let's talk bustles!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• let's talk bustles!!!

Ok if you have seen the thread "let's talk roaches" I want to create a similar thread about bustles!

What region did the bustle originate from?

What tribe(s) originally wore the bustle?

Who was allowed to wear a bustle?

What are different materials are bustles made of?

Ok if you can post pictures of your bustle or a bustle you relay like. And discuss how you made your bustle.

I hope this turns out to be a good thread!
    Eutrinka

_____

Okay, I guess I will go first.

_____

The term bustle is an English word used to describe the bunched material on the back of a formal long dress.

Each tribe that had the bustle called the bustle by its tribal name.

The people of the great plains were responsible for it's diffusion.

The Umonhon (Omaha) tribe were popularly known to have one of the earliest forms of bustles for their grass dance society. The Gros Ventre had the earliest form of round eagle tail bustle.

Grass dance leaders wore a "Crow Bustle" to signify their title. Dancers who did not have this right, tucked tufts of grass in their belts and moccasins - Hence, the "Grass Dance."

The earliest Crow Bustles were made of bird of prey feathers. This included eagle, hawk, falcon and even owl feathers. The actual body of a raven/crow was tied next to the bustle.

As the bustle spread to other northern tribes they adapted different structural differences.

In the 1700's the pheasant was introduced to the plains from Europe. It too was used to make early bustles. These unique feathers were prized because of their thinness and banding.

___

Next . . .
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Show off! :Chatter

:D Just kidding!!

Comment

Why don't southern straight dancers wear bustles??

Comment

Originally posted by Steve StopsOnTime
          Why don't southern straight dancers wear bustles??
          We don't wear them so all our snags can check out our flat NDN a$$es......

Actually, WhoMe has it..... Straight dance clothes developed from the dress clothes of non-bustle wearers (minus the grass), though the otter tail also had war honors associated with it, especially when it was attached to a bear claw necklace.

Some additional info to go with what WhoMe said.... on the opposite side from the crow skin was a wolf tail, and the two spikes sticking up symbolized arrows in the bodies of the fallen. The whole thing was a battle field after a battle, hence the predatory and scavenging birds used.

Also, old bustles ALWAYS used two trailers, cause men wore them on their horse (both in battle and when acting as hunt police), with one trailer falling on each side of the horse. I think the single trailers got started in South Dakota in the 1920s.
          Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism.

Comment

Great Post

Excellent Post there WhoMe!

Fantastic and accurate information and very well said.

Comment

Let me know if this is a good idea

well any way, my name is Evan, n im from oregon and am 14 years old.I'm from the Kiowa/Comanche/Lakota/Cherokee nations but i also have adopted Makah. Last sept. (2003) i was bull riding n got bucked off and broke my neck.i dislocated c1 c2, shattered the disc tween c3 c4, n broke c4 c5 but i didnt get any damage to my spinal cord, just some swelling around it but i can walk almost normal again. but i cant ride bulls any more so im goin to start dancing in mens northern trad. one of my uncles is making me a double row bustle, he said cuz its my first 1, he's going to make it out of all goose or goose and hawk.if he is going to make the outter row w/ goose no matter what and im going to have him put white fluffs on the end w/ horse hair off the fluffs. then if we use goose 4 the center row then im going to have him put white buckskin circles on the end, but if we use hawk we're going to leave the ends plane. then 4 the center of the bustle im going to have him bead a medicine wheel then bead 4 eagle feathers off of the wheel, then light blue in the open parts of the wheel and around the wheel/feathers. then im going to have another uncle make me a 12" nat. color roach w. 2 spreaders that r beaded the light blue then the center of the roach to the end my grandmother is going to bead it light blue w/ a creators eyes and beaded eagle feathers down the center. then a blue ribbon shirt, then im going to carry a eagle fan in the left hand and a large medicne wheel my grandmother made me in the right hand. but do u know any web sites i can go to that show good pics of men northern trad. ragaila? specially the bustle i could use 4 a model. thanks alot, bye
              Strong Eagle
              Evan Ferns

Comment

another post

i already got my ideas started i just wanted to see sum pics of others. and i've looked already in the powwows gallierys and they r good. i drew up a pic design of what i want in the middle of my bustle, so go to www.Indiancenter.net or .org or .com, i 4get which one, but its the site of a center i belong to, the Southern Oregon Indian Center or SOIC, pernounced in abb. SO-ICk....but u navagate through the site, u should see the centers costom design. im going to use that cept the circle the sourounds soic im going to devide it up in the 4 colors of the four directions red,white,red, and yellow. then the soic letters im going to bead each letter 4 each of the colors,S will be red, O will be black,I will be yellow, and C will be White, then in the open areas of the inside of the circle w/ be light blue (the whole center beaded) then im going to use cananadian goose feathers 4 the outter row of the big row w/ white fluffs w/ dark horse hair off the fluffs then the innter row will be real hawk. then all the dowls w/ be a blue yarn. then my spreads will be beaded in a light blue like the bustle center then down the middle of the roach will be a big beaded eagle feather then 4 my two roach spreaders im going to use hawk. then 4 my fan will be hawk that one of my uncles is gifting me (along w/ the bustle and roach hawk feathers) then a big (1 1/2 ft from side to side medince wheel w/ a hawk feather in the middle. then a eagle feather im going to tie on to it that i was gifted. so it will be a cool ragailia! let me know what u think..thanks
                Strong Eagle
                Evan

