• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiowa beaded aprons and trailers

looking for examples of kiowa beaded apron trailer sets

Here are a few historic pics of Kiowa's in beaded aprons
    Attached Files
    PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

and a few more
      Attached Files
      PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

hmmm

it sounds like u are askin about the style with the front apron with long trailer. if so then its the kiowa-apache style.

Comment

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CMike%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoht ml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="country-region"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="State"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="date"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="PlaceName"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="PlaceType"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Happy new year everyone! After talking to the family, I am going to post some info on what I can regarding what has already been posted and I am going to include some more. The pictures already posted and what I will post are all used in a paper/ discussion on this topic.
          <o:p> </o:p>
          Rodond, they said someone called the house looking for this kind of info. Might that have been you?
          In Powwowbum49’s second post, KBA Gilbert Mopope is from Ohoma society doings. The third photo is a set from <st1:place><st1:placename>Indian</st1:placename> <st1:placetype>City</st1:placetype></st1:place> (Anadarko) that is listed Kiowa.
          The pics I am including here are scans of the document that follows. Added emphasis is mine. The apron sketches correspond to the photos and in many cases belong to the respective families as mentioned.

<st1:date year="2000" day="26" month="2">February 26-27, 2000</st1:date>
          <st1:place><st1:city>Tulsa</st1:city>, <st1:state>Oklahoma</st1:state></st1:place>
          Subject: Kiowa dance aprons that appear in photographs belonging to the Mopope family dated 1914-1922, Redstone community located between Anadarko and <st1:place><st1:city>Fort Cobb</st1:city>, <st1:state>Oklahoma</st1:state></st1:place>
          Presented by: Carl and Vanessa Paukeigope Jennings, <st1:place><st1:city>Redstone</st1:city>, <st1:country-region>USA</st1:country-region></st1:place>
          These photos are of Kiowa men dancing their version of the plains wardance complex. This dance came to them through contact/ trade with the <st1:city><st1:place>Cheyennes</st1:place></st1:city> who had in turn acquired the dance from the <st1:city><st1:place>Omahas</st1:place></st1:city>. The Kiowa are wearing warbonnets, shirts, long johns, buckskin leggings and broadcloth leggings with Cheyenne-style beadstrips and fully beaded vests. Many family members remember their elders referring to these as “our <st1:city><st1:place>Cheyenne</st1:place></st1:city> clothes”.
          In the older photos long breach cloths are worn under shorter beaded aprons. As time goes on this long breach cloth disappears leaving only the apron. Feather bustles become prevalent as the dance is influenced by other tribes and the dancers travel to social gatherings over the state.
          Many have speculated as to the origins of the bold abstract and floral designs the Kiowa have begun to use prior to this time period. That is not the purpose of this discussion. I merely wish to present these photos for your consideration. They are bold, large designs. Generally fully filled in with solid beadwork, many of which have secondary designs worked into the fill, whether stripes, blocks or other organic elements.Most have double white bead outlines with contrasting multiple color parallel lines before the fill work is done. These are the same designs being used on cradleboards from this same time period. Medallions, mirrors, sequins and fringe are common.
          To contrast these Kiowa designs on aprons with others being produced at the same time period on the east side of <st1:state><st1:place>Oklahoma</st1:place></st1:state>, the Kiowa aprons have multiple units of single designs with more intricate elements incorporated within each unit. The negative space is rarely considered.
          Some photographs were so poor that only the basic shapes were visible. I am sure that there are details I could not see so some of the drawings represent only an educated guess on my part.
          Vanessa is pleased to share her photographs with you but she has one request. We have all heard that families own particular designs and Vanessa considers some of these private property. If anyone considers using these as inspiration for your own beadwork she would appreciate not copying exactly any designs here.<o:p></o:p>
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Fat Albert; 01-01-2009, 10:05 AM.

Comment

04_kba is Stephen Mopope of Kiowa 5 fame. 03_kba in the previous post is a sketch of those designs.
            Attached Files

Comment

More
              Attached Files

Comment

10 and 13 was already posted so:
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Fat Albert; 01-01-2009, 09:37 AM.

Comment

More
                  Attached Files

Comment

And some more:
                    Attached Files

Comment

23 has already been posted so:
                      Attached Files

Comment

And some more:
                        Attached Files

Comment

As the caption notes, Jack Hokeah famous Kiowa 5 artist.
                          Attached Files

Comment

33 Has already been posted (Gilbert Mopope)
                            Attached Files

Comment

The rest are old Ohoma photos.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.