Regalia Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theguyfromtatooine View Post
    Here are my final words: Maybe we will meet at the Gathering of Nations of Nations one day!
    Take care.
    OK, But you had better be arriving as a spectator.

Comment

And the winner of this fanfablous debate is..................................you decide. LOL
      Dance hard like there is no tomrrow. Hoka!

Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.

"Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

“We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear

Comment

Deleted
        Last edited by Kaina1128; 11-14-2018, 08:23 PM. Reason: Deleted

Comment

The point is, Native American cultures impresses me, otherwise i wouldn't search for the history of Native Americans, visit Native American web sites. And i even wouldn't try to learn some Lakota words. Traditional music and dances make me excited. What else can i say?
          Impresses you? I doubt you even know what Native American cultures are. Hell most Americans have no clue.

Learn Lakota words???? what good is that going to do you?

*sigh*

Maybe you can say "oh non Indians trying to be Indians offends Indian people.... maybe I should not do it?" That is a good start.

Comment

First, i like Lakota tongue. Second, i like plains culture a lot. Unfortunately, i have never been to a pow wow before.
            P.S.: I'm interested in plains and northwestcoast cultures. And, i'm a TURK, not an American.

Comment

how can i learn to dance?

can someone help meeeee?

...GoT GreaSe?...

www.Grease.It.Ayye.com
              RezinInc

sigpic

Comment

Nice joke.

Comment

First, i like Lakota tongue. Second, i like plains culture a lot. Unfortunately, i have never been to a pow wow before.
                  P.S.: I'm interested in plains and northwestcoast cultures. And, i'm a TURK, not an American.
                  Yes and as a Turk you have something in common with Americans...your not NDN!
                  As a Turk you have your own rich culture to learn about & be proud of. I know I've travelled there. I went as an NDN (cause thats who I am) seeing another culture, not becoming another culture. If you care about our cukture and people you won't beome one of those vultures trying to rip off our culture. Learn about our currant plights with our governments, about how neither the Canadian or American governments are willing to sighn the UN's declaration of Indigenous rights, how they ignore our treaty rights etc & educate others about these things but respect the fact that there are things about our culture we want to keep to our selves. This isn't your fault, this is because we have all these yahoos here on this continent playing NDN like the boyscouts. It has become a danger to our own people. With so many of our people removed from the culture & people by the government (as children) these people grow up & try to find their way back to the culture. I was one of these children And it was sheer luck that on my journey back I met actual NDN's to bring me back to the culture. To many get swallowed up by these wannabes who are like vultures & then they never know who they truly are. We have all seen this. Sure you probably won't do this because you live in Turkey, but at this point we can't be to careful. Please start by understanding this and respecting this.
                  Suzze

Comment

I know you are not an American. That makes your quest all that more ridiculous. If American people do not even know us... how can a Turk?

The point we are trying to make here is that our dances, our language and our cultures are ours. Not yours, not playthings. Imitation of our ways is offensive to us.

Sure you can learn our language and study our people but to become a dancer? By living in Europe how can you even know that what you have seen and read is even real and not the typical romanticized BS that is so popular? You have never even been to a pow wow and want to dance? do you not see how ridiculous you sound?

for over 100 years the American government has tried to destroy Lakota culture. Non-Indian people have taken even what remains of our culture/traditions and twisted it to their own needs. Our culture is ours not yours or anyone elses to take. The Boy Scouts have been in the forefront of the current cultural assault on Indian people.

I know you are probably thinking "I want to help preserve those ways." That is not for you to do, it is for us to do.

I am not telling you to stop learning... I am asking you to show a small bit of respect and understand that there are limits.

Comment

Originally posted by Dance 42 View Post
                      .................................................. ...........................I know you are probably thinking "I want to help preserve those ways." That is not for you to do, it is for us to do.

I am not telling you to stop learning... I am asking you to show a small bit of respect and understand that there are limits.
                      Well said, couldn't said it any better.
                      Dance hard like there is no tomrrow. Hoka!

Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.

"Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

“We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear

Comment

I respect your culture, i don't want to buy or steal it. If i were a Native American descendent, there wouldn't be any problem, am i wrong?

Comment

I feel like an attorney since i joined the site. In fact, i hate trying to explain my thoughts in such cases. First of all, i'm interested in Native American cultures since my childhood. I'm not an expert, but i know that native people have a very rich heritage. I read about famous leaders, such as Sitting Bull (should have i said Tatanka Yotanka?) and Black Kettle (should have i said Otavalo?).
                          I read articles about "Okipa" and sun dance ceremonies. And once again you should remember that i'm not a "wasicu". Take care.

Comment

I live in Turkey, but i have some information about the problems of native people. Alcoholism, drug usage, unemployment and suicide. And i know that Native American reservations in the USA have the highest unemployment rates.
                            I know "the stolen generations" and the keepers of native cultures. White people humiliated them and called them "blanket indians".
                            Here is something else. All my resources are books and internet. I would be happy if i had an opportunity to meet tribal elders. Maybe one day i can visit the USA and Canada. Then i can visit Black Hills and Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump.

Comment

I understand, this is your culture and you must keep it. But what's wrong wtih sharing your culture with sincere people? If it is something wrong, what do you think of Kevin Locke? He introduces native culture all around the world.

Comment

Regalia Advice

I'm not talking about western movies or something like that. I'm talking about the Battle of Black Hills, the massacres of Wa****a, Sand Creek and Wounded Knee. I admire artists like Gordon Tootoosis and Russel Means. And i want Leonard Peltier to be free!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.