Can I/should I use this dance stick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I/should I use this dance stick?

I am a women's traditional dancer...the trad. regalia here is a bit different from what I see is used in the US, some customs may also differ, I'm not too sure if that will make a difference in this case or not.

Yesterday I was gifted a dance stick, tipped with a redtail hawk claw and hawk feathers, I feel very honored by this but am unsure what to do with it. I've never seen women carry dance sticks, only men. Would it be right or wrong to use it when I dance? Nobody I've asked seems to know. Can't seem to find any info online searching either...I'm Cree if that makes any difference.

go ahead and use it. It was gifted to you. What's the worst thing that can happen, some new ager walks up to you and tries to tell you "you cant do that!!!!!" lol

I know in Ojibway land, women will carry staffs for whatever reasons, especially women veterans. I think in a lot of tribes, woman could use and do things men traditionally did under certain circumstances, like if they lost a husband or what not. I know women will carry things that belonged to men in honor of them and such.
    www.myspace.com/anishtradish

Comment

Yeah I too have seen Women Vets carry such items. Also sometimes gifts get gifted as part of a journey, you may be a stop on the journey to who the gift is ment for such as a brother, son, nefew etc. Personally if I am uncertain I generally go with no until I find the answer.

Comment

talk with the person who gave it to you. ask them what they intended you would do with it, and get the background on it.

Comment

Ok, I asked the fella who gave it to me, he laughed and said the dancing aspect didn't come to mind at the time, he just felt it was time for it to go on and he thought it felt right to give to me. But he thought about it and said he said he kind of sees it watching over something, not going places, but in the end it's up to what feels right to me...since I feel waffly over dancing with it, I'm feeling it would be appropriate to put it on my wall above where I keep my smudge/medicines...kinda like protecting that space. I'm comfortable with that :)

Thanks for all the advice :)

Comment

Can I/should I use this dance stick?

technology what to use hand craft a indian tee pee police auctions of battle creek, ... If we can detect and the thyroid and that this fact about what is a native ... of the light is from sponge to suppose that we should be said long night. ... But Man will what is a native american dance stick be as we know if .

Comment

Originally posted by ashiq2009 View Post
              technology what to use hand craft a indian tee pee police auctions of battle creek, ... If we can detect and the thyroid and that this fact about what is a native ... of the light is from sponge to suppose that we should be said long night. ... But Man will what is a native american dance stick be as we know if .
              ???WTH

What were you tripping on?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                ???WTH

What were you tripping on?
                No kidding...I had to read that about 4 times cause I just woke up and thought maybe I was still too tired...lol

Comment

Ashiq2009 is a bot trying to advertising mary jane and mary jane accessories. It's cobbling together a paragraph based on keywords from the thread (and who knows where else).
                  Cariblanguage.org

Comment

Good job guys!

Comment

I have never seen a woman dance with a dance stick, I have seen a few with staff but they are generally older women and they are used in place of a cane... Generally you only see men dancing with dance sticks...I don't know if there ia a reason that you could not. As the head lady, I'd have to consult some elders to see if they were ok with it.

I think that you might have the right idea for it to hang on the wall with your other special items...I have quite a few items on my wall that are watching over me and my home.....
                      Thankful for the blessing from the Creator in my life!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds

Comment

NW Ontario is CRAWLING with women with sticks. A lot of jingle dress dancers seem to have what they call thunderbird sticks, typically given out for healing or as namesake items. If you're Ojibwe or Cree, odds are good you know what I'm talking about. Don't see it as much down here in the states though... plains influence maybe, I dunno. Maybe Native Flutterby does.
                        Mii iw keyaa ezhi-ditibiseyaan

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

widgetinstance 224 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X