• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OKC_taxlady
    OKC_taxlady
    • Feb 2008

Need ASAP Can anyone dance at PowWow?

Can anyone dance around the circle at the PowWow. I noticed or think that the announcer after several groups have danced, that they said we could? I am a non Indian (Norweign) love to go to Powwow's. I bought a shawl, as someone told me women cannot be in the dance without one, are there some special steps? Sorry just need help, hope that you more experienced dancers, participants are not laughing too loud! Thank you Helene We are going to the Keetoowah Celebration in Tahlequah, OK Oct 3-4, 2008
  • SmilezAlot
    >&a mp; amp;amp; amp;gt;& amp;amp;lt;& amp;gt;&l t;&a mp;amp;a mp;l t;
    • Aug 2004

Hello:)

Yea, at all the powwows I've been to anyone willing to dance in the circle is very welcome. The MCs usually announce intertribals and at that time everybody is welcomed into the circle to dance.

Hope this helps you some

Comment

• they_drag_him
      Banned
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by OKC_taxlady View Post
      Can anyone dance around the circle at the PowWow. I noticed or think that the announcer after several groups have danced, that they said we could? I am a non Indian (Norweign) love to go to Powwow's. I bought a shawl, as someone told me women cannot be in the dance without one, are there some special steps? Sorry just need help, hope that you more experienced dancers, participants are not laughing too loud! Thank you Helene We are going to the Keetoowah Celebration in Tahlequah, OK Oct 3-4, 2008
      there are no special steps, just walk slowly around and move your steps to the beat. keep your shawl over your shoulders. intertribal songs are when you are allowed to dance, here is a link to an intertribal that should help you:

YouTube - industry powwow 1991 intertribal II

Comment

• Josiah
        Powwow Dude
        • Jun 2005

Yes it is called Intertribal
        Perhaps you should read some of the threads on Powwow Info

Here in OKC there are many powwows throughout the year
        ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
        Till I Die!

Comment

• 2 BEARS
          GOT FRY BREAD? :0)
          • Sep 2008

everyone is welcomed to join in..when the ceremony dances are done..the honoring the elders and veterns and such..the announcer usualy says that all amy join at this time and they welcome any and all dancers at that time! glad to hear that even the none indian can still appreciate a pow wow and enjoy your self..thats great! i wish more were like you.everyone is welcomed and welcomed to dance at our pow wows.ours is oct.18-19...land of the falling waters pow wow in jackson ,mi . i am
          one of the organizers for our pow wow and security and enjoy seeing people having fun eating and dancen all day. enjoy your self

rgds: robert bonham aka TWO BEARS

Comment

• Fat Albert
            Eater of all frybread!!
            • Oct 2003

Pay attention to the head staff. The basics are easy to pick up if you pay attention. It has been said before but the MC is always letting you know what is going on. Make sure you find a seat that allows you to hear what he is saying. If in doubt, as the arena director but try not to be pesty. The AD will be busy and will try to make time to help you usually but they have an important job to do in the end.

Comment

• CHEROSAGE
              cherosage
              • Apr 2002

First of all, OKC TAXLADY, welcome to Powwows.com and to our Straight dance arena. I hope and pray that all is good with you and your family. We are a family as Straight Dancers though we may vary in Tribes and somewhat in traditions. Many of us are of our Societies and enjoy our dance, even at Powwows.

I believe your (?) has been answered very well. Just go and have fun, enjoy yourself, be confident in yourself and dance when you are invited to go out and dance. This invite may be from the MC, a friend or someone sitting near you. I'm not one to believe you have to be a FBI to dance and have fun at the Powwows. These are not our ceremonials although many Powwows may and usually do incorporate some ceremonial aspects into the Powwow.
              BOB

Comment

• Gledanh Zhinga
                Blacksmith
                • Apr 2005

Southern women. The body rises on the downbeat step.

Comment

• OKC_taxlady
                  OKC_taxlady
                  • Feb 2008

Thank you all for helping-dancing at PowWow

Thank you each one, first for taking time to answer my questions, and second for your helpful suggestions.
                  Yes, I do listen really carefully to what the MC is saying, mostly because I want to learn all I can.

We have been attending pow-wows for about 2 years, and if nothing else tries to hinder us from going , to Tahlequah, OK tomorrow (husband accidently dropped a steel 2 inch pipe on my foot, while we were getting our fishing poles) but we are ready to leave Friday for the Keetoowah Indian Celebration. I recently read a good true story book, about this Celebration and the Trail of Tears.

