Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the_chief
    replied
    Those claws seem good, they have good shape.
    Last edited by the_chief; 01-05-2017, 02:53 PM. Reason: correction

Leave a comment:

• AmigoKumeyaay
    replied
    Great Photos

Leave a comment:

• Historian
    replied
    bump

Leave a comment:

• Historian
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SiriusSpiritWmn
    replied
    thank you for your input Historian I was curious about that.

Leave a comment:

• Historian
    replied
    Originally posted by SiriusSpiritWmn View Post
    I have only seen pictures of men wearing bear claws. Were women ever allowed or given the right to wear bear claws?
    I've never seen or heard of women wearing a set of Grizzly Bear claws.

Leave a comment:

• SiriusSpiritWmn
    replied
    I have only seen pictures of men wearing bear claws. Were women ever allowed or given the right to wear bear claws?

Leave a comment:

• Historian
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Historian
    replied
    As far as I know, today, the right to wear a set of grizzly claws, or even a set of imatation claws made from elk antler, is determined by families, clans or societies within each tribe who still hold that tradition. For the most part, men who wear a set of claws are usually veterans, or someone who has been given the right to wear them by a veteran.

Leave a comment:

• Tx_grass_dancer
    replied
    Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
    *L ... Phishing for answers, cause you're thinking of getting one?
    Or Maybe I Just Like Learning New Things, Or Having A Discussion On A Topic Thats Not Who Should Have Won Or Bashing Another Hob.

Leave a comment:

• WhoMe
    replied
    Originally posted by Tx_grass_dancer View Post
    Now I understand the carved antler claws were due to the depleted bear population, and that the right to make/wear a bearclaw necklace came from killing 2 or more bears. Who has the right to make/wear a necklace made from the carved antler? Also how popular were/are the carved necklaces?

*L

... Phishing for answers, cause you're thinking of getting one?

Leave a comment:

• rezcar3
    replied
    thanks for the info. it looks good. i think i saw a northern traditional dancer with something similar at gathering of nations a couple of years ago. ill look for the photo.

Leave a comment:

• Mato Mahe
    replied
    YES...that is fully beaded "turban" for lack of better words.

I have an extended family member that has one that is exactly like Little Pipes but he won't wear it any more because people call him "princess". It is sad that our own people don't know their own traditional clothing styles.

I was hoping Historian would have answered the question about who could wear the carved antler necklaces.
    I've seen just a few pictures of carved antler necklaces in my many years of looking at old photos.

Last edited by Mato Mahe; 10-09-2009, 01:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rezcar3
    replied
    is this a beaded turban in the photo of "Little Pipe - Otoe - 1869"
    Last edited by rezcar3; 10-09-2009, 10:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tx_grass_dancer
    replied
    Now I understand the carved antler claws were due to the depleted bear population, and that the right to make/wear a bearclaw necklace came from killing 2 or more bears. Who has the right to make/wear a necklace made from the carved antler? Also how popular were/are the carved necklaces?

Leave a comment:

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.