Optin Monster

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you identify these people?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can you identify these people?

    Can you identify the names of those in the following photos?

    Osage - 1895


    Ponca ? - 1905


    Osage - 1910

    "Be good, be kind, help each other."
    "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

    --Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

  • #2
    The guy in the 2nd picture looks like he has the same type of outfit as the guy on the left in the first picture. Maybe he is Osage too.
    The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by superndngyrl View Post
      The guy in the 2nd picture looks like he has the same type of outfit as the guy on the left in the first picture. Maybe he is Osage too.
      Super,

      The guy on the right looks like your husband 20 years ago.

      *L
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

      Comment


      • #4
        no he doesn't. my husband 20 years ago had a mustache.

        What are you saying? That all indians look alike!



        haha
        The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by superndngyrl View Post
          What are you saying? That all indians look alike!

          super,

          Yup That's exactly what I'm sayin' .... and they're all good lookin' too!
          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

          Comment


          • #6
            The 2nd guy, 1905, looks like he has the same vest and maybe, otter, as the Osage dancer in this photo postcard:
            http://home.flash.net/~blondie6/2182.jpg

            Comment


            • #7
              1905

              Osage - 1910
              Last edited by Historian; 01-30-2009, 09:11 AM.

              "Be good, be kind, help each other."
              "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

              --Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Gledanh Zhinga View Post
                The 2nd guy, 1905, looks like he has the same vest and maybe, otter, as the Osage dancer in this photo postcard:
                http://home.flash.net/~blondie6/2182.jpg


                Gledanh,

                Do you think there might be a direct correlation between modern beaded harnesses and otter pelts worn like harnesses on Man Dancers?
                Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

                Comment


                • #9
                  WhoMe,

                  I don't know about that possible correlation. The otters, often with mirrors were also worn up north, but to my knowledge, not hanging down full length, as the southern style. In Oklahoma, the older guys with whom I started fancy dancing, all called the harnesses "galluses," which is an old fashioned word for suspenders. They were called galluses even though they didn't really hold anything up.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Galluses

                    The Ho-Chunks still wear those otter harnesses with mirrors, they are snazzy, but with that and a turban and dragger it would be just too much otter for me.
                    Also there are some nice pics of Ho-Chunk fellas from the early 1900's with the harnesses on and ribbonwork/beaded bandoliers- real fancy like.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by legalstraight View Post
                      The Ho-Chunks still wear those otter harnesses with mirrors, they are snazzy, but with that and a turban and dragger it would be just too much otter for me.
                      Also there are some nice pics of Ho-Chunk fellas from the early 1900's with the harnesses on and ribbonwork/beaded bandoliers- real fancy like.
                      Jim Swallow, William Massey, Tom Thunder, George Eagle and Ben Thundercloud - HoChunk - 1881
                      Last edited by Historian; 01-30-2009, 10:48 AM.

                      "Be good, be kind, help each other."
                      "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

                      --Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gledanh Zhinga View Post
                        WhoMe,

                        I don't know about that possible correlation. The otters, often with mirrors were also worn up north, but to my knowledge, not hanging down full length, as the southern style. In Oklahoma, the older guys with whom I started fancy dancing, all called the harnesses "galluses," which is an old fashioned word for suspenders. They were called galluses even though they didn't really hold anything up.
                        Fish Walker and Charlie Parker - Omaha - 1922

                        "Be good, be kind, help each other."
                        "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

                        --Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
                          Gledanh,

                          Do you think there might be a direct correlation between modern beaded harnesses and otter pelts worn like harnesses on Man Dancers?
                          In interesting photo showing taffata ribbon instead of otter hide.

                          Henry Springer and John Grant - Omaha - 1898

                          "Be good, be kind, help each other."
                          "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

                          --Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I acquired a Pawnee harness/belt, fancy dance set dating from WW II. It's base material was cotton cloth with a straight ribbon binding. The galluses did not hang below the belt; they were sewn to the top of the belt making it all one unit. Lots of the decoration was "spoked wheel conchos" applied with sequins and beads.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Historian View Post
                              1905

                              Osage - 1910
                              what is that in his left hand it looks like a mirror board just minus the board and mounted with a long strip of bead work is there a special

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Loading...

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X