Bandoliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandoliers

Bandoliers are an essential component for straight dancers.

The pair of bandoliers are most often strings of large trade beads with leather spacers, worn in a loop which extends from each shoulder to the opposite hip.

Each bandolier consists of one to three strings of brass, silver or glass trade beads (cut crystal "aurora borealis" beads are frequently sought after), by themselves or strung in combination with bone hairpipes averaging between one and three inches long, and held together with leather spacers. Another version of bandoliers are made from silver beads, mescal beans, or a combination of both. These are frequently seen today on many Comanche, Kiowa or Southern Cheyenne outfits and often have reference to a Gourd Dance organization or the Native American Church, though members of Gourd Dance organizations or NAC members will usually wear the bandoliers over one shoulder.

Nokoney – Comanche – 1870

Quanah Parker – Comanche – 1890

Comanche man – 1891

Comanche men – 1891

Quanah Parker – Comanche – 1892

Henry Red Eagle and son - Osage - 1893

Wooden Lance - Kiowa - 1894

Frank Corndropper and Paul Buffalo - Osage - 1895

Comanche couple – 1895

Andrew Perd-A-Sof-Py - Comanche - no date

Buffalo Meat, Three Fingers, Wolf Robe - Southern Cheyenne - 1895

Two Hatchet - Kiowa - 1898

Mo-She-Wa-Ku-De - Omaha - 1898

Little Snake - Omaha - 1898

Chas Baddle - Omaha/Otoe - 1898

Howard Frost - Omaha - 1898

James White Water - Otoe - 1898

Raises The Dust - Ponca - 1898

Henry Roman Nose, Yellow Bear, Lame Man - Southern Cheyenne - 1899

Southern Cheyenne father and son - 1900

Bacon Rind – Osage – 1900

Good Fox - Pawnee - 1902

It Is Him - Otoe - 1907

Bird Chief – Southern Arapaho – 1909

Bacon Rind – Osage – 1909

George Michelle - Osage - 1910

John Wood - Osage - 1910

Prairie Chief – Southern Cheyenne – 1911

Makes Them Cry – Osage – 1913

Walks With Effort, II - Ponca - 1914

Crazy Bear - Ponca - 1914

Bacon Rind – Osage – 1916

Tenikwa – Comanche – 1919

Albert Atocni – Comanche – 1926

No matter the style, straight dancers today will usually wear a pair of bandoliers, one over each shoulder, crossing in the front and back. When the leather belt is put on, the bandoliers usually come over the belt in front and under the belt in back, though this is left to personal preference.

When a vest is worn, with or without a ribbonshirt, the bandoliers are sometimes omitted so as not to do damage to the beadwork on the vest.

Ashworth, Kenneth Albert.
    1986. The Contemporary Oklahoma Pow-wow. Ph.D. dissertation. Department of Anthropology, University of Oklahoma.

Bailey, Garrick, and Daniel Swan.
    2004. Art of the Osage. St. Louis Art Museum, University of Washington Press, Seattle, WA.

Callahan, Alice A.
    1990. The Osage Ceremonial Dance, I’n-Lon-Schka. University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, OK.

Ellis, Clyde
    2003. A Dancing People: Powwow Culture on the Southern Plains. University of Kansas Press, Lawrence, KS.

Feder, Norman.
    1957-a. Costume of the Oklahoma Straight Dancer. The American Indian Hobbyist Newsletter, Vol. 4, No. 1.
    1957-b. Costume of the Oklahoma Straight Dancer. The American Indian Hobbyist Newsletter, Vol. 4, No. 2.
    1980. Some Notes on the Osage War Dance. Moccasin Tracks Magazine, November Issue, LaPalma, CA.

Fleming, Paula Richardson.
    2003. Native American Photography at the Smithsonian: The Shindler Catalogue. Smithsonian Books, Washington, D.C.

Fletcher, Alice C. and Francis LaFlesche.
    1911. The Omaha Tribe. Bureau of American Ethnology, 27th Annual Report 1905-06, Smithsonian Institution, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.

Hail, Barbara N.
    1980. Hau, Kola!: The Plains Indian Collection of the Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology. Brown University, Bristol, RI.

Howard, Dr. James H.
    1955. The Pan-Indian Culture in Oklahoma. The Scientific Monthly, Vol. 81, No. 5.
    1965. The Ponca Tribe. Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin 195, Smithsonian Institution, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C.
    1976. Ceremonial Dress of the Delaware Man. Special Issue, The Bulletin of the Archeological Society of New Jersey, No. 33, Seton Hall University, South Orange, NJ.

Johnson, Tim. Ed.
    1998. Spirit Capture: Photographs from the National Museum of the American Indian. Smithsonian Books, Washington, D.C.

Kavanagh, Thomas W.
    1992. Southern Plains Dance Tradition and Dynamics: Native American Dance Ceremonies and Social Traditions. National Museum of the American Indian, Smithsonian Institution with Starwood, Washington D.C.

LaFave, Edward J.
    1998. Straight Dance Clothing: How to Dress a Straight Dancer. Whispering Wind: American Indian Past & Present Magazine, Vol. 29, No. 4, Folsom, LA.

Smith, Jerry.
    1968. Straight Dance Bandoliers. The Singing Wire Newsletter, January Issue.
    1982. Straight Dance Clothes: Getting Them On. Moccasin Tracks Magazine, April Issue, LaPalma, CA.

Stewart, Tyronne H.
    1968. Dressing a Straight Dancer. The Singing Wire Newsletter, February Issue.

Woerpel, Loren.
    2004. Bead & Hairpipe Bandoliers. Whispering Wind: American Indian Past & Present Magazine, Vol. 34, No. 6, Folsom, LA

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
    "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Any further discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      Any further discussion?
      What is the signifigance or origin of the bandolier? Is it purley decrotive or did evolve from something else like a sholder bag?

Comment

During a Peyote Meeting,
        Osage's were instructed,
        through a vision to wear
        scalp feathers and mescal bandoliers.
        There is significance to every piece,
        that we adorn ourselves with.
        Alot of the way we dress is traditional way
        that they used to dress for everyday.
        wa-zha-zhe

Comment

Comment

old guy with old stuff

About 20 years ago my grandfather's second wife gave me a wood box with some things in it that she said she didn't know anything about. One of the items was a bandolier. I have figured most of it out but the significance of the silk handkerchief with "spice" tied up in it escapes me.

Can anyone help?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by puderse View Post
              About 20 years ago my grandfather's second wife gave me a wood box with some things in it that she said she didn't know anything about. One of the items was a bandolier. I have figured most of it out but the significance of the silk handkerchief with "spice" tied up in it escapes me.

Can anyone help?
              It has been said, that the herbs tied up to a bandolier may have had it's origins with "love medicine".

Comment

I have been told that we wear our bandoliers with this tobacco/medicine bundle tied to the bandolier as a symbol from our loved ones (ladies). This was for thier prayer and a symbol of their care. ( This guy is mine) sort of thing.

I also, like what my very good friend wa-zha-zhe had to say about our Church meetings clothes/items. Thanks, wa-zha-zhe. It was good seeing you all again this past summer. I keep you in my Prayers for your health and your family.
                BOB

Comment

Thank you and God bless you. It is always good to see you my friend! I will always remember walking with you in our Indian clothes.
                  wa-zha-zhe

Comment

We did have a good walk. It isn't often anymore that anyone walks in with me from our directions anymore. I was very proud that you were able to make this walk. I was also very glad that your truck was able to get started.

'Til next time, your friend- always.
                    BOB

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.