Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to get to know one another better.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get to know one another better.

Don't get me wrong but, I was wondering, just out of curiousty, how many Boy Scout and Boy Scout Leader's post regularly on this forum?

Because, when I read these post's they are very informative. And, I try to get an ideal of the person doing the posting by reading their avatar and they don't always list being a member of a tribe.

I mean we are who we are, that is the way God made us. And, a lot of times it seems a though the person making a post with no tribal identity on their avatar knows more about any given situation than most. And, I guess I'm trying to get an ideal of how much of what I read is written information and how much of it is oral information.

Thank you and God bless you!
    Last edited by wa-zha-zhe; 05-22-2007, 05:00 PM.
    wa-zha-zhe

Wa zha zhe

Are you wanting everyone to list their pedigree for you? Many folks on this board want anonymity (though few really have any on here) so they come up with screen names that are vague and do not list where they are from or even if they are native. Many member register multiple time under various names for this same reason, so good luck getting many folks to fess up.

Since I list myself in a vague manner I suppose I might fit your query. I will tell you about me so you no longer have to wonder. I was a scout for a time of my life, I even earned the rank of Eagle Scout, but about 20+ years ago I got out of scouting cause I joined the military and I never got active again after I left the service. I list myself as Heinz 57 cause I am just that. My ancestry is German, English, Irish, Norwegian, French Cherokee and Mataponie/Pawmunkee or in other words ...a mutt. l have been powwowin for 30+ years now and have talked to many people over the years about what goes on at powwows and why things are done the way they are. I have also read many books on native subjects...some I found informative and some I found ridiculous.

So with all that said maybe now you can decide how you will take what I have to say on here. Just one question for you though...if you want to know if someone read something or was told it...why not just ask them. Most people on here are just posting their personal opinion anyway.
    PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

When I was a boy, I was a Boy Scout. When I was older I helped with some of the Boy Scout Troops in the areas I lived. I know of many NDN people who were Scouts and leaders. I don't guess I was a very good Scout because I didn't make it to Eagle Scout.

Remember that the oldest Boy Scout unit in the USA is or at least was in Pawhuska and was an NDN Boy Scout Troop. This was our own Osage people.
      Last edited by CHEROSAGE; 05-23-2007, 01:39 AM.
      BOB

Comment

Originally posted by CHEROSAGE View Post
        ......I don't guess I was a very good Scout because I didn't make it to Eagle Scout.
        Don't be so sure of that. I know a lot of darn fine Scouts that never made it to Eagle. I also know a few Eagles that aren't worth their salt. Not knowing you personally, but judging by the things you say, I'd be willing to bet you're one of the good ones.
        Ron

Comment

I have nothing against Boy Scouts or Boy Scout Leaders. I should have came out and asked directly if those posting are tribal members or not. That is what I was trying to ask. Forgive me for trying to beat around the bush.
          wa-zha-zhe

Comment

I started Boy Scouts......didn't advance any----guess I'm still a "Tender Foot"! Ayes....ennit???
            "I'd rather be @ a POW-WOW!"

Comment

May I start a new catagory called Tribal Scouts, this could also include Gril Scouts I suppose?

I could be called multiTribal.
              BOB

Comment

May I start a new catagory called Tribal Scouts, this could also include Gril Scouts I suppose?

I could be called multiTribal.
                Why not, by all means! Go for it, Bob! I'm sure it would catch on.
                wa-zha-zhe

Comment

i was raised on the rez and didnt have access to things like the scouts. But, as adults, my brother and i moved to the city and were made scoutmaster and an assistant scout master in our NDN church congregation. the "blind" leading NDN SCOUTS.

Comment

On February 23, 2007 I responded to a February 2, post by Whome regarding "white bashing" in the "powwows.com," "powwow talk" forum. I talked about my whiteyness, which is Irish and English inherited.

In 1949, I learned bogus dancing in the Scouts in St. Louis, MO, at the age of 13. Even at that age, I knew something was wrong, because we used drum signals like the Aztecs; no singing. The dances were choreographed, even the "war dance". It wasn't free-form.

I never lost interest, however. I started going to rez powwows in the 1950's, and I've been at it ever since.

I never made it past 2nd class in the BSA.

P.S. Three wa-zha-zhe dancers were present at the last Ponca hethushka, I believe all from the Pawhuska district.

Since I've been in and near the circle so long, a lot of what I post in the forum is from oral transmissions. Because I'm white does not mean that it all comes from books, magazines, and the Order of the Arrow.
                    Last edited by Gledanh Zhinga; 05-27-2007, 08:39 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Thank you, Gledanh Zhinga!
                      wa-zha-zhe

Comment

What if their called NDN Scouts?
                        BOB

Comment

What if their called NDN Scouts?
                          Hey Bob , My G-Grampa was an ndn scout , made sgt. ! LOL
                          I believe blood quantums are the governments way to breed us out of existance !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
                          It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

sigpic

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Comment

Im a Proud native mama of two scouts! they love it and im glad I let them join they have already been several places made gobs of friends and always have a huge smile on thier face. Yeah Ive seen some lame stuff and I have no problems saying so . Ive been asked to help on better understanding our native ways and we as a family dress'd for them and they really seem'd to enjoy hearing us talk.
                            I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

I want to come in and say thank-you to the mystery repper!!!
                              I got a fevah! And the only cure is more cowbell!!!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.