Modern supplies in regalia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern supplies in regalia?

Well, this is just some thing thats been on my mind for a few days...

I was at a powwow recently, and I was concerned by some of the modern adheasives and such I seen used in out fits.

Im not knocking anybodys regalia, but on guy had a fan made from guerilla glue, he was useing a CD to spread his bustle, and his roach.

Another had hot glue holding his beastplate together.

And yet another fella had a backboard that was coverd in ducktape. With no effort to cover it up...

whats everone elses opinons on such things as guerilla glue, super glue, hot glue, ducktape, and CD's used in regalia?
    WHO NEEDS A SIGNATURE?

Dude...even Saginaw Grant has CDs on his Straight Dance outfit! hahahaaa

Use whatever works. Duct tape is, and always will be, part of an NDN toolkit!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

I have glue holding some of the leaves on my regalia on, sometimes you have to have a quick fix and you have to use what is on hand!!!

I've seen a lot of CD's being used as roach spreaders all over the country! and who hasn't held something together for a last mintue fix with duct tape or safety pins?
      Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

There is a line, somewhere......

CDs have replaced mirrors for some folks (they are cheaper and need less maintenance). So I don't really see anything wrong with that....

Duct tape and gorilla glue is a quick fix, okay. But I have seen folks whose feet were covered in duct tape cause the mocs had fallen apart. So there is a line there between temporary repair and not takin' care of your gear.

As for other modern things, well think like a Marine= improvise, adapt, overcome. I use liquid stitch and a sewing machine for ribbon work rather than sewing it by hand- its just plain faster. I don't think there is much gorilla glue visible on my outfit, but there is some there to help assemble things. I use bondo or wood putty on fans. And I use an old pair of workboot laces to tie my mocs on.

So, like I started, somewhere there is a line between ok and not, just don't know where it is.

Comment

Use the materials available as long as it is respectful. Like Legal straight said, there is a line between temporary repair and not caring. We use cotton, wool, satin, threads etc. At some point these were new modern tools to. There is a line and it can be seen with common sence and never crossed with respect.

Comment

When I make something I do a combination of traditional and modern logic. Like Suzz says "Use the materials available as long as it is respectful."

Fixing mocs with duct tape cause you don't care, well that shows lack of any respect for not only what you are doing but lack of respect to the dance you are being part of.
            Using cd's, I am okay with that too. Heck at one point mirrors were new! Go back before that and lots of the feathers that were traded from walkers/travelling traders were a new hot item! Adaptation is the only way. Some of the new ideas are actually good.
            Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
            Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

Each generation adapts to what materials are available to them at that time. Does buying fabric for a dress at Walmart rather than an old time trading post (are there even any of those left????) make me less traditional in my dress???? No, it's just what is available for making the clothes in my time.
              My Mammaw and PapPaw would of LOVED Walmart!!
              As for duct tape and safety pins.........in an emergency they are great!! But everytime we get home from a pow wow we check over our dance clothes and do any needed repairs then so that by the next pow wow we're ready to go.

Comment

i agree ....there is a line there between temporary repair and not takin' care of your gear ... every time we come home from a pow wow now, i get my girls to repair broken, missing, or lost items. i have also seen ... moccasins fully covered in duct tape that is a bit much i would say. i have nothing against duct tape, heck i have even used it to repair a blow out on one of my girls moccz when i have forgotten my repair kit (thread, needles, sinew and of course glovers) (placed the tape inside the moccasins where no one can see it LOL).

i am sure if our peoples had access to the majority of items we have today (satins, ribbons, canvas, big huge spools of man-made sinew, vast selection of colored beads (cut and seed) etc), they would have used them for sure there is no doubt in that.

mirrors can be quite expensive especially for that size (CD size) and if it breaks .. look thru your CD case in your car and find a scratched CD and there you are "whole" again LOL.
                Watch your broken dreams...
                Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

What do you think Trade goods were???
                  Wool from mills in England since the 1600's where 3 band and 7 band are still made and highly sought after!
                  Beads from places like Czechoslovakia and India since the 1700's
                  Cloth from factories all over Europe...
                  Mirrors were a very difficult material to come by in the 1800's so other materials were used in its place
                  We are just moving on to the next!!!
                  Ndns have always adopted new materials as they have become available and used them in ways not necessarily the original intention
                  I am sure the inventor of the Compact Disk never envisioned a day when his disk would be used to spread a roach!
                  And certainly micro fibers were never inteaded as a material for leggings but they look really keen and they are washable!

I do agree about duct tape as a temp fix and not be used for several years as I have seen some do
                  But hey what can you do if you are too busy dancing???
                  There is hardly an off season now days not like in the old days when you had all winter to replace pieces of your dance clothes
                  And ample time to sew new mocs and bead them
                  Last edited by Josiah; 05-25-2009, 05:08 PM.
                  ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                  Till I Die!

Comment

my adopted mother has held her leggings up with duct tape when her elastic broke.... she is tougher than I am.....I cringe at that thought... owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww was the nicest words that she said... i didn't know that little old ladies talked that way unless bingo was involved......

I've used duct tape to hold a mocc together till i could get some where and patch and sew it back together....but I do have to agree about the duct tape moccs all the time....just retire them and get a new pair or make a new pair....

it does seem like the off season get shorter and shorter and for some of us non-existant....but any major over haul has to wait until that time unless it's just something that is beyond a simple repair, ie: sewing it back together, replacing a few beads, or gluing a applique back on with tacky glue or wonder under.....

right now I am fighting a battle with my wrap skirts and my up and down weight... so I am loving safety pins.....

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by steelemagnolia63 View Post
                      my adopted mother has held her leggings up with duct tape when her elastic broke.... she is tougher than I am.....I cringe at that thought... owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww was the nicest words that she said... i didn't know that little old ladies talked that way unless bingo was involved......

I've used duct tape to hold a mocc together till i could get some where and patch and sew it back together....but I do have to agree about the duct tape moccs all the time....just retire them and get a new pair or make a new pair....

it does seem like the off season get shorter and shorter and for some of us non-existant....but any major over haul has to wait until that time unless it's just something that is beyond a simple repair, ie: sewing it back together, replacing a few beads, or gluing a applique back on with tacky glue or wonder under.....

right now I am fighting a battle with my wrap skirts and my up and down weight... so I am loving safety pins.....
                      My wife uses pantyhose tied around her waist to hold up the wrap skirts they work like a champ
                      ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                      Till I Die!

Comment

my mom and law has thick elastic garters for her stockings, they keep up leggings real well. As for the wrap skirts...they can be made so that they adjust to different waist sizes...

Comment

hummm panty hose.....Josiah does she attach the hose to the skirt or just tie them around her????

Comment

Originally posted by steelemagnolia63 View Post
                            hummm panty hose.....Josiah does she attach the hose to the skirt or just tie them around her????
                            she uses an old pair and just ties it around they stay right where she ties it and they dont slip
                            ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                            Till I Die!

Comment

well I'll be joining her on the circuit with an old pair of panty hose tied around me..... aren't we all just the most creative people on the planet???? We can find uses for everything that has ever been made....

Josiah tell the wife that I said thanks for the idea!!!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X