Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Real Traditional Regaila

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Your Real Traditional Regaila

    Hope you guys can help me with this one. Been dancing for 3 yrs now as A traditional Dancer. Well most of the regaila you see in todays powwows is normally not what is traditional to that dancer. I have retired my orginal regaila and researched and put a lot of time into my new regaila. Its of the 1700s Cherokee era. Short Cut Leggins, Trade Shirt, Ball club, Round roach and some other minor items. I really love the look and I feel at home in it now.

    My concern is this. This year when the competitions start and I enter as mens traditional or sometimes called nothern traditional, Do I even have a chance if my regaila is not that of the other nothern traditional dancers? Just what is the judges looking for?

    Thanks so much.

    Sky

  • #2
    no mind to what they think. You are feeling your tribal wear and that is ALL that matters... You will be GREAT!!! They will need to be the ones worrying. Any elders there and those with your knowledge will be VERY happy to see the choice you have made. Please post a picture, would love to see what it looks like.
    Last edited by ftexan; 06-11-2007, 04:38 PM.
    Princess_Run_A_Muck

    Comment


    • #3
      I think it depends on where you're dancing. Some pow-wows place people based on dance and some judge based on appearance. If your judges only have a video to base their judging on, its likely you'll be based highly on how your outfit looks.

      But if you feel good in your outfit and you dance well, then Rock it and be proud!
      The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

      Comment


      • #4
        This is a tough question. There is really no one out there that can explain why someone wins over someone else. Sometimes it seems to be based on reputation. Other times it seems tribal members are given a bit of an advantage at their own tribal Powwow. Then yes, sometimes it seems that winners at some dances are beaded head-to-toe.
        I believe you are doing the right thing. You have to be happy in your Dance Clothes. If going with your Traditional Clothes makes you feel more comfortable and it brings out the best in you, then many kudos your way!!! Please don't give that up based on what the judges might think or if and where you "place" in the competition. Competition is only one part of a Powwow. It's NOT the most important part. Stay true Brother!

        *** Hope to see you in N Carolina in July!!

        Comment


        • #5
          That's a Tough One

          Originally posted by SkyEagle View Post
          Hope you guys can help me with this one. Been dancing for 3 yrs now as A traditional Dancer. Well most of the regaila you see in todays powwows is normally not what is traditional to that dancer. I have retired my orginal regaila and researched and put a lot of time into my new regaila. Its of the 1700s Cherokee era. Short Cut Leggins, Trade Shirt, Ball club, Round roach and some other minor items. I really love the look and I feel at home in it now.

          My concern is this. This year when the competitions start and I enter as mens traditional or sometimes called nothern traditional, Do I even have a chance if my regaila is not that of the other nothern traditional dancers? Just what is the judges looking for?

          Thanks so much.

          Sky
          'Siyo, asgayv!

          That's a toughie. We're not powwow people, we're stomp dance folks, anyhow. Traditionally.

          I wrestle with this as a Southerner and a Northerner.

          If anything, I'd say you're a Southern if you are Cherokee and dancing in our traditional men's outfit at a powwow, but good luck being the only guy out there whos not a straight dancer. Good luck
          Because of our treaty status, the distinction of being 'Cherokee' is a status of citizenship, not a racial issue.

          Comment


          • #6
            If you feel like you are at home in what you are in than you need not worrie about what others think.But on the other hand i will tell you this i have judged many of compatitions and you would be classafied as Southern tradish.Do you own a bustle?This is one of the things that they look at.Northern tradish wear bustles and southern dont
            MY HEROES HAVE ALWAYS KILLED COWBOYS

            Comment


            • #7
              A lot of contests are rigged anyways, and many times they already know who is going to win, before the powwow even starts. Like they will invite certain people, and gurentee them a spot in the finals if they travel to the powwow and so on. Not saying all contest powwows are rigged like that, but some are. And sometimes they do judge people based on thier outfits, and who they know and so on, just stuff that happens.

              I'm sure where you live, they have traditional powwows, where there isnt any contests. I don't mean to hate on contest powwows, but I was raised, and told by my elders not to dance for money, or contest. Some people do contest powwows just to dance and have fun, but then you do get a lot of people who are just out there to win, and make money. You should dance becuase you want to dance, and even many of our traditional powwows now are getting to be about money and so on. You always run into those people who just throw on any old thing, then go and register, do grand entry, then they go take their stuff off, and you dont see them again until payouts. It's those people who bother me, because they are just there for cash.


              so dont worry about how you look, or what your wearing, just get out there and dance, and have a good time.
              www.myspace.com/anishtradish

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by anishtradish View Post
                You always run into those people who just throw on any old thing, then go and register, do grand entry, then they go take their stuff off, and you dont see them again until payouts. It's those people who bother me, because they are just there for cash.
                I've been to traditional powwows around here where they get around this issue by paying out to only those folks who are STILL in regalia at payout time, not just those dressed out at Grand Entry...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SkyEagle View Post
                  Hope you guys can help me with this one. Been dancing for 3 yrs now as A traditional Dancer. Well most of the regaila you see in todays powwows is normally not what is traditional to that dancer. I have retired my orginal regaila and researched and put a lot of time into my new regaila. Its of the 1700s Cherokee era. Short Cut Leggins, Trade Shirt, Ball club, Round roach and some other minor items. I really love the look and I feel at home in it now.

