Best Feathers for spreader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Feathers for spreader

What kind of feathers should I use for my traditional roach spreader? Jumbo, pointers or what? I have a few jumbo barred turkey feathers, unpainted, and they are in good condition but I dont know if I should use them

Feathers for the spreaders

Hi
    I would use the tail feathers if you have them for the spreader.
    Chi Migwetch, WPD
    Asema Is Sacred
    Traditional Use, Not Misuse
    Wakan Tanka please have compassion on me.
    OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.

Comment

even if they are not painted

Comment

should I use them even though they are not painted?

Comment

Yeah I agree w/ White Powwow Dancer....... Tail Feathers look the best......... if you can't get eagal, use the Black & White painted one.......... Just a lil help............. Toksa:)
          "Suta Waci" Dance Hard..... dance for those who can't dance and the ones who danced before us...

Comment

dose this mean that I need to paint the feathers that I have? or have someone paint them? or just buy painted ones?

Comment

Hi
              Goto The Feather Source for the painted eagle feathers.
              Chi-Migwetch, WPD
              Asema Is Sacred
              Traditional Use, Not Misuse
              Wakan Tanka please have compassion on me.
              OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.

Comment

Crazy Crow also has good hand paints.

Comment

I agree with the others, get the best painted you can, or go with a decent all white turkey tail feather. Use good masking tape on the edges and trim it to look like an outside eagle tail feather. Always tape feathers before timming. Now for the lecture: There is a reason these feathers are used. there is a reason and a tradition around every part of these clothes. To best honor them do your best to follow the traditions. I know the difficulty of obtaining feathers etc. etc.This is a hard way. We are told on a male dancer there is one thing you should not fake, That roach feather. You can make a macaw fan, etc. But that roach should be for real...For me (but I am a hard head stuck in my ways) I would not dance without that feather.
                  I guess there are rules in scouts about feathers...They have good intentions, but only illustrate their ignorance of these ways.
                  If you went to a Catholic church the priest would insist on his religious materials being authentic. However,Good Luck..
                  Last edited by storm; 01-31-2004, 02:45 PM.
                  My bark is worse than my bite

Comment

Pards;
                    I think we had a thread on this a while ago . The answer to this is mainly just use hand painted turkey. I use some Mature eagle hand painted ones that a friend and I painted . we sat down one day at dinner and painted all the feathers for his bustle, and still had time to watch " the lord of the rings: two towers " before we bedded down for the night.Try looking and checking around with people , most expierenced dancer's and crafters will teach you how to paint feathers for free.

Rob young

'i believe I can fly'
                    Rob Young

Comment

"I know the difficulty of obtaining feathers etc. etc.This is a hard way. We are told on a male dancer there is one thing you should not fake, That roach feather. You can make a macaw fan, etc. But that roach should be for real...For me (but I am a hard head stuck in my ways) I would not dance without that feather.
                      I guess there are rules in scouts about feathers...They have good intentions, but only illustrate their ignorance of these ways."

It is hard to obtain feathers Most of all real eagles. I have a fan that is large and all barred turkey feathers. There are regulations in BSA saying that all bird of prey feathers are a big "no-no" and I dont need fish and wildlife coming after me for having eagle feathers. i dont have friends that would even have the real thing and definately wouldnt part with them even if they did so my only option is to buy hand painted ones. I dont think I have the ability to paint my own. (I am looking a little pale for it)

I did a dance demonstration today FYI.

Comment

by the way that was a quote from storms last post

Comment

I appreciate your problem. buy the best you can get then. I see you are of Cherokee desent. Those folks used turkey a lot. One of the best non-eagle fans I ever saw was a wild turkey tail,set flat. They used only half a tail, (thats 12 in a turkey) every other feather mostly the thinner outer sides and one center. It was long and elegant, not too wide and the top flared a bit because of the shape of the untrimmed tail. good luck
                          Sorry, I forget many folks have to worry about fish and game.
                          My bark is worse than my bite

Comment

my fan has 10 large turkey wing feathers with the tops cut flat on one side of the quill (to shorten the feathers back towards the base from the center) it has a perfect curve to it so that I can do the figure 8 twirl (thats what I call it)the feathers are stacked evenly and smaller turkey feathers are at the bottom of the fron and back as to fill in gaps. it has a plywood handle covered in brown leather with 5 inch fringe and a beaded rossett. between the handle and the feathers is a 2in. wide strip of brown rabbit fur

it was made by 10-bears Regailia by Charles Layhay and he dose quality work

Comment

I would have to agree with all the others that have spoken before me. If you can't legally own feathers, find the very best hand paints money can buy.

NocBay, crazycrow, feather source all have handpaints. I think most of them run about $5 a piece.
                              The things you are doing today are the traditions of twenty-five years from now.
                              -Daryl Baldwin: Miami

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X