What I really love about attending the pow wow's, is the SPIRIT, warm and friendly, that I feel when we attend. I feel that the true Indians, who are performing, and all the others, are very special people, and this overflows to us watching and yes I enjoy all of the festivities.

So if any of you attend this one, this weekend, and you see an elderly, long blonde haired granny, seeming to be out of whack, dancing, just think to yourself "Goodness, that must be that lady from OKC?" God Bless you all, Hugs Helene

Comment

• Joe's Dad
                    The voices tell me...
                    • Nov 2004

Thank you each one, first for taking time to answer my questions, and second for your helpful suggestions.
                    Yes, I do listen really carefully to what the MC is saying, mostly because I want to learn all I can.

We have been attending pow-wows for about 2 years, and if nothing else tries to hinder us from going , to Tahlequah, OK tomorrow (husband accidently dropped a steel 2 inch pipe on my foot, while we were getting our fishing poles) but we are ready to leave Friday for the Keetoowah Indian Celebration. I recently read a good true story book, about this Celebration and the Trail of Tears.

What I really love about attending the pow wow's, is the SPIRIT, warm and friendly, that I feel when we attend. I feel that the true Indians, who are performing, and all the others, are very special people, and this overflows to us watching and yes I enjoy all of the festivities.

So if any of you attend this one, this weekend, and you see an elderly, long blonde haired granny, seeming to be out of whack, dancing, just think to yourself "Goodness, that must be that lady from OKC?" God Bless you all, Hugs Helene
                    This just reminded me of those bonker things at Chuck E Cheese!!!

Hope you have fun and dance hard!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

• 2 BEARS
                      GOT FRY BREAD? :0)
                      • Sep 2008

just remember to enjoy your self and to have fun :0)

the first one i took my wife to i can still remember the look on her face when the host drum started playen...lol...she held her arm up with goose bumps..lol..i tell people to get used to the goose bumps because they'll have them all day! our pow wow is in 2 wks..oct.18-19...god bless good people like your self OKC_TAXLADY that enjoy being part of the goodness of a pow wow. and hurt foot or not i know you'll dance your best..the great spirit will take care of you :0) enjoy your event, i cant wait for ours :0)

''AHO''

Comment

• 50cal
                        is lost in reality...
                        • Feb 2004

Need ASAP Can anyone dance at PowWow?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wow I knew a girl from Heil.......best 30 days of my life......
                        sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

• OKC_taxlady
                          OKC_taxlady
                          • Feb 2008

TO 50 CAL: I cannot understand why you added the "shooting" at everyone in the small attached video; is that good etiquette for any posting here?

Comment

• OKC_taxlady
                            OKC_taxlady
                            • Feb 2008

TO 2 BEARS: Thank you for the sweet reply, where is your Pow Wow Oct 18th? We will be looking for more Nov-Feb, then I will be busy with another Tax season (I am ERO, reg. with IRS, as a Tax Practioner, my 25 tax clients call me THE DEDUCTION QUEEN, LOL!)

Eventhough the pipe fell on my foot, I was thrilled for 2 reasons: One- it healed itself, so we could walk around more at the Keetoowah Celebration; Two: it did not bruise up, which gave me a vote of confidence, that eventhough my CBC blood tests came back high for white cells, I feel that they are mistaking, and there is no cancer present!! Otherwise, it would have bruised up)

We had a great time, lots more people there than last year; rained early Sat morn, but cleared; did not do any bingo or crafts, as Glen's toe was suffering; Pow Wow started much earlier than what was scheduled, and went well into midnight-we tuckered out at 9:30pm, and hated leaving, since we put money in a jar for a 50/50 drawing. I got up to half of a dance. I asked some ladies in Indian costume's if I could walk with them next time. When they asked I jumped up, but hated not doing more. All in all was good. Thank you again, 2 Bears, enjoy your Pow Wow, in what state do you reside? Dumb question, but you are a drummer? then from what Indian heritage? Is your wife Indian? So nice conversing with you. Truly God's "Great Spirit" was present again, through all the dancers, and performers. God's very best to you and your loved ones, Helene

Comment

• they_drag_him
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2006

TO 50 CAL: I cannot understand why you added the "shooting" at everyone in the small attached video; is that good etiquette for any posting here?
                              he's a warrior and he's defending our country against radicals who want us dead.
                              Last edited by they_drag_him; 10-07-2008, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.