Side-stitch Chokers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side-stitch Chokers?

I was hoping that someone out there would have some suggestions as to how to learn more about the side-stitch chokers you see on many Ponca and Osage men (Straight Dancers or Portraits) in old 1800s photos.

Since most of the side-stitch chokers are very thin, getting a good idea of what the design element is, proves very difficult. Besides, all the photos are in black and white anyway, so design color is another issue.

Lastly, I have had a difficult time finding any information on the construction techniques of a side stitch choker.

Anyone have any suggestions?

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
    "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Some of my chokers
    Attached Files

Comment

Another
      Attached Files

Comment

Last one of mine.

Here are some historic examples in color:

http://www.powwows.com/galleries/sho...sort=1&cat=500
        Attached Files

Comment

Hey there Beadman those are very nice chokers.

Thank you for letting us see these.
          BOB

Comment

excellent work as always!
            Better known an loved as Men~Nie Turtles !
            Life is what you make it. Becareful what you give . You just might get it back!

Comment

Beadman, Neat pictures! Diagonally woven collars of wampum are worn in the Northeast, it looks to be the same weaving technique. Here's one I made.

Historian, I dont think there are any instructions on the net for the technique, basically it's like fingerweaving with one end anchored, the other end free, you have two threads that go through each bead you string on diagonally across and you pull the sets of strings from the previous row inbetween the strings of the row you are putting on. Use the endwarp for each subsequent row (making it the weft) and leave it dangling on the opposite end of the row as a warp for the next row. Would be easier with a diagram, I have one on nativetech in the beadworking techniques, but my site is apparently down today.

Tara

Comment

I think there is a chapter in David Dean's book "Beading in the Native American Traditions" that discusses side stitch. The illistrations are very easy to understand and the text is well written. Hope this helps.

Comment

There was a discussion a long time ago in the beadwork forum about sidestitch. You might go there and spark up that flame again. Also try PM-ing BlackBear, she can find just about anything beadwork related on the web.

Tara, great pic!

Comment

Hi Historian,

I was just browsing around and found this thread. Have you gotten anywhere with the chokers? I did a couple of artcles in magazines on the diagonal weave technique (another name for sidestitch). They were in Threads Magazine June July 1994 and Beadwork, june july 2001. Its an easy technique once you get going and its not done with needles.

Ingrambead

Comment

Bead Man's a whiz at sidestitch.. I've never seen anyone pick up beading techniques as quickly or as well as that kid! I've also never even HEARD of anyone being able to side-stitch as fast as him.

How's that "secret" method working out, Adam?

Comment

Hey Adam,

Long time, no talk. I hear you're doing pretty well for yourself out there in CA. DC's been treating me well. May be moving back to Oklahoma next Fall...we'll see about that. I'll keep you posted.

Sorry I haven't been around in a while guys....Life took me on a detour for a while, but I'm back on the road again.

Comment

WOW! I don't post much for two or three years and I go down to zero experience! That's rough man. :Mad

:)

Comment

Thanks. It's been a while, I know. I actually came back onto the board to find out some info on a local powwow and decided to see what was going on.

The straight dancing board sure has slowed down since I was last active.

Is Brian still around? I haven't talked to him in a while. I should give him a call.

Have you made it out to Redhook yet? I missed it last year due to my sister getting married on the same day. I'll be there this June, though.

Later!

Comment

What other Oklahoma tribes, besides Ponca and Osage, wore or wear "side-stitch" chokers?

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
                              "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X