• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eap7
    replied
    Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
    Hey eap!

How was your powwow? Did you meet Adair? Small world huh?
    Yep Adair was on the committee with us 2nd semester when she got back from her internship. The dance went well even though we had to move it inside at the last minute due to rain!

Leave a comment:

• owlsong
    replied
    Miigwetch to all

Miigwetch to all. The dish soap was not strong enough and the Woolite was not either but what did work was soaking them in Oxyclean for about an hour in hot/warm water. There was most likely 10 years of nicotine on these feathers so something had to work hard to remove these stains. The prize under the stain was worth the effort and the feathers look great again.

Chi miigwetch to all of you for your suggestions.

Leave a comment:

• lilbigwoman
    replied
    I wonder is anyone has ever tried oxi-clean LOL[/QUOTE]

I HAVE...doesn't really work as good as wool lite tho...

Leave a comment:

• NorthofAda
    replied
    I used a similar process with the soap and the hair dryer - feathers (not plumes) came out nice and shiny. I didn't have Woolite so I used Johnson's Baby Wash instead.

Leave a comment:

• anishtradish
    replied
    woolite works wonders

I wouldn't use any soaps with color in them unless they were darker feathers, but I wouldn't trust any soap unless it was clear for white feathers.

I wonder is anyone has ever tried oxi-clean LOL

Leave a comment:

• lilbigwoman
    replied
    Originally posted by ac_miss View Post
    *ROFL* I can imagine that, Skeri!

Hmm...never bothered to check but do baby powder come in hypoallergenic?
    *shrugs shoulders* I dunno...I don't have kids...I jest know it makes my plumes all fluffy and smell sweet

Leave a comment:

• ac_miss
    replied
    Originally posted by lilbigwoman View Post
    you can jest put the baby powder on 'em anytime. be sure to shake 'em really good if you babypowder 'em up before you pow wow...otherwise you'll have a big 'ol white spot on your head...speaking from experience...
    *ROFL* I can imagine that, Skeri!

Hmm...never bothered to check but do baby powder come in hypoallergenic?

Leave a comment:

• lilbigwoman
    replied
    Originally posted by myles View Post
    whats up lilbigwomen how are you
    What Up Duck?!

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    Originally posted by eap7 View Post
    Yeah its Dawn...my mom told me to use some Dawn on some feathers because if they can use it on live birds in the commercials. I do like Tibiki Kinew said with putting them on a paper towel to dry overnight. If its a plume, use a blowdryer and it puffs up back to normal.

Question about the baby powder- does it fall off? Do you put some more on and how often? Its a cool idea. I never thought about that.

Hey eap!

How was your powwow? Did you meet Adair? Small world huh?

Leave a comment:

• lilbigwoman
    replied
    Originally posted by eap7 View Post
    Question about the baby powder- does it fall off? Do you put some more on and how often? Its a cool idea. I never thought about that.
    What you do with the baby powder is pour it on the plumes...then GO OUTSIDE and shake it out. While doing this the plume will get all staticy and fluff up. After you shake all the excess baby powder off, you have whiter plumes that appear to be double the size it was before. Look on myspace (MySpace.com - www.myspace.com/190745881) and I have a set that I cleaned and baby'powdered up. Actaully...they are in my gallery too...but yeah...after that, anytime you need to clean them or fluff 'em up again, you can jest put the baby powder on 'em anytime. be sure to shake 'em really good if you babypowder 'em up before you pow wow...otherwise you'll have a big 'ol white spot on your head...speaking from experience...

Leave a comment:

• eap7
    replied
    Originally posted by chazziff View Post
    dont they use dish washing liquid when they wash live birds that have gone thru oil spills? so i can see where it would come in handy with washing feathers LOL. i have heard about using baby powder on plumes ... im gonna try it this next time. my girls fluffs lookin pretty shabby right now. i have used baby shampoo in a pinch at the hotel room to wash plumez n a blow dryer ... works like a charm.
    Yeah its Dawn...my mom told me to use some Dawn on some feathers because if they can use it on live birds in the commercials. I do like Tibiki Kinew said with putting them on a paper towel to dry overnight. If its a plume, use a blowdryer and it puffs up back to normal.

Leave a comment:

• chazziff
    replied
    Originally posted by lilbigwoman View Post
    LOL...I Keep a lil'flat iron and a travel hair dryer in my pow wow suitcase so I can take care of my feathers after a ruff travel day...lmao!!! Along with my dental floss and glovers needle...which sits next to my colored duct tape!!! LMAO!!! NDN REPAIR KIT!!!
    OH i know ennit?!? and as soon as anybody knows you got this stuff ... its can you fix this or can i borrow that?!? LOL i should start chargin jkz

Leave a comment:

• lilbigwoman
    replied
    LOL...I Keep a lil'flat iron and a travel hair dryer in my pow wow suitcase so I can take care of my feathers after a ruff travel day...lmao!!! Along with my dental floss and glovers needle...which sits next to my colored duct tape!!! LMAO!!! NDN REPAIR KIT!!!

Leave a comment:

• chazziff
    replied
    dont they use dish washing liquid when they wash live birds that have gone thru oil spills? so i can see where it would come in handy with washing feathers LOL. i have heard about using baby powder on plumes ... im gonna try it this next time. my girls fluffs lookin pretty shabby right now. i have used baby shampoo in a pinch at the hotel room to wash plumez n a blow dryer ... works like a charm.

Leave a comment:

• ac_miss
    replied
    Good to know! I've been wanting to clean my niece's plumes (they were mine), so I'll have to try the woolite special. *LOL*I can't use the baby powder though. I'm allergic!

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.