Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side tab & vest construction ideas

Mitakuyapi,
    I'm not gettin' any younger and figured I'd better start finishing out my bead sets, so I'm asking for your collective advice on the "how to" and best "materials" to make my side tabs and, "yipes..." a fully beaded vest. I have my designs and tons of the beads I need, just lookin' for teachers who can show me the way.

Pilamayaye,

Mike

Hello there, alot of vests are done on canvas, it can be drawn on very easialy and is like butter to bead threw. As far as side tabs you can do them as well on canvas, or buck skin its what ever you have and or prefer.
    I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

How are you transferring your patterns onto the fabric?
      I've been using a neat transfer paper...
      I'm looking to use canvas to bead on some things and velvet for others...also using suede or eelskin to line items...how;s that sound to the more experienced beaders here?
      I will be a good girl , I will be a good girl, I will be a good girl......awe hell, we know this ain't gonna happen....

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Subeeds Said:Want to borrow my .30/.30 or do you have your own weapon?

Pigheaded said: "How come noone ever wants to pull pork?"

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"

Comment

Originally posted by trouble View Post
        How are you transferring your patterns onto the fabric?
        I've been using a neat transfer paper...
        I'm looking to use canvas to bead on some things and velvet for others...also using suede or eelskin to line items...how;s that sound to the more experienced beaders here?
        I sew the beads together with the Wampum stitch first, then add it to the material, YOU will NEVER loose a single bead!!! With the Wampum stitch you can always, cut and redo areas that you do not feel good with, unlike any other stitch. This is also the only stitch that you can use to do 3-d work! I still thank the grandmother that showed it and shared it, now it is time to share the stitch that has one rule with it... Each bead a Prayer!
        Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
        Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.

Comment

TibikiKinew,
          I started out with that stitch last night, and simply fell in love...I believe it is going to be perfect for my projects!!!!

Each bead a Prayer!
          I LOVE THIS!!!...That's how I finally was able to master crochetting!!!!...Please share!!
          I will be a good girl , I will be a good girl, I will be a good girl......awe hell, we know this ain't gonna happen....

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"

Comment

TibikiKinew,
            I started out with that stitch last night, and simply fell in love...I believe it is going to be perfect for my projects!!!!

I LOVE THIS!!!...That's how I finally was able to master crochetting!!!!...Please share!!
            Glad to hear that!! Who showed you the stitch???? It is an amazing stitch,,, I can cover any object with the stitch, in fact there are a few of us covering paw bones from wolves and bears as pendants and then we are covering ribs as talking sticks... completely in Wampum. We are now working on bigger objects too, just for the sake of a challenge. To get tighter stitches on areas we can toss in smaller beads and then for the slightly bigger gaps we have been using bigger beads. For the talking sticks we intentionally add a bead that is not the same size... example we use size 10 for most of the work, then toss in one lonely size 8,,, like a worry bead to rub on while talking.,, really stands out and the people that have one play with that one bead subconciously!
            Listen to my heart, not just my mouth! The most powerfull thing we can do is,,,share,,, if we don't it dies with us.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.

Comment

example we use size 10 for most of the work, then toss in one lonely size 8,,, like a worry bead to rub on while talking.,, really stands out and the people that have one play with that one bead subconciously!

What a great idea!!!

I learned it on a website...took me a few tries to get it..but it goes so fast once you get the hang of it!!!!

Comment

What a great idea!!!

I learned it on a website...took me a few tries to get it..but it goes so fast once you get the hang of it!!!!
                Just remember if you use the stitch a bead,, a prayer! Then you will have great energy in your work.
                You should have seen the one man this year as he was gifted a rib of a deer covered in wampum beaded design by an elder,,, he was in tears seeing months worth of work being handed to him. He saw the work that went into it, not just the beading ,,, he saw the work too around the cleaning of the bone and the whole design. Rarely do people see the whole thing, they see only the surface and say so what! He not only accepted the talking stick but handed us Golden Eagle feathers for the hard work,,, now the elder was in tears as she petted the golden's sweet feathers. Gifting is so important and many stray from that aspect. The same man asked me for teachings the very next morning and I spent well over an hour before powwow began once more answering his questions by example not words. He is now a brother to me and I share with him many of the things I have learnt over the years.

Comment

such a beautiful perspective...thank you

Comment

Thanks so much. I used that technique on my cuffs and arm bands to transfer the pattern onto duck material. I doubled it to make it a little stiffer and this material resists water - so there's been zero rot of it. I was thinking for my vest and side tabs to use a craft image projector - that way I can make the image as big as I want, outline it and the go for it. The bummer about this technique is you have to be in the dark to really see the image well and it's not as sharp as tracing. But I think once I get the basic outline, I know what it's supposed to look like in my head. Thanks for the advice!

Pilameyaye,
                    TH

Comment

take your pattern, draw it on a paper bag, then transfer it to that white school construction paper. U'll have it for future reference.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Joe's Dad View Post
                        take your pattern, draw it on a paper bag, then transfer it to that white school construction paper. U'll have it for future reference.
                        Once you make one that way switch to leathers, and there go wild,,, I lace the whole vest together, NO SEWING at all!!! First off it looks hot and by the time you add all your decorations You will know how much time you put in it that it is worth it! I never use a sewn vest... doesn't have any appeal to me. I punch holes and do a braided lace to cover the actual lacing that combines the sides to the back, this way it is stronger and reinforced and maintains its form for many years. I have one vest that still is kicking around after 25 years that I made while on holidays.. a great memory. I too still have the white pattern in hard bristle board and now have more for other things. I have a filing cabinet full of patterns this way for just about anything.

Comment

Trouble, please share the website you found the elusive campus stitch directions on.
                          ...it is what it is...

Comment

Considering that I have in all my years never seen it published it will amaze me to see this too,,, and what is the campus stitch????

Comment

The Wampum stitch?...you haven't seen it online?..that's what I was responding to....what is the campus stitch? not heard of it....

that is the same stitching as i do on a loom

and off the loom done straight is similar to the peyote stitch here

which came from here:

which also shows rope stitch, twisted fringe, dragon strap,

some good you tubes for beading..

To view the next video in this series click: http://www.monkeysee.com/play/12887 Terri Gable of Studio Baboo demonstrates beading basics. She includes sever...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I wasn't able to find anything on the campus stitch...what does that look like?

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.