Yet another Bustle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Bustle Question

Ok all you Ojib's out there, especially the northern traditional dancers, I have an honest question about the construction of my bustle.

I have just been told I will be given 42 to 48 large turkey feathers for my bustle construction, however I also would like to incorporate an inner ring of Hawk feathers.

Is this traditional, or something completely off the wall??? Honestly?

Thanks!!
    Ezaasakwaadek-bkwezhigan ndaa miijin

~Though I wear a shirt and tie
    I'm still part red man deep inside!~
    <Paul Revere and the Raiders>

A very wise old Chief (Archie Mosay) once said to listen carefully when a White man tells you specifically that he won't do this or that, because more often than not he is telling you EXACTLY what he IS about to do.

bustles

It is not old style traditional but it is contemorary traditional.The best way to find out is to ask an elder that is from your neck of the world.The idea is not off the wall .I see many bustles with the 2 layers of feathers.If you go into the gallery (men's northern traditional ) you will see alot of bustles with the 2 layers.

Comment

Nashkay... in some places they will say not to mix those feathers on a bustle. They would say somthing like "how often do you see the turkey and the hawk working together?" They woould say it's ok to have tirkey feathers in your bustle and hawk feathers on your dane stick and maybe some eagle feathers in your sockets, but not all in the same bustle.

Anawi ... I have a bustle that is old style and is mixed hawk, owl, eagle, raven, and crow - it is similar in a way to those old sioux bustles. It is a hunters bustle and those are all birds that have a keen nose for a kill. Back in the Sook'out - that's unusual, but it's still traditional - just like my big ol' septum ring and coyote head-dress.

I say go for it if it is somthing you really want to do. You have to honor your thoughts-which is a good segway into what was said before. Also - if you are in the city or a border area (near sioux, 6 nations, etc. ) the eachings and styles are more likely to be different than they are at the core of our nation -where our only neighbors are ourselves. Our nation covers a lot of territory too, so if you ask around enough, someone will probably say it's a good thing to do. A lil tobacco on clean ground never hurts to clear up any confusion you might be having.

If you are still nervous about your thoughts on how to make this bustle, then maybe ask an elder. This may garner a small piece of insurance, but keep in mind that elders-even from the same area- have grown up with different teachings and may even disagree.

That's it for my thoughts right now.

Mii awe.
      Mii iw keyaa ezhi-ditibiseyaan

Comment

Miigwech niijkiwenyag!!!

I will continue to look for advice so I do not embarass or show disrespect or honor to my ancestors. It does not help being the one of very few Ojib here in Tenn.

naagaj
        Ezaasakwaadek-bkwezhigan ndaa miijin

~Though I wear a shirt and tie
        I'm still part red man deep inside!~
        <Paul Revere and the Raiders>

A very wise old Chief (Archie Mosay) once said to listen carefully when a White man tells you specifically that he won't do this or that, because more often than not he is telling you EXACTLY what he IS about to do.

Comment

Originally posted by ron red eagle
          Miigwech niijkiwenyag!!!

I will continue to look for advice so I do not embarass or show disrespect or honor to my ancestors. It does not help being the one of very few Ojib here in Tenn.

naagaj
          I'm with you ron. I ask for advice on here and get alot of good response in the threads and pms. It's good to ask so I don't do any thing to offend the other grass dancers. But this is good to learn about the pow wow in general. Alot has changed since my dad danced.

:D

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.