                  My concern is this. This year when the competitions start and I enter as mens traditional or sometimes called nothern traditional, Do I even have a chance if my regaila is not that of the other nothern traditional dancers? Just what is the judges looking for?

                  Thanks so much.

                  Sky
                  At most powwows, you prolly wouldn't have a chance to place in a Northern Tradish contest. I've known quite a few Northern Tradish dancers from Qualla Boundary and I have yet to see one of them dress in an outfit that you describe at a powwow.
                  Don't get me wrong. I didn't say anything of the outfit you choose to wear. I focused on the sentence I highlighted. Also, you have to remember that tradition evolves. Why else would you see duct tape, CDs and film cannister on outfits today.

                  Good luck in your dancing. Do it the best you can.


                  Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?


                  "When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

                  Mr. Rossie Freeman

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by anishtradish View Post
                    A lot of contests are rigged anyways, and many times they already know who is going to win, before the powwow even starts. Like they will invite certain people, and gurentee them a spot in the finals if they travel to the powwow and so on. Not saying all contest powwows are rigged like that, but some are. And sometimes they do judge people based on thier outfits, and who they know and so on, just stuff that happens.

                    I'm sure where you live, they have traditional powwows, where there isnt any contests. I don't mean to hate on contest powwows, but I was raised, and told by my elders not to dance for money, or contest. Some people do contest powwows just to dance and have fun, but then you do get a lot of people who are just out there to win, and make money. You should dance becuase you want to dance, and even many of our traditional powwows now are getting to be about money and so on. You always run into those people who just throw on any old thing, then go and register, do grand entry, then they go take their stuff off, and you dont see them again until payouts. It's those people who bother me, because they are just there for cash.


                    so dont worry about how you look, or what your wearing, just get out there and dance, and have a good time.
                    When you get tired of going to those rigged powwows where the winners are preselected...

                    Hook me up with your fan!


                    Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?


                    "When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

                    Mr. Rossie Freeman

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                      When you get tired of going to those rigged powwows where the winners are preselected...

                      Hook me up with your fan!

                      lol Aye................
                      www.myspace.com/anishtradish

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by NorthofAda View Post
                        I've been to traditional powwows around here where they get around this issue by paying out to only those folks who are STILL in regalia at payout time, not just those dressed out at Grand Entry...
                        I'm seeing this more & more often & I know one that pays at the end of your exhibition (time unannounced) so as to stop those who re-dress at the end of the day.

                        Suzze

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SkyEagle View Post
                          Hope you guys can help me with this one. Been dancing for 3 yrs now as A traditional Dancer. Well most of the regaila you see in todays powwows is normally not what is traditional to that dancer. I have retired my orginal regaila and researched and put a lot of time into my new regaila. Its of the 1700s Cherokee era. Short Cut Leggins, Trade Shirt, Ball club, Round roach and some other minor items. I really love the look and I feel at home in it now.

                          My concern is this. This year when the competitions start and I enter as mens traditional or sometimes called nothern traditional, Do I even have a chance if my regaila is not that of the other nothern traditional dancers? Just what is the judges looking for?

                          Thanks so much.

                          Sky
                          Good question and one that I really don't have a answer for since I too am in the same situation. I have gotten rid of my "new age" traditional dance clothes and have made dance clothes that are/look identical to clothes you see in any "trip to Washington" pictures from mid to late 1800's. I applaud you for going back to your tribal clothes.
                          Traditions.....keep them and keep them sacred!

                          I am NOT Indian. I have never been to India, nor has any of my family before me! I have met these people from India, of whom you speak, and I am nothing like them. Why do you call me an Indian?

                          .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I wanted to inject my own personal experience here:

                            Around age 11 I moved from Ok to the Michigan/Indiana area.. at 16 I was considered by many the best dancer in the area..

                            I was competing in mens traditional at that age, not junior, placing in EMU, CMU, Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo, Navy Pier, Bay City, then further up north and over into Ohio.

                            We went to a powwow in KY... It was a 800 first place purse, and saturday, around 10 am, nobody was really there.

                            I signed up in mens traditional, feeling confident that I'd just have to beat the local talent.

                            I decide to run around, see who the judges were, stuff like that. The head judge was Michael Begay (I think thats right, it was either mike or mark) I can't remember who the host drum was, It was 10 years ago of course.

