Anyone know where to buy these??? ASAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know where to buy these??? ASAP

My son is going to start Straight dancing this weekend. We have made him an awesome outfit, all we need is the finger woven garters and belt. Anyone know where we can purchase some. The colors are forest green,lime green, red, orange, yellow, med blue.
    Last edited by Polly Powwow; 07-12-2004, 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling error
    "Some of ya biggest haters are really ya biggest admirers. Their pride and fear won't allow them to tell ya the truth!" Litefoot

Issy Umsheid might have some in stock...look to pay around $300 for a set with beads. I don't know that he sells any without beads, but, they're typically cheaper.

All he probably has are sets done in the arrowhead pattern....the most commonly seen pattern around. I do fingerweaving, but, unfortunately, I don't have any sets for sale.

But, anyhoo....Issy's a good guy, he'll fix you right up if he's got it on hand.

He get's all his weaving from some folks in Florida, who have it made in Guatemala. It's nice weaving....it's 100% wool, with beads woven into it. It's usually alot cheaper than buying a set made here in the US, you'll pay around $450 or more for a set. It might be made in Guatemala, but, it's still fingerweaving, and it's still pretty nice stuff!!

I don't bad mouth the weaving from there, because I know how much work goes into making a set.

Anyhoo....enough ranting.

Two Pony Trading Post
    1147 South Royal Road
    Wichita, KS 67207

(316) 686-8147

I purchased two sets from him back in the early 1990's, and one set from the company in Florida before it was under it's current ownership, and prior to that when it was run by it's founder, Dick Carney, when he operated out of Doyline, LA.

My sets are around ten years old now, still look good, and they seem to get better with age. They have a nice "fluid" movement to them.

Typically, he'll have sets in the Sportweight yarn, but, if you can get the heavier yarn sets....go for it, I dunno, I just seem to like that bulky yarn look I guess....but, anyhoo.....
    "This next song goes out to some girls in dot com. They don't know who they are, but, it doesn't really matter anyway."

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, I will check them out.
      "Some of ya biggest haters are really ya biggest admirers. Their pride and fear won't allow them to tell ya the truth!" Litefoot

Comment

If he's out, then you might want to consider calling around to some pawn shops in Oklahoma....but, I doubt you'll find anything under $600.....and when you do, it'll probably be all torn up or just not worth $50.

The Osage Tribal Museum sometimes has sets, as does Cliftons in Pawhuska. I've spied a few at the Osage Trading Posts, but, I heard they closed down, so, I dunno.

Also seen some at Lyons Indian Store on Elgin Street in Tulsa.

Those are other options available to you.

There was a set on Ebay about two weeks ago....no one bought it, so it got pulled by the seller. bummer....it looked like a nice set too.
        "This next song goes out to some girls in dot com. They don't know who they are, but, it doesn't really matter anyway."

O. Wilde

Comment

Finger Woven Sash and Garter Sets

Have you tried the following website:

The Sashes listed, with photos, are in stock and ready to ship. He will also take special orders for specific colors, patterns, or special sizes.

Patterns on site include:
          Arrowhead
          Chevron
          Diagonal
          Diamond
          Double Lightning
          Ladder
          Lapped Chevron
          Lapped Diagonal
          Lightning
          Korean War Service Ribbon Colors
          Vietnam War Service Ribbon Colors
          Gulf War Service Ribbon Colors

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
          "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Comment

Hmmm...never seent that site before.

What's with the "bead effect"? It's not that hard to add beads or to incorporate them into weaving. It's just getting the placement in the right place when you start weaving, even then, you could still change the bead placement on the carrying strand.

Some of the weaving looks pretty good....not that I'm an expert, but, I've done some weaving in my short time on this Earth.

The straight sets are a bit different than the atypical straight set, but, they'll do. Heck, I've seen just like one long strip just hanging from either side of a dancers waist...looked fine.

You can't beat the price on this weaving....that's for sure!! It's very reasonably priced considering the length and width of the pieces.
            Last edited by Mr Bo Jangles; 07-22-2004, 11:38 AM.

O. Wilde

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X