How to Dress a Straight Dancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Dress a Straight Dancer

Recently, I stumbled on the following link, and thought some folks might be interested in it.

Straight Dance Clothing: How to Dress a Straight Dancer
    http://www.arapahoe117.com/linked/straightdancer.pdf

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
    "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

I'm gonna post my own article here in a minute - "How to UNdress a Buckskin Dancer".... hahahaha

---------------

Any idea where that first color pic in that article is from? Is that the Cali Hethushka? or Whitebear? or AIS? Cause the beaded turbans were interesting - always wondered what one would look like, but I'm not sure I really like the idea now after seeing one...
    Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism.

Comment

That was very helpful. I have a little up and coming straight dancer to dress and no man to help me figure it out. Thanks!
      We will be known forever by the tracks we leave..Dakota leader.

Comment

Originally posted by amarie49 View Post
        That was very helpful. I have a little up and coming straight dancer to dress and no man to help me figure it out. Thanks!
        " No man " , I'm 40, I'm a man, and I'll help, 'cause I'm 40

Comment

I have had 3 or 4 photocopies of this article, but never seen one in color.

There are few things in there that are not 100% correct....but real good for an introductory.

Comment

Did you guys see photo #6? Whats goin on there? poor straight dancer guy is being abused. haha oh.
            The only time its too late to start dancing is when you're dead.

Comment

And I thought I had a lot of parts to my outfit.

Comment

The top photo of dancers is the AIS group from back East.

Comment

....ahhh.....the Petrush boys.

I'm gonna have to talk to Dan about this one, or forward the article to him, even though he's probably got it.

I've got the much older Moccasin Tracks article by Jerry Smith on the same subject. I also think the Jerry Smith version, upon which, this one is based....loosely, was much better.

Still, it's nice to see the Petrush boys when they were much younger, and to see the REALLY fantastic photo of AIS. Love the shots of Mark Johnson and Alan Tylo!!! Their beaded clothes are AWESOME!!!!

What do you see wrong in there Legalstraight?
                  "This next song goes out to some girls in dot com. They don't know who they are, but, it doesn't really matter anyway."

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by amarie49 View Post
                    You do have many friends and family to help make ready your little straight dancer. Are you planning to have him dance at Quapaw?
                    BOB

Comment

I have seen this Article before, they are all AIA guys from the OA. Not a bad article, very detailed.
                      Dance hard like there is no tomrrow. Hoka!

Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.

"Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

“We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear

Comment

Originally posted by superndngyrl View Post
                        Did you guys see photo #6? Whats goin on there? poor straight dancer guy is being abused. haha oh.
                        Checking to see if everything is still there I guess! LOL!

As for legalstraight, I agree. Example: Pinning your leggings at the top to keep that perfect straight line is a little retentive I think. But it makes sense... the guy who wrote the article once told me I should use a computer program to match my clothes to my eye/ hair and skin tones for the best results. LOL! I prefer to leave that to the family... they are happy to tell me what looks good and what looks like bootie. Personally I think it over simplifies but that is what makes it a good intro piece. Good dancers know this barely scratches the surface, is very technical and that there is so much more to putting on your clothes. Worth reading but don't take it as gospel. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

To clarify my earlier statement,
                          On a re-read I did not see anything that was blatantly wrong, but it is over simplified so if you take this as gospel it can misrepresent things. I have a copy of this article in my "i dont necessarily agree but if you know nothing look at this file"

Comment

So now that we have identified "How to Dress a Straight Dancer" (first published in 1998), as an elementary introduction directed toward beginning Straight Dancers, does anyone have any suggestions as to some improvements in the process for more experienced Straight Dancers?

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
                            "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                              So now that we have identified "How to Dress a Straight Dancer" (first published in 1998), as an elementary introduction directed toward beginning Straight Dancers, does anyone have any suggestions as to some improvements in the process for more experienced Straight Dancers?
                              Thats easy and in my worthless opinion, there is only one answer for beginners and experienced dancers. Humble yourself and go be around this all the time and spend time with people who know more than you. Honestly to do this you have to have support from people that can really teach you and will tell you when you are wrong. The other thing is to get rid of the expectation that you must dance. Many folks I have danced with feel it is a status thing to have a long list of places they have danced at. Sometimes it may not be right to dance there and you are lucky to have been invited so be ok with watching. I learned more about how to put on my clothes by going to dances I did not/ could not dress at. You can't replace first hand teachings from elders and family members and more importantly... keeping your ears open.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X