Difference is Roach Feathers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference is Roach Feathers ?

I have noticed that while most Straight Dancers who wear the traditional single roach feather, will use a golden eagle "blade" tail feather (one of the two outermost feathers in the tail set). However, there are a certain percentage of dancers who wear the "center" tail feather.

Anyone like to comment on why the center tail feather is sometimes used?

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
    "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

In this day and age it is most often what someone can actually get their hands on...more over weren't traditionally the inner feathers out of a tail used to make a fan with since they were larger.
    PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Yup... I second PWbum's idea - there's lots of guys who have non-"blade" feathers...... and the idea about the fan makes sense too.

12 feather tail - 1 blade for daddy and one for his son (or two for daddy - you se that more and more), one of the center feathers for the wife (plumes for the daughters) and that leaves you 9 keen tailfeathers for a fan.....
      Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism.

Comment

yeah, since theres two center feathers why not use one for the roach?
        "Most of you dont like me, All of you dont have to. But from the bottom of my heart, Thanks for noticing me!"-Nashoba Simmons

Comment

I've not used a "blade feather" for straight, but in my olden fancy dance days, I used two nicely matched ones with the rocker.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X