Comment

sounds grate

well your bustle idea sounds grate. the details you gave, gave me an idea of what it looks like... when you have a chance, try to poast a pic of your bustle. ill try to poast a pic of mine, i have the pic on film but i havent goten it developed. here is a pic i got off of Gathering of Nations.

http://209.61.156.185/images/wallpaper/menNORtrad.jpg

it has some grate looking bustles on it. there is a doubble row bustle on there.

looking forward to seeing a pic of your bustle,
                  Eutrinka

Comment

Good info. Some clarification.
                    We are told The original crow, called "gaxe miga" did not have a bustle with it. There are 6 or seven in museums including the one Lewis and Clark got in 1805 or so. Thats' way back. Some are in the war bundles. They were a crow or raven body, head facing backwards. Wings went up when tied on. There were quill ornament in the spike of the wings. The tail hung down and had quill work on the centers. These were actually worn in to battle and by the Akedda (police) By 1850 the bustle was developed and La Fleshe has photos of those on Omahas. The crow and wolf tail was on either side. there were different reguirements to wear the wolf tail so they were not always there. It was as str8tdancer49 says. In the Hethushka only two crow' were worn. one with dark feathers and one with black tips. All other dancers had other parts depending on the office, including wolf skin robes, jaguar or panther robes and otters, depending on your station and office. Members had seats based on thier office and clan.
                    My bark is worse than my bite

Comment

Originally posted by storm
                      Good info. Some clarification.
                      We are told The original crow, called "gaxe miga" did not have a bustle with it. There are 6 or seven in museums including the one Lewis and Clark got in 1805 or so. Thats' way back. Some are in the war bundles. They were a crow or raven body, head facing backwards. Wings went up when tied on. There were quill ornament in the spike of the wings. The tail hung down and had quill work on the centers. These were actually worn in to battle and by the Akedda (police) By 1850 the bustle was developed and La Fleshe has photos of those on Omahas. The crow and wolf tail was on either side. there were different reguirements to wear the wolf tail so they were not always there. It was as str8tdancer49 says. In the Hethushka only two crow' were worn. one with dark feathers and one with black tips. All other dancers had other parts depending on the office, including wolf skin robes, jaguar or panther robes and otters, depending on your station and office. Members had seats based on thier office and clan.

Any idea which museums have the 6 or seven "gaxe miga?" I sure would like to take a look. Also is the crow bustle from Lewis and Clark available for viewing?
                      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

The three crows from the Lewis and Clark expedition are on the galleries at the Peabody museum of Ethnology. Also the new book detailing the collection has a chapter on them with good close ups. Other than the Peadody, and at least one in private collections. I can get the exact info tonight when I get home. The two in war bundles (I have seen one of them) were collected by M. R. Harrington in OK. and were Sac and Fox. There are also a few quilled belts, and 1890 bustles out there.
                        www.peabody.harvard.edu/Lewis_and_Clark/
                        The rest of the site has a searchable digital database of material in the Peabody collection.
                        Last edited by storm; 03-03-2004, 01:32 PM.

Comment

locations of known crows are:
                          3 from Lewis and Clark at the Peabody.
                          1 at the Heye foundation collected by Harrington(Sac and Fox)
                          1 at Milwaukee Public collected by Alanson Skinner. (also sac and fox)
                          1 at the filed Museum chicago collected By Paul Radin (it is winnebago)
                          2 at the Ethnological Museum in Berlin (one possibly Dakota) the other Oto collected by Duke Paul of Wurttemberg.
                          There are a couple others still with the war bundles held by the keepers.
                          This does not include quilled belts, White wolf robes, or swan ornaments that would have been associated with the belts.
                          That is a total of 8 published and and 2 unpublished "gaxe miga"
                          Last edited by storm; 03-06-2004, 02:30 PM.

Comment

ill put mine up, but how?
                            I'm interested more in self determination than gender equity. In other words, changing white men for white woman in the structures of power, does nothing to transform the opression in my community.

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate... Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]"
                            -Captain Jack Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by redthunder
                              ill put mine up, but how?

The easiest way is to upload your pic into the gallery, then post a link to your pic here.
                              The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
                              -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.