                            I decide its time to start getting ready, and as I'm walking to the van, I see Terry Fiddler walking up to registration... First Thought:

                            "Well, second is better than 1st place juniors"

                            10 minutes later... my heart broke. The "Native American Dance Theater" bus rolls up.. These guys were my heros... I immediately run up to the registration booth, and tell them I accidently signed up in the wrong category...

                            "Sorry, it's already in there, and we're not allowed to refund registration"

                            So... I was basically screwed. Then my drum shows up (Plainsmen) which I was told they'd be in SC, but RC told me he wasing dancing, so I was straight there. Aaron also said he wasn't dancing, and the rest of the guys were in the junior category.

                            Cheify Roy shows up....

                            I'm compleplating even dressing at this point.. Then my mom tells me if I don't dance, I gotta watch the booth.. So whats any guy do? (Work or dance? HA!)

                            We get thru the day, then that night we compete, we had a straight song, then crowhop, then sneakup.

                            Straightsong: I was very anxious, I was watching everyone, and just layin back a little, then I kicked it up the last verse and stayed in the light as much as possible, and made sure I got the judges attention.

                            CrowHop: Stole the show, screaming alot, very confident almost cocky, and was actually the first to switch from crow-step to the wardance.

                            Sneakup: Same as crowhop, I did the best I've ever done, in my entire dancing career - to date.

                            I need to mention:
                            At this time, I had no beadwork
                            I hadn't gotten my first eagle yet, I was wearing a spray painted buzzard bustle (not like a chicken bustle that looks fake, if you have questions on a buzzard bustle, I can tell ya how to make them look more real)

                            Terry Fiddler was in the golden age category.

                            I stayed up until 2 am that morning, with butterflys in my stomache, actually passed out from being worn out.

                            Sunday, they called for dance off, there was a 3 way tie!!!!

                            Cheify Roy was called up first
                            Then 2 of the guys from the dance theater.

                            I watched them hammer it out for 2 songs, and I was soooo impressed. These guys were world class, and I was greatful to even be considered competition!

                            As the day was winding down, the staff was getting ready for the giveaway, and I headed to the van to start undressing.

                            Mike (or mark, can't remember, but he is the artists cousin) came over to me, and asked why I was getting undressed
                            Me-
                            "Shows over man, I gotta help mom tear down in a little while"
                            Mike-
                            "The rules of the competition state that you can't claim anything if your in street clothes"
                            Me-
                            I laughed histerically "You can't be serious? Did you see the guys I was dancing against?"
                            Mike-
                            "Just amuse me, support the rest of the guys in your outfit will ya?"
                            Me-
                            "Sure, I wanna get a better look at Cheify's sequin vest anyway" (He was wearing that green and black one, not sure if you've seen it or not"

                            So, I go up to the arena, and take a seat on the bleechers

                            Forth Place Mens tradish, One of the dance theater guys
                            Third Cheify Roy
                            Second One of the dance theater guys
                            First "Number 69" I just kinda laughed... "Number 69 please come to the arena" At this point I started rolling, you gotta show up hella early to get that number.

                            Mike looks at me and shouts "Will you just get over here?"
                            I look down at my number, and SCREAM!

                            I don't think anyone has ever seen a slow super fast entrance like that to the arena ever... Took me 3 minutes to get there, but about 1 second from the bleachers to the blanket, like 5 steps, LOL...

                            I had NO idea I was going to place, let alone win...

                            They had beadwork, eagle bustles, names, style, and skill that I hadn't yet developed.

                            I asked mike why I won, he had one word for me

                            "spirit"


                            Dance with your heart, and thats how you'll be judged.

                            I need to add, that my feathers and lack of beadwork weren't the only thing against me, I also have light skin...
                            Last edited by Steffan Redhawk; 07-16-2007, 10:37 PM. Reason: Addition
                            AIM: GlacierESteffan
                            Yahoo: low_rdr
                            ICQ: 45338941
                            MSN: [email protected]

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              What Powwow's About

                              What a cool story, Steffan. This is what real powwow is about. The adventures we have, the people we meet and the good times we share. The contests just make it more interesting. It's about stretching ourselves to our limits, our physical limits as well as those intangible limits of spirit. Just out of curiosity, was that other dancer wearing Yellow or Green? Not every dancer has lots of beadwork, or has earned the right to wear a lot of eagle feathers. The category is traditional and what is traditional for you and your people is not the same as what is traditional for other people. If we don't protect our own traditions, then we will lose them. Congratulations to those dancers who go to the time and trouble to do research and make their regalia true to their own origins. There are, however, many people who have legitimate reasons to wear regalia of another tribe (adoption, marriage, whatever) and do so in a dignified manner honoring those people whose regalia they wear. If you are interested in winning, then sometimes its the "Original" that gets singled out and makes an impression on the judges. Good luck. When you dance, follow your heart and give it your best.

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Loading...

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X