X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaches

Why are roaches becoming so huge?

cuz people's heads are getting so big. *L*
    The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

I was gonna say cuz they're well fed!!!

I think it has to with the bigger, the better mentality some people have. At least in these parts, bustles seem to get bigger and bigger. Maybe they want a roach to match.
      I'm innocent I tell ya!!!

Comment

Cause they supersized their meals?
        Don't compromise yourself. It's all you've got.

Janis Joplin

Comment

probably another TREND...folks want stuff that nobody else has or at least stuff thats RARE or hard to get in an attempt to be "original"....the longer haired roaches i've seen folks have paid upward of a Grand just for something basic. no fancy designs or colors.
          "Out greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, our greatest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."

"Never Compromise yourself, Your all you've got"

"An eye for an eye will only lead to a blind world."

Comment

Bigger is better LOL
            Someday it will head the other way
            Fashion has a way of doing that I suppose
            ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
            Till I Die!

Comment

May have to test for steroid use.

Comment

maybe Crow influence..?

i think its the influence of those cool Crow dancer roaches that bounce and bounce when they dance....but it doesnt match everyone!

Comment

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CWright08%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cm sohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The roaches out here are big because they have been spending the summer getting buff so they can kick the mice out of the warm places under my house this winter. Ohhh wait, you mean the other kind of roaches.

I just have to say that a good roach with long hair can look good IF it is made right. The problem is they are generally just not looking right. I saw one that was dang near perfect and it just looks strange. What a waste of good hair!

When Hawkeye made roaches, he would reserve the really long hair out for special projects. I understand that it would take him years to get the hair together for one of his big roaches. In the same respect, most of his roaches were made with regular hair.

Roaches today are huge because it has become a status trend. Mine is bigger is a common theme with some men. I also think that what people think looks good/ right is changing to reflect ‘modern thinking’. Seems to me this happened a while back with the actual length of the roach running up to 22 inches (in some cases longer) commonly found on straight dancers. I understand it was pretty standard to find much shorter before that. It’s the same thing as having one of those big azz fans or the bill board princess crowns. Slight breeze throws you out of the arena but dang it looks good right? Right?
                  <o:p> </o:p>
                  To meet this new demand I have a herd of turkeys I have been giving 'turkey beard growth hormones' to. I should have some turkey beard roaches made soon that are 20 inches in the back and 40 inches up front. If you just said "Dang... that would be sweet" to yourself, send my $1000 and see what I send you back! LOL!

Comment

bill dance...for a name like that you would think you would understand that "Size Matters"!

Comment

Turkey farms ARE "sweet."

Comment

Seems Bigger has been the fashion:

Present

ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
                        Till I Die!

Comment

I believe that the guys had to really hustle in the 19th century in order to collect the necessary materials for roach making, all the while trying to gather food, build bows, arrows and spears, as well as protecting their people from marauders. In addition, much time was spent with ceremony. My father-in-law used to say, "Real Indian Time is going to bed with the birds and getting up with the birds." He also said, "There aren't any blue ribbons in this life," meaning that there was lots of hard work. Dressing well and style may have had their place, but fad and fashion were not thought of in the same way as they are nowadays.

If we had to hustle like they did in the days of old instead of ordering hair or ordering a roach, I think the roaches would be of a reasonable size and made of what was available during the course of hunting and gathering.

Comment

Originally posted by Gledanh Zhinga View Post
                            I believe that the guys had to really hustle in the 19th century in order to collect the necessary materials for roach making, all the while trying to gather food, build bows, arrows and spears, as well as protecting their people from marauders. In addition, much time was spent with ceremony. My father-in-law used to say, "Real Indian Time is going to bed with the birds and getting up with the birds." He also said, "There aren't any blue ribbons in this life," meaning that there was lots of hard work. Dressing well and style may have had their place, but fad and fashion were not thought of in the same way as they are nowadays.

If we had to hustle like they did in the days of old instead of ordering hair or ordering a roach, I think the roaches would be of a reasonable size and made of what was available during the course of hunting and gathering.
                            Depends on where you're what is available though eh? I mean most folks had horses, so horse is pretty easy to come by (hell now I don't have to buy it unless I want it dyed, and then its only cause I got tired of having my hands be blue or green for days afterwards) Turkeys were way more common in some parts of the country. And when you get up north here the porkie is a nuisance animal.
                            I know there were stylistic preferences based on tribe (think about them little round roaches that some tribes wear).
                            My thoughts are that ya, anybody will have the nicest fanciest thing they can (this is subjective so my nice can be just tacky as hell to you) but there are some limits to technology involved here- the roach base, materials to tie it with, spreaders, and so forth - all have to get bigger and better to make these big roachs look nice.
                            Myself, I think them big 22" roachs that stand real real high make most fells look top heavy and I have not seen one yet that has held up over a long time.

Comment

It's all in how it's tied. Both the base must be tied well and the hair must be tied well. If not, it won't look right. I think that Gledanh Zhinga is right since I have a hard time visualizing a pre reservation person stockpiling the longest hairs over the years to make a long roach. I bet you collected hair until you could make the item you needed and then you started the process again.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X