Mop Tops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mop Tops

Anyone got any good ideas on Dog Soldier Hats? I just got done making one and i'm kinda pleased. I think i can do a better job with it though.Just wondering on some of you guys ideas on the matter.
    Thanks

What ideas are you looking for:Thinking

Comment

just ideas on attaching the feathers to the hat and getting it to lay right. One of my pals wrapped the whole quill 4-5 inches up, kinda like a bustle. It layed nicely and real uniform. Mine is not full enough or uniform enough

Comment

I tabbed each feather individually, then tied each one down separately. When I was able to see how they layed down I could then fill where needed. I did mine on a ball cap, beaded the brim, tipped the row over the brim with angora & used a crimpping iron on the angora to get a wavey look. On some of my feathers I used pinking shears to give depth & demension to the feathers. How'd you do yours??

Comment

same principal as that. Icut the quill at an angle and tucked it back inside itself. It took awhile that way. Iwas wondering about other ways besides that. I used a ball cap and beaded it also. What do you mean by tabbed? I've seen some that were tipped in that manner. cool

Comment

tabbed- cut piece of leather a little wider than quill that goes up 1 1/2 to 2" from tip of quill, pinch bottom together, glue both sides of tab, press together, crimping along quill, let dry, cut off excess on both sides of quill, so that quill looks like it's sheathed in leather, wrap 3-4 times around quill with sinew. never had problem with coming loose or losing a feather.

Comment

______

Wearing a Dog Soldier head dress - just because it looks cool . .

. . . is like wearing a Vietnam conflict medal because it looks cool.

Dog Soldier head dresses were earned. This information is in respect to those who are in the Dog Soldier Society today.
              Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

I dont mean to be disrespectful about this but how many folks are wearing these hats who are supposed to? What about other items in a tradish outfit??? I just wanted info, not to be talked to like a dog for wanting to learn something! Like I said I dont want to be rude with this but come on be cool!!

Comment

Look in general crafts there was a pretty good thread. It discussed who was allowed to wear them, diffrences between mop tops and dog soldier hats, and tips on how to make one.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe
                    ______

Wearing a Dog Soldier head dress - just because it looks cool . .

. . . is like wearing a Vietnam conflict medal because it looks cool.

Dog Soldier head dresses were earned. This information is in respect to those who are in the Dog Soldier Society today.
                    Originally posted by diddle1
                    I dont mean to be disrespectful about this but how many folks are wearing these hats who are supposed to? What about other items in a tradish outfit??? I just wanted info, not to be talked to like a dog for wanting to learn something! Like I said I dont want to be rude with this but come on be cool!!
                    WhoMe actually has a good point here and I don't think he was rude just for bringing it up. If you dance in some areas and wear one, it is the local elders who might truly talk to you "like a dog". Are you prepared for that? It's up to you .... I don't mean to rag ya.... ;)

Now then .... are you using magpie feathers? The better bonnets I've seen are fairly dense with feathers - I've seen some that look like cut-bill baseball caps with maybe two dozen feathers like it was a rush job throwing it together. That pinking shears idea sounds interesting. Here's a pic of one of my favorite dancers who wears one. Notice the colors he put on the tips of many of his feathers. The picture was overexposed and really bleached out some of the color, his outfit looks really fantastic with the matching beads on the fringes.

"Friends don't let friends drink decaf..."
                    Wakalapi's $49 unlimited phone service www.49deal.com

Comment

hwah!

Wow. That has to be THEE single sweetest regalia I've seen in a long time. It's an honor and an inspiration to see such a thing.
                      Kudos and props.
                      Mii iw keyaa ezhi-ditibiseyaan

Comment

WoW!!

"Wow" is not even the word to describe that dancers Regalia!!! It's inspirational, exquisit, gorgous.......wow. :)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X