Roach conditioner???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roach conditioner???

When I was given my roach several years ago it was mentioned that I should condition it with something. I haven't felt the need to until now and I am not sure what to use. I have heard lotion and then brush/ comb with a baby comb. I have heard mink oil. I have heard hair conditioner..so what do you all use to condition your roaches or do you ffind it necessary? Thanks! OP1
    OrangePridendnds1
    "What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
    Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator
    ...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.
    Mourning Dove Salish 1888-1936

Yeah.....don't let the hair get too dry and brittle or your roach will fall apart. A friend of mine recommended Vitalis oil for men. I used it and it made my roach nice, supple and shiny. Try it!!
    "DANTS in beauty!"

Comment

My son's roachmaker recommened pure lanolin. Works great but smells funky.

Comment

My dad is a roach maker and we use lubriderm lotion. Put it on both sides of your hands, rub and then start at the base of the hair w/ your hands lightly pressed together and gently pull up.

Comment

I use Infusium 23 leave in conditioner. But I've heard of cedar oil, skin so soft horse mane conditioner, ad nauseum. I will say this though: a friend of mine uses his dad's 30+ year old roach and it is in great condition. Every month the takes care of the roach.

Comment

Using conditioner on the hair of a roach, whether deer tail hair, porcupine guard hair, or turkey beard hair, is a good idea, but keep in mind that a little bit goes a long way. You do not want to slather it on, and make a gooey mess. You want the hair to be moist enough not to become brittle and break, and yet dry and lite enough to bounce and sway as you dance.

I condition my roach only once a year. I boil a kettle of water with olive oil mixed in the water. I hold the roach over the steam, and the moist steam heat helps the oil to be absorbed into the hairs. I try not to brush my roach, as this may pull and stress the hairs, increasing the chance of hairs breaking, or even having the knots come loose. Instead, I gently separate the hairs with my fingers, or sometimes I may use a tooth-pick.

Lastly, storing a hair roach properly will always help increase it's lifespan. I keep my roach formed around a cedar post, and wrapped with an ace bandage.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
            "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.