Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roach Spreader

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Roach Spreader

    I am looking to buy a new roach spreader. The one that I currently have isnt making that much of a spread. Anyone know of a good place to buy one or someone that could make one?

  • #2
    Why not just get a piece of leather and put it under spreader?

    Comment


    • #3
      Thats a good idea I didnt think of that. Would I just cut it out in the form of the roach spreader but bigger?

      Comment


      • #4
        Basically yes. I would just cut a rounder big enough spread the roach they way you want it. Punch holes to line up with the spreader, and then thread your roach ties through the metal spreader, then the leather rounder.

        Comment


        • #5
          I like cutting them out of ice cream buckets LOL
          www.myspace.com/anishtradish

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by anishtradish View Post
            I like cutting them out of ice cream buckets LOL
            Are you eating the ice cream first?


            Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?


            "When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

            Mr. Rossie Freeman

            Comment


            • #7
              Ya know spreader is not what it should be called...It really is nothing but a feather holder. The roach should not actually have the spreqader pushing on the hair. It will wear the roach out faster than normal if it does. You want the roach to fan out more then you need to wreap it on a smaller bat. Just mist the roach hair with a spray bottle and then wrap it up on a small bat/stick and put it on the dash of a closed up car. Let it sit for the day and it will be dry and reshaped.

              Hope that helps
              PB49

              "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

              "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda


              My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by powwowbum49 View Post
                Ya know spreader is not what it should be called...It really is nothing but a feather holder. The roach should not actually have the spreqader pushing on the hair. It will wear the roach out faster than normal if it does. You want the roach to fan out more then you need to wreap it on a smaller bat. Just mist the roach hair with a spray bottle and then wrap it up on a small bat/stick and put it on the dash of a closed up car. Let it sit for the day and it will be dry and reshaped.

                Hope that helps
                Smaller bat? Thet's probably the opposite of what I would have suspected. PB49 can you explain why that works?

                I would assume then that if one has kinda a lay-down roach one can use a larger bat to make it stand up more?

                Thanks!
                "It doesn't really matter, they don't know any better anyway."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hobbs

                  Basically what is happening is...by placing the roach on a smaller diameter bat the hair is pulled in from the base to meet the bat putting an outward curve into the hair. Thus when the roach opens up, the curve in the hair will cause the hair to swing open even wider.

                  As to the other part of your post...Yeppers you can reshape with a larger bat and yes it should help stand the hair up more straight. The reason for this is because the bat meet even with the hair and thus it is not drawn in to meet the bat and it then runs more straight off the base thus allowing it to not open as wide. Now all this said...sometimes the base is just too loosely sewn to keep the hair standing up tall in which case you need to have the base replaced.

                  Hope that helps
                  PB49

                  "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

                  "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda


                  My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for the explaination PB49! Very interesting!
                    "It doesn't really matter, they don't know any better anyway."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Good explanation! I made my spreader out of latigo leather and sewed on film canisters for the feather holders. Then you can decorate with tape or whatever.
                      (not my toes...)

                      Don't know that much except what I've learned from others and my experience. I'm always learning from others, and I try to share what I've learned and help other people out too. Without love this world would be one sad place...

                      "You really shouldn't say 'I love you.' unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget." ~Anonymous

                      "The God who made the world and everything in it—He is Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in shrines made by hands. Neither is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He Himself gives everyone life and breath and all things. From one man He has made every nation of men to live all over the earth and has determined their appointed times and the boundaries of where they live, so that they might seek God, and perhaps they might reach out and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us. For in Him we live and move and exist (...)" ~Acts 17:22-31. Ephesians 3:3-4. Acts 1-10

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The mention of bats reminded me of a mini, team-logo baseball bat that my son gave me. It's 18" x 1¼"D with the usual taper down to about 5/8"D at the "handle end." It works well for a roach of about 12" to 15" length. These bats are manufactured in Pennsylvania: www.coopersburgsports.com.

                        I mention this for those with not enough time or tools to make their own bats. I've made plenty of hammer handles from scratch with a hatchet, draw knife, rasp and wood scraper. It shouldn't take too long to make a bat, (especially if you have a wood lathe). Another route to go would be to purchase a wooden dowel and rework it.

                        Bob & Evelyn Voelker were roach makers who lived near E. St. Louis, IL, and Bob would put a 15" roach on a 19" x 1¼" dowel, one of which I have. The sharp edges at the head end of the dowel were removed to about a 3/16inch radius to keep from damaging the roach. Voelker would drill a centered, blind hole on the end parallel to the length and insert and glue a ¼" dowel into the hole, the small dowel protruding 1½".

