Roach attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roach attachment

I have never worn a roach before. I am wanting to know how to attach the roach to the head. I know that it can be done using 2 scalp locks held with pins, but what about the German silver spreaders. Tell mw how this works? How is the feather attached to the spreader and how does the spreader stay in place and the roach in place?
    Sonny Arm IN Trout

Sonny--there are several ways to attach to roach to your head. Oftentimes only 1 scalplock is required. The roach spreader should have a socket attached to it and the roach feather slides down onto a metal wire that comes out of the socket. For the scalplock to work on the spreader, the spreader should have a hole in it large enough for your braid to go through. Many roaches have two smaller holes that are for the shoelaces to go through and tie under the chin. The beauty of the scalplock method is that all you would need is to run the scalplock through the hole and anchor it with a roachpin (stick) through the braid. About 3/4 down toward the end of the roach, a set of ties are run through the base and are tied around the neck. If your spreader only has to two small holes for the shoelaces, you can have a local silversmith punch a larger hole over the two smaller holes. Another thing you may want to check is the wire coming out of th socket. Individual smiths will put differing gauges of wire in the socket. If the wire is not heavy and the feather slides off of the wire easily, some folks willl get a needle nosed pliers and bend the tip of the wire over like a small hook, so the roach feather will not slide off of the wire. It would be most embarrasing for you to be dancing and your roach feather leaves you. I would cost you in reputation and financially. Hope this answers some of your questions---;-)

Comment

roach attachment

Thats that was a lot of good to know info, thanks again, Sonny
      Sonny Arm IN Trout

Comment

Sonny --

I again urge you to go to the pow wow you plan on dancing at and make friends who are in the pow wow community. You can learn much better from these people in person. That is the way you opperate when you're first going into a pow wow community anyway. If you're a first-time-dancer at 56, then I suggest you make friends in that community, and when they, you friends, think you are ready to enter their circle, they will invite you to dance, and even help you a great deal with your regalia.

- Robby
        "It is strictly believed and understood by the Sioux that a child is the greatest gift from Wankan Tanka, in response to many devout prayers, sacrifices, and promises. Therefore the child is considered "sent by Wankan Tanka," through some element--namely the element of human nature." - Robert Higheagle, Lakota Sioux -

-- If we don't teach our children about our culture and traditions, that we feel are being stolen from us daily, then at present we are just as guitly of the offense.

Comment

i attatch my feather to my spreader the ndn way.........

duct tape... :Chatter :Chatter

Comment

"I again urge you to go to the pow wow you plan on dancing at and make friends who are in the pow wow community. You can learn much better from these people in person. That is the way you opperate when you're first going into a pow wow community anyway. If you're a first-time-dancer at 56, then I suggest you make friends in that community, and when they, you friends, think you are ready to enter their circle, they will invite you to dance, and even help you a great deal with your regalia"

Gotta agree with RoBbY. Don't just throw yourself out there - also - talk to more than one person....Most important - talk to people in your own tribe -- they know your ways and what is and isn't appropriate. Don't go with the first person that says they can help -- maybe they don't even have the right to do this for you.....

Comment

yeah, um... i had the same dilemma when i first got my roach. i ended up attaching everything my own way that i figured out using trial and error. i just kinda kept sticking pins and stuff up there, and, hey, it worked! haha. just wanted to let you know your not the only one who couldnt seem to work it all out naturally. must be us choctaws, or something jk.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X