over!!! LOL

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X