• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul G
    Webmaster
    • Jan 2000

Never seen this - What is it?

Saw something new to me at Gathering. Can anyone tell me what this is, where it comes from.

I'm referring to the head gear in this photo:

New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!
  • Tom Iron Eagle
    Teen Dancer
    • Jul 2001

Feather Roach

Paul and others:

It may have other names but it is called a Feather Roach or at least it is very similar to the Feather Roach.

Actuallly, this one is a very modern looking one with the orange and beadwork. But those of us that do Living History know that it goes all the way back to the the 18th Century.

Natives of the North East were very fond of the new "hackle" feathers imported by the Europeans in the 1700's and made headdresses similar to their Hair Roach.

If you attend a Living History Event of the 1700's you can see the same concept - this one is on a more modern scale of course.

So like many things in our culture, it is not actually new, but a very modern version of something from history.
    Last edited by Tom Iron Eagle; 05-01-2007, 11:22 AM. Reason: Content

Comment

• billyjoejimbob
      Fat Singer
      • Oct 2002

Im more interested in the guy in the first pic on the left. Looks like he is wearing a womans trad beaded dress top!!!
      There are 2 types of people in the world...
      Really stupid people who think they are smart
      and
      Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

• superndngyrl
        hello
        • Mar 2002

now Billyjoejimbob is going to make a feather roach and women's traditional top for his new traditional outfit. Post Pics when its done! ayyeee
        The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

• apacheheart
          Teen Dancer
          • Apr 2006

I've heard it called a Hackle Roach,or a Hackle Hat.Kinda looks like an Iroquois Gustoweh,but made with pheasant or rooster hackles,instead of the split feathers,(with or without a wooden frame)It's almost endless the combos of colors you can get these in.I kinda like it!...as for the guy on the left,yes it does look like a women's top,but I 've seen guys in Northern Trad.wearing these capes or yokes more and more,especially at Southwestern powwows,where the heat can be unbearable at times,and it looks lighter and more comfy.I understand that Dancers from the Crow Tribe wear something that resembles this as well,kinda like a large collar across the shoulders, but they don't usually wear a shirt under it.It's amazing what these guys come up with!...keep smilin'1
          Last edited by apacheheart; 05-01-2007, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Eagle Plumes
            Pow Wow Committee
            • Sep 2005

Ive seen the capes as well, my big brother War Dancer has a white buckskin skin cape he wears at times....
            I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

• Coyot_In_The_House
              BOULDERDASH!
              • Aug 2002

Thats a Bear from Meskaki Country....

"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

• SuzzeQ4
                Senior Dancer
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by apacheheart View Post
                I've heard it called a Hackle Roach,or a Hackle Hat.Kinda looks like an Iroquois Gustoweh,but made with pheasant or rooster hackles,instead of the split feathers,(with or without a wooden frame)

I've seen Gustoweh's (with wooden frame of course) that had feathers like this hanging over it, covering the frame, oh yeah, but not that colour, I kinda really like that orange, it really pops!, not going to show my son, that is his favorite colour & he'll have another thing for us to make...maybe I'll show him next year; prehaps I should warn my husband first...nah!
                Suzze

Comment

• apacheheart
                  Teen Dancer
                  • Apr 2006

HEHHEH....
                  Suzze,I know how your son feels.Being that Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday,I'm partial to the pumpkin orange color myself.Really ,any shade of orange is eye catching to me(I have a black kitten with orange eyes,a real Halloween Kitty!),and that orange is really explosive.So if he's that crazy over the color,you may just have to make him one.And while you're at it,build me one too!!J/K!!....keep smilin'1

Comment

• SuzzeQ4
                    Senior Dancer
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by apacheheart View Post
                    HEHHEH....
                    Suzze,I know how your son feels.Being that Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday,I'm partial to the pumpkin orange color myself.Really ,any shade of orange is eye catching to me(I have a black kitten with orange eyes,a real Halloween Kitty!),and that orange is really explosive.So if he's that crazy over the color,you may just have to make him one.And while you're at it,build me one too!!J/K!!....keep smilin'1
                    Yeah well his regalia has enough orange already, his entire apron is beaded, with a horse & sunrise, & the sunrise is mostly orange, and my fingers are just to sore from finishing this new apron to even think about anything new & my husband is busy with a bustle, so the kid is going to have to wait!! Got to say it again though it is very eye catching!!

Oh & yeah I'll get right on that for you (joke) actually my husand makes the Gustoweh's, I just bead them.

Suzze

Comment

• WocusWoman
                      N8tiffUmatillaMAMA
                      • Feb 2004

Interesting. Shall we refer to this particular man's headpiece as, "The Carrot Top" roach?

Comment

• biggurlbrain
                        Warrior Woman
                        • Aug 2005

i gotta get out more often,....lol

i have never seen anything like either of those items. the collar and the head piece. very unique, and beautiful. but i wonder how long it took to apply the face paint?
                        it's been a long time, shouldn't have left u.

Comment

• biggurlbrain
                          Warrior Woman
                          • Aug 2005

i gotta get out more often,....lol

i have never seen anything like either of those items. the collar and the head piece. very unique, and beautiful. but i wonder how long it took to apply the face paint?
                          it's been a long time, shouldn't have left u.

Comment

• SuzzeQ4
                            Senior Dancer
                            • Nov 2006

I keep coming back to this picture. One idea was that it was a Gustoweh, but now I don't think so, because then the top of it would be higher then the head. My opinion has swung back to the feathered roach, or as wocus Woman wants to call it the carrot top roach....still love it though
                            Suzze

Comment

• apacheheart
                              Teen Dancer
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
                              I keep coming back to this picture. One idea was that it was a Gustoweh, but now I don't think so, because then the top of it would be higher then the head. My opinion has swung back to the feathered roach, or as wocus Woman wants to call it the carrot top roach....still love it though
                              Suzze
                              HAHAAAHH!!...If you do make one(which I think you're leaning towards)post a pic....I'd like to see it.it is pretty nice,tho.But then again,his whole outfit is stylin'!....keep smilin'1

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.