How to make a shield.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a shield.

I am wanting to make shield for my Outfit.. I was looking at the kit from crazy crow. But I am not wanting to have one that big.. I am wondering how everyone is making theres.. Thanks.. (wado)
    "Do not judge a man unless you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Rawhide stretched over a wooden hoop?
    ...it is what it is...

Comment

Originally posted by Highwolf89 View Post
      I am wanting to make shield for my Outfit.. I was looking at the kit from crazy crow. But I am not wanting to have one that big.. I am wondering how everyone is making theres.. Thanks.. (wado)
      so , cut it down !!!
      I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
      It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

My sheild is not Trad. but many people do like my sheild but mine is 1/4 thick ply wood with carpet pading glued to the back with a marine corp logo patteren glued to hidethe pad, then attached two leather straps for handles. I messured my arm then cut the wood to a perfect cirle the length I desired. Add ribbion and paint now I have what I have. Like I said its not trad. so I dont brag about it but like I said it looks good andhas just as much meaningto me.
        sigpicNight Wolf!

Comment

I've made a few shields for myself and others and find it pretty easy. I use a metal hoop for the form and soak a rawhide hand drum head in water until soft. I then make slits around the edge of the hide and weave rawhide lacing through. Draw the lacing tight and bend the hoop slightly if you want to add some curve to the shield. Once everything dries, it will remain hard and you can draw or paint directly on the hide.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.