What do you wear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you wear?

So are you into leather or cloth? Not tryin to be kinky;) How do you guys dress and why?

I have three cloth suits, and one buckskin tab leggins set.
    BOB

Comment

_______

wHAT are we talking about here? Thongs?

j/k
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Leather nothing like the smell aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
        Better known an loved as Men~Nie Turtles !
        Life is what you make it. Becareful what you give . You just might get it back!

Comment

tab leggings with old style vest....cloth looks good but not my style....
          sigpicWe spend a lifetime worrying about if we make a difference....Marines don't have that problem.

Comment

______

Okay.

In all seriousness you are asking about leggins.

I wear a combination of both. The pant part is cloth doe-suede and the fringe is buckskin. You really can't tell the difference unless you look up close.

This is really beneficial in the heat of the summer. The cloth allows the leggins to breath and dry quicker.

I use them both for gourd and straight dance.

Nobody is none-the-wiser. . . so don't tell!
            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Just asking. I wear cloth now but once upon a time I wore some tab leggings and even enjoyed it. Wouldn't mind setting up a pair of hides down the line but I still have some things to learn.

Comment

I go with the old braodcloth myself....eventually I'll get in to making a pair of leather but heck I'm too lazy to do it...LOL
                We the unwilling, lead by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Comment

I think that it depends on your tribe. Allot of the Southeastern people used cloth.

Comment

Broadcloth.

Comment

Leather or Broadcloth Leggings?

I have worn broadcloth legging with osage ribbonwork, but I have found it get too scratchy when I dance, especially when I really work up a sweat during the "Saturday Night at Greyhorse" songs. Therefore, I have two pair of hide leggings that I really enjoy.

The first is a pair of brain-tanned deer-skin leggings cut in the long triangular flap with 1 inch fringe around the edge style common to the mid to southern plains. Decorated with silver spots and smudge-painted with mustard yellow dry earthpaint on the leg section and smudge-painted with green dry earthpaint on the flaps.

The second pair is brain-tanned elk-skin leggings that have been smoked to a very dark mustard yellow, worn very tight fit with extremely long fringe, and spats covering the moccasins.

In both cases, my hide leggings are very comfortable in the cool weather and in the heat. The hide breathes well, especially if you can find brain-tanned instead of commercially tanned. The extra expense is worth it in the long run. Hide also lasts a long time if you take care of them well. My Green and yellow leggings I have worn for 25 years. Just a tip, before you put hide leggings on, sprinkle a little baby powder or Gold Bond on your legs. It will keep things dry and comfortable, and have an easier time taking them off later.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
                      "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Comment

CANVAS it's good all year round !

GAH!
                        well what the hell it's f'ed up anyway!

Comment

straight dance

I am new to this kind of "dialogue"........ So, will make many mistakes

Comment

Cloth

Being South Eatern I wear cloth, and they are center seamed leggings with Military Buttons down the front seam.

Comment

I wear broadcloth leggins with old style osage ribbonwork..
                              OrangePridendnds1
                              "What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
                              Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator
                              ...... everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence.
                              Mourning Dove Salish 1888-1936

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X