                        At the tail end, about 1½" from the end, a 3/8" hole was drilled through at right angles to the bat length. After the small dowel was inserted into the braid hole and the roach was folded onto the bat, the neck ties were run through the 3/8" hole, a LITTLE tension applied, and they were tied off. Then came the wrap, Ace bandage preferred.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Gledanh Zhinga View Post
                          The mention of bats reminded me of a mini, team-logo baseball bat that my son gave me. It's 18" x 1¼"D with the usual taper down to about 5/8"D at the "handle end." It works well for a roach of about 12" to 15" length. These bats are manufactured in Pennsylvania: www.coopersburgsports.com.

                          I mention this for those with not enough time or tools to make their own bats. I've made plenty of hammer handles from scratch with a hatchet, draw knife, rasp and wood scraper. It shouldn't take too long to make a bat, (especially if you have a wood lathe). Another route to go would be to purchase a wooden dowel and rework it.

                          Bob & Evelyn Voelker were roach makers who lived near E. St. Louis, IL, and Bob would put a 15" roach on a 19" x 1¼" dowel, one of which I have. The sharp edges at the head end of the dowel were removed to about a 3/16inch radius to keep from damaging the roach. Voelker would drill a centered, blind hole on the end parallel to the length and insert and glue a ¼" dowel into the hole, the small dowel protruding 1½".

                          At the tail end, about 1½" from the end, a 3/8" hole was drilled through at right angles to the bat length. After the small dowel was inserted into the braid hole and the roach was folded onto the bat, the neck ties were run through the 3/8" hole, a LITTLE tension applied, and they were tied off. Then came the wrap, Ace bandage preferred.
                          I've also seen bats fashioned out of the railing used for stairs. They generally have a flat side that I think can go along the roach base.
                          "It doesn't really matter, they don't know any better anyway."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            GZ

                            I have seen some interesting roach sticks over the years, most of which were hand carved. Some even showed signs of being steam shaped as well.

                            I am not sure if folks realize that it was not too long ago that dancers would make roach sticks/bats in custom shapes to give the hair of their roaches certain shapes and kinda a personalized style. Guys would wear roaches that the hair came straight up from the base like a straight dancers today but then the hair would bow way out and over, opening wide like a crow dancers roach but this effect started about 4" up the hair. This was not done with the "SPREADER" (I hate that name for that piece) but instead by shaping. There was an article written by Steve Eagles back in 1984 for whispering winds on the subject. Might have to see if I can post parts of it.

                            With all this said the shape of the hair on a roach is mainly determined by the stick/bat, however that is only true if the base the hair is on is a good one. Thin bases will not hold up over the long run and will become loose and floppy allowing the hair to fall out away from where it should be standing at. Only way to fix that is to replace the base.
                            Last edited by powwowbum49; 07-02-2008, 10:35 AM.
                            PB49

                            "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

                            "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda


                            My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

                            Comment

                            Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                            Related Topics

                            Collapse

                            • txchoctaw
                              reshaping
                              by txchoctaw
                              My roach has some hairs that are laying kinda weird, and I was wondering if reshaping it would fix that. However, a friend of mine said that if you do that, then you run the risk of losing some of the color. So my question is whether or not that is true.
                              04-10-2012, 07:50 PM
                            • Sezur
                              Porky roach!
                              by Sezur
                              Hey I've been searching for a very detailed instruction on how to make a porky roach. I can usually learn by watching somthin so if you know of any videos anywhere, tell me pleeeeeeeaaaaaaseeeeee...and thankya
                              10-12-2008, 10:56 PM
                            • CornHuskerFan
                              need a new roach
                              by CornHuskerFan
                              Does anyone out there know how to get ahold of JohnPaul the roachmaker? i have been wanting to order a roach from this guy for awhile now and NO ONE seems to know how to get ahold of him. i just like the way his roaches look. please help me out anyone out there.
                              05-13-2012, 12:55 AM
                            • paulflores
                              roach care
                              by paulflores
                              Hey, can some of you guys give me some ideas about roach care.
                              I don't want to use the ACE BANDAGE anymore due to the fact that it is starting to cut the hair.
                              I thought about using my little girls tights( If she don't get mad) but I don't think it will hold and it might do the same...
                              02-25-2005, 04:10 AM
                            • Guest's Avatar
                              Best Roach Makers
                              by Guest
                              Hey all. Just wondering what the concensus is on who makes the best roaches out there (Noc Bay, Crazy Crow, Doc's, Grey Owl, Matoska...) I traded my roach for a Mop Top. Even though I love it to death, it gets pretty hot underneath the cap, and I think a roach would be good for variety (and CIRCULATION)....
                              03-22-2001, 11:47 AM

                            Trending

                            Collapse

                            There are no results that meet this criteria.

                            Sidebar Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X