Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Step

Greetings everybody,

I have always been fascinated with the "Two Step" dance. I had the privilege of doing the dance once and thought it was very beautiful. I would like to learn more about the history of this specific dance.

I remember a distinct memory I have doing the two step. I was once a member of the Great Lakes Intertibal Dancers who would go around Shorewood and Milwaukee Public schools to teach students of all races about Native American culture through the art of Native dance. I participated as a women's traditional dancer. While we were in a Shorewood grade school I was asked by Houston Wheelock a Marine veteran of the Oneida nation to do the two step. That's the first time I ever did the two step. I was honored to dance with Houston, because I knew and looked up to his late wife Scharlene Wheelock of the Menominee nation who was my cultural teacher in grade school in the WE Indians program. Very memorable indeed.

Thanks in advance.
    Wenona
    Last edited by azurebreeze; 11-04-2008, 02:28 AM.
    Wenona Gardner
    http://www.geocities.com/azurebreeze

It's sometimes called the 'Pickup Dance' because it's a way to pick up on, or snag, that good looking NDN girl you've had your eye on all powwow!!!

I'm jusss kidddin!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

You mean you weren't really eyeing me all pow wow? I am crushed.
      Don't compromise yourself. It's all you've got.

Janis Joplin

Comment

wow, surprising you've only run in to the 2 step once cause your website says you are a Mohican Woman, a traditional dancer & you teach school children about Native dances. I can't imagine a powwow without a few 2 steps.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
          wow, surprising you've only run in to the 2 step once cause your website says you are a Mohican Woman, a traditional dancer & you teach school children about Native dances. I can't imagine a powwow without a few 2 steps.
          Please read again. I never said I only seen a Two step once. My website says I have been a Native American women's traditional dancer which is past tense. I said in this post here I only had a partner to dance the two step with once. There is big difference.

So with that said, SuzzeQ4 what DO you have to say about the history of the Two step dance?
          Last edited by azurebreeze; 11-02-2008, 01:41 AM.
          Wenona Gardner
          http://www.geocities.com/azurebreeze

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X