Men's Wearing Blanket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    No photos found.

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Related Topics

Collapse

• Historian
    Mirror Board
    Historian
    Experienced
    by Historian
    Bert Fremont - Omaha - 1900

Most straight dancers today carry a mirror board in addition to their tail fan. Concerning the mirror board Dr. James Howard states in his work titled The Ponca Tribe, that,

“A heliograph signaling device consisted of a trade mirror...
    02-28-2009, 03:20 PM
  • tribaltagz
    Changes in the dance style
    tribaltagz
    pow-wow gear central!
    by tribaltagz
    Way back in the day when my uncles paid my way to straight dance I was taught that there were movements that I couldn't do. One was I couldn't place my tailstick on the ground. Another was I couldn't turn in a complete circle because that signified retreat. I was put in by my Kiowa uncle who was married...
    09-07-2006, 11:04 AM
  • Historian
    Tail Sticks and Tail Dancers
    Historian
    Experienced
    by Historian
    Before the forced removal of the Ponca to Oklahoma Territory in 1877, appointed Tail Dancers among the Hethuska Society would carry the long-shafted, crook-ended Society Coup Sticks in battle and at Society Dance Ceremonies.

When the Hethuska Society would go out as a group to fight...
    02-28-2009, 03:08 PM
  • Fat Albert
    Ring Around The Tail Stick
    Fat Albert
    Eater of all frybread!!
    by Fat Albert
    Hello relatives! Well as the season is in full swing, I figure the best way to figure out who is the best dancer is to get out and see 'em! Nuff reading about them!

Here is a question... the tail stick on the ground debate, some say it is ok to 'plant' the stick down and dance around...
    06-05-2004, 07:42 AM
  • Historian
    Face Paint
    Historian
    Experienced
    by Historian
    The oldest materials used in paint were derived from animal, vegetable and mineral sources, with earth or mineral paint being the most common.

White and yellow paint was obtained from white and yellow clays along river beds and buffalo gallstones produced a different kind of yellow....
    04-08-2009, 12:44 PM

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
Working...
X