X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josiah
    replied
    Originally posted by OKC_taxlady View Post
    I moved to OKC area around Oct 1995, not many months after the Murah Bldg Bombing. I too lived, and had a 3 acre farm in Everett area, actually south over that long bridge that took you to Snohomish, called the Machias area. Borne and gre up around Greenlake in Seattle, not far from Fisherman's Wharf in Ballard, called the Scandanavian area;my Grandpa had a fishing boat, then my Uncle and Dad took over it, I don't know what happened to it. They used to all fish in Alaska, the Bearing Seas, so I grew up on fish. Sorry, I am digressing, lol. I have been to Whibey Is too, gorgeous.

Since we are not too far from one another, would you occassionally let me know of any Pow Wow's, say not as far drive as Tahlequah, lol? I am just getting the pictures I took, and will find out HOW to post them here. Gods Best Josiah, Helene
    I am very familiar where your talking about
    Lived and worked in Everett

May I suggest popping in the Okie thread
    Somebody usually posts info about a powwow
    Here is the link:

Leave a comment:

• OKC_taxlady
    replied
    Thanks Josiah

I moved to OKC area around Oct 1995, not many months after the Murah Bldg Bombing. I too lived, and had a 3 acre farm in Everett area, actually south over that long bridge that took you to Snohomish, called the Machias area. Borne and gre up around Greenlake in Seattle, not far from Fisherman's Wharf in Ballard, called the Scandanavian area;my Grandpa had a fishing boat, then my Uncle and Dad took over it, I don't know what happened to it. They used to all fish in Alaska, the Bearing Seas, so I grew up on fish. Sorry, I am digressing, lol. I have been to Whibey Is too, gorgeous.

Since we are not too far from one another, would you occassionally let me know of any Pow Wow's, say not as far drive as Tahlequah, lol? I am just getting the pictures I took, and will find out HOW to post them here. Gods Best Josiah, Helene

Leave a comment:

• Josiah
    replied
    Thanking you JOSIAH, I of course did not know the "termonology". I was just trying to defer from me as a "dancer" and the regular, all dressed in their feathers as dancers, lol. Appreciate the correction, my aim is NOT to upset or offend anyone. I am just an old granny novice to the Pow Wow, and will still attend, and next time get more umpth and get up and dance! lol Hugs Helene
    Naw you did not offend

I just did not want you to rub somebody the wrong way the next time you are at a dance

We all learn something everyday nobody is an complete expert!

By the way I use to live near Seattle, Everett and on Whidbey Island
    Left in 2004

Leave a comment:

• OKC_taxlady
    replied
    Thanking you JOSIAH, I of course did not know the "termonology". I was just trying to defer from me as a "dancer" and the regular, all dressed in their feathers as dancers, lol. Appreciate the correction, my aim is NOT to upset or offend anyone. I am just an old granny novice to the Pow Wow, and will still attend, and next time get more umpth and get up and dance! lol Hugs Helene

Leave a comment:

• they_drag_him
    replied
    Originally posted by ewoaf View Post
    william dafoe is a radical who wants us dead?
    naw, william dafoe is there for target practice.

Leave a comment:

• ewoaf
    replied
    Originally posted by they_drag_him View Post
    he's a warrior and he's defending our country against radicals who want us dead.
    william dafoe is a radical who wants us dead?

Leave a comment:

• Josiah
    replied
    Thought I would let you know how all went last weekend. There were many more performers than before, plus lots of people everywhere;lots of different vendors with goodies to eat this year. We arrived around 2:30pm and glad that we got there a little early for the Pow Wow entry had started long before the written schedule, maybe because there were so many dancing for prizes.

We did not do any crafts this year. Glen started a basket, weaving it, but we don't know how to finish it, lol.

My foot, which a pipe dropped on, was fantastic, but glen had a hurt toe.

Now, did I dance??? Well I really wanted to, and hter were lots of opportunities to do so, but I was shy to get up. I noticed 3 ladies, who were part of the dance performers, and asked them if I could walk out with them. It was getting late, and colder, but still nice after a morning rain.

The ladies finally asked me if I wanted to go, I jumped up, grabbing my shawl, but we only got to take maybe 10 steps and that was that, lol! I was elated, so next time I will not be so shy!

We took several rolls of pictures, and after I get them processed, will find out HOW to post them here.

Thanks for all your help, it was fun, and as you say THE GREAT SPIRIT, God, was there. Hugs, Helene
    If I may say something here...
    The People that you saw dancing at the Powwow in Tahlequah were not "performers"...
    I know its semantics but performers sounds like a dance troupe or jugglers there for your entertainment

The more appropriate "term" would be dancer, The ones dressed out in their Ndn clothes are dancing for many reasons not to entertain...

I am glad you had a good time and got over your shyness and danced a little bit

Leave a comment:

• OKC_taxlady
    replied
    KEETOOWAH POW WOW-Tahlequah Oct 3-4,2008

Thought I would let you know how all went last weekend. There were many more performers than before, plus lots of people everywhere;lots of different vendors with goodies to eat this year. We arrived around 2:30pm and glad that we got there a little early for the Pow Wow entry had started long before the written schedule, maybe because there were so many dancing for prizes.

We did not do any crafts this year. Glen started a basket, weaving it, from last years, but we don't know how to finish it, lol.

My foot, which a pipe dropped on, was fantastic, but glen had a hurt toe.

Now, did I dance??? Well I really wanted to, and there were lots of opportunities to do so, but I was shy to get up. I noticed 3 ladies, who were part of the dance performers, and asked them if I could walk out with them, to dance. It was getting late, and colder, but still nice after a morning rain.

