Straight Dance bandoliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight Dance bandoliers

im in the prosess of makeing my own straidght dance set of regliagia and was wondering if it would be acepitable to ware one bandolier made of all brass beads and another of all silver beads? or maybe both brass? im not 100% shure what i wont to do quite yet thanks creecher119

Originally posted by creecher119 View Post
    im in the prosess of makeing my own straidght dance set of regliagia and was wondering if it would be acepitable to ware one bandolier made of all brass beads and another of all silver beads? or maybe both brass? im not 100% shure what i wont to do quite yet thanks creecher119
    I would bet that you might be told that they need to match or something but I have not really seen any hard fast rules in either old pictures or modern examples. More likely than not, if they are wearing a set of bandoleers they match. That does not address the men that wear just one for a number of reasons. I think you are saying that you want a set with each being a different material/color.

Personally I like a matched set (matched not necessarily identical). But I also prefer glass beads and such.

Comment

Its more of an aesthetic thing.
      Matching just looks better.
      But, you do see guys with just one- more common if they are wearing a bandolier bag on the other shoulder.

Brass or silver is up to you. I like mescal beans with silver for mine (personal choice and since it is winter I might actually get those beans drilled now).

You alsi see guys without bandoliers- i.e. if you wear a vest you don't need bandoliers.

Comment

ok now here is a new question can a bandolier bag be quilled allong with a straight dance belt beouse i have been thinking about useing quill work instead of bead work

Comment

I've never seen a straight dancer wearing much quill work. Not to say that it couldn't be done, but just haven't seen it.

That quillwork takes a long, long time.

Might want to ask folks around your area.

Comment

True on quillwork taking some time. The most I have ever seen on straight dancers are the following in modern times:
            quilled blanket strips (I have only seen one)
            Quilled mocs (only one)

If there is 'common' quill work on a straight dancer I see it most often on the roach feather but I don't think it is something just anyone can throw together. I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other as I have heard many things on the topic.

That's all I remember seeing. For that matter bandoleer bags are not that common in my part of Oklahoma.

Comment

True on the uncommonness of the bags in OK.

But, some of the other folks from more up north will carry them (not always, but you see it more) and I have seen some Miami and Fox fellas that are straight dancers that carry them. So it might be a woodlands thing that they have carried over into the straight dance.

I have thought of adopting it myself- gives you a place to put the wallet, cellphone, car keys, and some small give away items.

Also, come on man it is like more than a foot square of flat area that can be beaded.........................awesomeness.

Comment

True that as far as it being an up north kind of thing. I have seen a few guys that carry them but they all came from up yonder. As far as all that stuff to carry... dang thats a lot! I have a small bag I carry my car key my ones and fire and smokes just in case. Everything else gets left in the cedar box in the car. I agree that there is plenty of playing field on those bags to be beaded though.

Comment

What can I say Al, I am lazy (got the belly to prove it too).

Now that I live up north, particularly in the winter, most dances are indoors. So you gotta carry in everything from the car to the dressing room (which may be a bathroom stall) then you can either park your bag and box by the side of the arena- and at some of the larger ones hope it don't walk off when you aren't looking- or haul it back out to the car.
                  I will tell ya, a 10 degree temp with a good breeze will find every gap between your leggings and your shorts.....
                  The other problem I run into is that I can be "on-call" on a pow-wow weekend, so I try to keep my cellphone with me (but on vibrate) just in case.

Now the other thing that comes in, and I think almost all of us on this board have thoughts like this---
                  Would I wear at a society dance? The answer for the bandolier bag is no. The same as the answer for my pink sequins shirt, my extra long ribbonwork for my arm bands, and a few other peices that I only wear for pow-wowing. I try real hard to keep one real conservative outfit for the society dances. I don't want the lecture from the old guys during the dinner break.

Although to bring up a a point again, why don't we wear quillwork? Has anyone heard a specific reason or is it just too much of a pain to do.

Comment

i've never heard a reason why a friend of mine has quilled gauntlets and if you look at the pic on the striagiht dance link on dancer has a quilled vest but on the subject of difficultly it depends on your level of Proficiency like loom beading is a bit of a pain but i can lazy stich a pair of mocasins with ease

Comment

I can think of one Ponca fella that dances in my area in particular that uses quilled armbands and bracelets (small cuffs). His belt is conchos but the quillwork is pretty ace. I see no reason that someone could not were quilled gear for straight dance. If you go back to the early work (clothes) from the tribes that had the heluska all of them made and used quilled pieces.

As to the bandolier bags...They came down with most of the tribes that moved into north, central and eastern OK. Yes they are still seen more commonly around the great lakes but bandolier bags were used Cherokee, Miami, Shawnee, Delaware, Sauk and Fox just to name a few. I would love to see folks bring them back, but just have to wait and see.
                      PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

ok now here is a new question can a bandolier bag be quilled allong with a straight dance belt beouse i have been thinking about useing quill work instead of bead work
                        I think that quill work would look real good, though I have never seen this matching quillwork Bandolier and Belt combo.

I have seen a few guys dance with the Bandolier bag as one of their bandoliers in OK. I believe that for the most part they were Delaware, Sauk/Fox,etc.
                        BOB

Comment

I noticed you are from Savanah. So if you are making a "southeastern" style set of straight dance clothes, it would make sense to me that many of the items would probably have a more southeastern tribal influence rather than an Oklahoma tribal influence.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
                          "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Comment

this is a bit off topic but it begges the question i have recently heard of a roaches being given and not bought and was wondering what to ware instend?

Comment

If not given a roach one usually buys one and the wearing one bandolier is a tribal thing. The wearing of an Otter cap/turban is worn by one's that have the right or given the right to wear. I understand that west of Oklahoma the one's that wear Otter cap.turban's are wearing them just because the look neat or for reason's that they don't understand.

The term "roaching" is when you take care of the Honor to become a straight dancer when intering the Circle for the first time. What I mean by "Honor" is taking care of the privilege to become a straight the right way, which I have heard that most east and west of Oklaoma have just dressed and danced this way because it either looks neat-good-pretty and they just want to without thinking ot the protocal to be a Straight Dancer.
                              this is all i have to say

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.