Men´s crow straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men´s crow straight

I have a question. What is men's crow straight dance. Which clothes and regalia are used and which dance step is used. which are used song

Originally posted by hoppdi View Post
    I have a question. What is men's crow straight dance. Which clothes and regalia are used and which dance step is used. which are used song
    I have never heard of "Men's Crow Staight Dance". Perhaps if you told me where you heard of it, I might be able to do some research for you.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
    "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      I have never heard of "Men's Crow Staight Dance". Perhaps if you told me where you heard of it, I might be able to do some research for you.

Hist,

Try "Crow Hot Dance."
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Could you possibly mean the Crow Hop?? I have never heard of the dance that you are talking about...
        Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
          Hist,

Try "Crow Hot Dance."
          I'm aware of the Crow Hot Dance, and it's relationship to the Omaha Dance. In fact, the Library at Little Big Horn College has a good brief description on their website:
          Little Big Horn College Library

"The dance outfit and style of Crow men is unique and distinct from any other tribe. It derives from the original Grass Dance that spread across the Northern Plains in the late 1500s. The Crow received the rights to this dance from their relatives the Hidatsa in the fall of 1883. In turn, the Hidatsa purchased the dance from the Santee Sioux who refer to it as the Omaha Dance, since it is said that this dance originated with the Omaha."

"When the dance was brought to the Crow they were instructed by the Hidatsa of the spiritual nature of what the Lakota and the Hidatsa refer to as the Crow Belt, what the Crow call a bustle or Tail Feathers. They also instructed the Crow about the spiritual aspects of the dance and the associated ownerships that are the ritual positions. The people being adopted into it provided many gifts to those who induct them. These ownerships have been passed on and are still practiced today."

"The Crow call this dance the Hot Dance, because when they received it they were instructed not to eat as poor people. That is, to eat well, to eat fresh hot meat. The Crow therefore called it Baatawéelissuua, the Hot Dance."

"Originally, dancers in the Hot Dance wore only moccasins, breechcloth and a roach. They decorated their bodies and faces with special paint designs that originated in spiritual visions. Today the distinctive Crow men’s outfit is made up of a matching beaded set (headband, armbands, gauntlets, belt and belt pouch with trailer, and mirror bag). The roach is large and lays flat with rooster feathers at the side of the head. The men also wear matching capes and breechcloths often made of iridescent fabrics. The bustle is a cluster of feathers with two upright spikes and decorated trailer. Bells are worn on the ankles with bells and a strap of bells hangs from the waist and is secured at the ankles (not tied at the knees). Face paint is personal and family owned, most having originated in the visions of an ancestors."

"The dance is a distinctive flat step with a subtle heel kick, the foot striking the ground on the off-beat. Some Crow men will step on the beat when in competition since this is how other tribes dance and they know that non-Crow judges will deduct points for stepping on the off-beat. Nonetheless, the unique outfit and style of Crow men is easily recognized at any powwow."

Adapted from:
          Dale D. Old Horn, and Timothy P. McCleary
          1995. Apsáalooke Social and Family Structure. Crow Agency, MT: Little Big Horn College.
          1986. The Story of the Daytime Dance, Also known as the War Dance. Crow Agency, MT: Bilingual Materials Development Center.

Crow Hot Dance - circa 1900

Traditional Crow Dancers - 2004

Traditional Crow Dancers - 2004
          Last edited by Historian; 02-21-2009, 12:49 PM.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
          "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
            I've heard the "crow men's straight" dance was a category at Schemitzun Powwow in the year 2000.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
              Last edited by hoppdi; 02-22-2009, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X