The ladies finally asked me if I wanted to go, I jumped up, grabbing my shawl, but we only got to take maybe 10 steps and that was that, lol! I was elated, so next time I will not be so shy!

We took several rolls of pictures, and after I get them processed, will find out HOW to post them here.

Thanks for all your help, it was fun, and as you say THE GREAT SPIRIT, God, was there. We got back to the Motel around 10pm, and the pow wow was still going into the night...but my eyes were falling asleep, rats! LOL Hugs, Helene
    Last edited by OKC_taxlady; 10-07-2008, 09:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• eyesrbrown4areason
    replied
    Originally posted by they_drag_him View Post
    he's a warrior and he's defending our country against radicals who want us dead.

Leave a comment:

• they_drag_him
    replied
    TO 50 CAL: I cannot understand why you added the "shooting" at everyone in the small attached video; is that good etiquette for any posting here?
    Last edited by they_drag_him; 10-07-2008, 02:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• OKC_taxlady
    replied
    TO 2 BEARS: Thank you for the sweet reply, where is your Pow Wow Oct 18th? We will be looking for more Nov-Feb, then I will be busy with another Tax season (I am ERO, reg. with IRS, as a Tax Practioner, my 25 tax clients call me THE DEDUCTION QUEEN, LOL!)

Eventhough the pipe fell on my foot, I was thrilled for 2 reasons: One- it healed itself, so we could walk around more at the Keetoowah Celebration; Two: it did not bruise up, which gave me a vote of confidence, that eventhough my CBC blood tests came back high for white cells, I feel that they are mistaking, and there is no cancer present!! Otherwise, it would have bruised up)

We had a great time, lots more people there than last year; rained early Sat morn, but cleared; did not do any bingo or crafts, as Glen's toe was suffering; Pow Wow started much earlier than what was scheduled, and went well into midnight-we tuckered out at 9:30pm, and hated leaving, since we put money in a jar for a 50/50 drawing. I got up to half of a dance. I asked some ladies in Indian costume's if I could walk with them next time. When they asked I jumped up, but hated not doing more. All in all was good. Thank you again, 2 Bears, enjoy your Pow Wow, in what state do you reside? Dumb question, but you are a drummer? then from what Indian heritage? Is your wife Indian? So nice conversing with you. Truly God's "Great Spirit" was present again, through all the dancers, and performers. God's very best to you and your loved ones, Helene

Leave a comment:

• OKC_taxlady
    replied
    TO 50 CAL: I cannot understand why you added the "shooting" at everyone in the small attached video; is that good etiquette for any posting here?

Leave a comment:

• 50cal
    replied
    Need ASAP Can anyone dance at PowWow?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone dance around the circle at the PowWow. I noticed or think that the announcer after several groups have danced, that they said we could? I am a non Indian (Norweign) love to go to Powwow's. I bought a shawl, as someone told me women cannot be in the dance without one, are there some special steps? Sorry just need help, hope that you more experienced dancers, participants are not laughing too loud! Thank you Helene We are going to the Keetoowah Celebration in Tahlequah, OK Oct 3-4, 2008

wow I knew a girl from Heil.......best 30 days of my life......

Leave a comment:

• 2 BEARS
    replied
    just remember to enjoy your self and to have fun :0)

Thank you each one, first for taking time to answer my questions, and second for your helpful suggestions.
    Yes, I do listen really carefully to what the MC is saying, mostly because I want to learn all I can.

We have been attending pow-wows for about 2 years, and if nothing else tries to hinder us from going , to Tahlequah, OK tomorrow (husband accidently dropped a steel 2 inch pipe on my foot, while we were getting our fishing poles) but we are ready to leave Friday for the Keetoowah Indian Celebration. I recently read a good true story book, about this Celebration and the Trail of Tears.

What I really love about attending the pow wow's, is the SPIRIT, warm and friendly, that I feel when we attend. I feel that the true Indians, who are performing, and all the others, are very special people, and this overflows to us watching and yes I enjoy all of the festivities.

So if any of you attend this one, this weekend, and you see an elderly, long blonde haired granny, seeming to be out of whack, dancing, just think to yourself "Goodness, that must be that lady from OKC?" God Bless you all, Hugs Helene
    the first one i took my wife to i can still remember the look on her face when the host drum started playen...lol...she held her arm up with goose bumps..lol..i tell people to get used to the goose bumps because they'll have them all day! our pow wow is in 2 wks..oct.18-19...god bless good people like your self OKC_TAXLADY that enjoy being part of the goodness of a pow wow. and hurt foot or not i know you'll dance your best..the great spirit will take care of you :0) enjoy your event, i cant wait for ours :0)

''AHO''

Leave a comment:

• Joe's Dad
    replied
    Thank you each one, first for taking time to answer my questions, and second for your helpful suggestions.
    Yes, I do listen really carefully to what the MC is saying, mostly because I want to learn all I can.

We have been attending pow-wows for about 2 years, and if nothing else tries to hinder us from going , to Tahlequah, OK tomorrow (husband accidently dropped a steel 2 inch pipe on my foot, while we were getting our fishing poles) but we are ready to leave Friday for the Keetoowah Indian Celebration. I recently read a good true story book, about this Celebration and the Trail of Tears.

What I really love about attending the pow wow's, is the SPIRIT, warm and friendly, that I feel when we attend. I feel that the true Indians, who are performing, and all the others, are very special people, and this overflows to us watching and yes I enjoy all of the festivities.

So if any of you attend this one, this weekend, and you see an elderly, long blonde haired granny, seeming to be out of whack, dancing, just think to yourself "Goodness, that must be that lady from OKC?" God Bless you all, Hugs Helene
    This just reminded me of those bonker things at Chuck E Cheese!!!

Hope you have fun and dance hard!

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.