• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Powwow Dancer
    replied
    Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
    mile,

Apples and oranges. The Apache spruce back ornament (I don't think it was called a bustle) served a different purpose than both the original Crow Bustle or the modern dance bustle.

Many tribes wore different ornaments for different purposes on their lower backs.
    Thanks for the info. I did not know that.

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    Originally posted by milehighsalute View Post
    well apaches been using bustles made of spruce for a very long time....is it possible if any of the plains apache tribes also did spruce bustles like their western counterparts they may have the EARLIEST bustles? not arguing.....just wondring
    mile,

Apples and oranges. The Apache spruce back ornament (I don't think it was called a bustle) served a different purpose than both the original Crow Bustle or the modern dance bustle.

Many tribes wore different ornaments for different purposes on their lower backs.

Leave a comment:

• milehighsalute
    replied
    Lane,

Bustles were not originally worn in what is now South Carolina. Early artifacts that used feathers for your region were predominently turkey feathers. With the adoption of powwow, the Cheraw and other Carolina tribes have adopted the used of bustles to do powwow style dances.

Believe it or not, the earliest use of plains bustles included owl feathers which today is not the norm.
    well apaches been using bustles made of spruce for a very long time....is it possible if any of the plains apache tribes also did spruce bustles like their western counterparts they may have the EARLIEST bustles? not arguing.....just wondring

Leave a comment:

• Zeke
    replied
    Believe it or not, the earliest use of plains bustles included owl feathers which today is not the norm.
    True dat, yo!

Leave a comment:

• Joe's Dad
    replied
    Will a moderator put Soma to sleep...for good. LOL

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    Originally posted by Lane View Post
    I don't know which group to post this in. I am Cheraw from South Carolina. I don't have anyone here that I can ask this question to, so hopefully you can help me. I am just beginning to dance and I am making a bustle. I have imitation eagle feathers that I was going to use on them. However at the Catawba powwow last weekend I noticed no one was using imitation bald eagle feathers. They all appeared to be golden eagle. Is there a cultural reason for this?
    Lane,

Bustles were not originally worn in what is now South Carolina. Early artifacts that used feathers for your region were predominently turkey feathers. With the adoption of powwow, the Cheraw and other Carolina tribes have adopted the used of bustles to do powwow style dances.

Leave a comment:

• wardancer
    replied
    I would agree with rwb , and would like to add that the bustle is a tradition of the Plains Tribes , not necessarily from your area.

Leave a comment:

• running_with_buffs
    replied
    morning sir,lane i think that the balds just never got popular to use on the powwow circuits,mainly going back long time ago that the imatture and muture golden eagle feathers was and still is most sought after,lots of people used to and still do use these in cermonies and just me anybody else can chime in i was always told that these feathers was more powerful.

Leave a comment:

• Toolbox
    replied
    This is the right section to ask this question. There a number of factors here. The first is feather use differs between tribes. The second is if the person is a card carrier and has the paperwork they are going to use real feathers. I have seen people use them, very rarely, in a pinch but it's only because they either didn't have enough feathers or they were place-holding while they were waiting for a delivery from the repository.

To get a real answer on your tribe's use of feathers is to track down another member or elder and ask them. You may luck out and someone here may have the specifics of your tribe's feather usage but chances are you may not get a solid answer here.

Leave a comment:

• Lane
    started a topic Bustle

Bustle

I don't know which group to post this in. I am Cheraw from South Carolina. I don't have anyone here that I can ask this question to, so hopefully you can help me. I am just beginning to dance and I am making a bustle. I have imitation eagle feathers that I was going to use on them. However at the Catawba powwow last weekend I noticed no one was using imitation bald eagle feathers. They all appeared to be golden eagle. Is there a cultural reason for this?

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.