apron sets with trailer in the front?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• apron sets with trailer in the front?

Some straight dancers wear what looks like a trailer in the front. Or, do they have their trailers on the back and this is an additional "trailer-like" part of the apron in front? What significance would this have?
    Last edited by redsky; 04-25-2004, 03:44 PM.

wheres the back trailer, i dont see it.

i think he got dressed backwards.

who was it!!!!
    There are 2 types of people in the world...
    Really stupid people who think they are smart
    and
    Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

I was told that it is a Kiowa thing. There are a total of 4 pieces, two regular size aprons, one trailer in the back and then another piece (trailer like) but about 5 inches shorter than the back.

Don't know the significance - just told to make an outfit like that.

Comment

I'm not sure who this is. LSD-Thanks for letting me know that there is also a trailer in back. I have seen it two other times and thought it looked good. If its a Kiowa thing, are there any Kiowas that know what it means? Thanks.

Comment

I have seen old pics where they (Kiowa) wore the trailer in both front and back.....I asked about it to friends and family...and was basically told..its a family thing...some Kiowa families wear it that way...the family I am close to wears the trailer in the rear only...I have seen a photo of a Comanche man in the 30's wearing the double trailer also
          sigpicWe spend a lifetime worrying about if we make a difference....Marines don't have that problem.

Comment

Kiowas use a longer breechcloth/apron when they wear the shawl wrap, but I have not seen any worn the way that pic looks like...but then I am not Kiowa...just been running around with them for years now.
            PB49

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.

Comment

Originally posted by powwowbum49
              Kiowas use a longer breechcloth/apron when they wear the shawl wrap, but I have not seen any worn the way that pic looks like...but then I am not Kiowa...just been running around with them for years now.
              ___

pwbum:

You're correct about the long breechcloth and shawl wrap.

The picture is not a Kiowa thang' when it has upper Missouri ribbon work.
              Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

You will see old pictures of Ponca and some Oto with this. In the Gallaries there is a picture of Good Boy (ponca) wearing a long narrow front Apron...these are sundance aprons and only those who had participated wore them at hethushka. (Pauls historical galleries Osage commitee photo)that is also why they disapeared before WWII. I do not know about the Kiowa 'thang'.
                When you see these odd things out of context it is confusing. We do not know him or where he is. He could have his own reasons...or he saw old pics and copied or he don't know any better. I cannot think of any one in NE Oklahoma I have ever seen dressed this way.(that does not mean there aren't any)
                Last edited by storm; 04-22-2004, 11:46 AM.
                My bark is worse than my bite

Comment

Aprons !

These aprons that is being talked about and some have never seen dancers wear them, there is three that I can think of today.
                  Jauquin Hamilton, Larry McCurtain wear such apron's and Vernon Harragarra also, he dances at the Hethuska dance once a year that I know of.
                  Or, maybe that the old time dancers apron's looked that way because the apron's were the wrap around, back apron-then wrapped under the crouch and hangs down again, that's one piece. Could that be the answer as to where it started?
                  In my time I have also seen other Comanche's and some Kiowa's wear such apron's and as for the purpose I never asked, I guess I should've. Now, I guess I should.

Comment

Its good to hear you all talk. I appreciate you sharing what you've seen and learned. Thanks for contributing.

Comment

Dance Trailer

Among the Kiowa, Comanche, Cheyenne and other southern plains tribes the breechcloth style was long and narrow in front and back. Later, when tribes like the Ponca, Omaha and Oto, were moved into Oklahoma that had the shorter Missouri River area beaded aprons or the ribbon aplique, the styles mixed. Frequently the transitional style was to wear both the long breechcloth in front and back with a set of beaded aprons over them in front and back. Later, many individuals among the Ponca and Osage Hethuska and Inlonshka abandoned the front piece of the long breechcloth, but kept the back, which has now become the standard dance trailer. It seems that some individuals are returning to that transitional stage when wearing the long breechcloth in both front and back with their set of aprons also.

It should be noted that long breechcloths are not necessarily representations of Sun Dance clothes. In the old days a Sun Dancer would wear a skirt, (white cotton cloth wrapped around their waist that extended to their ankles) and would sometimes wear a breechcloth, or apron, or both hanging over it. Today, Sun Dancers will frequently wear long breechcloths, front and back, but they are decorated with Sun Dance colors and symbols unique to the person's vision, and they would not usually wear the same breechcloth to a Pow-Wow.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
                      "Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Comment

Historian:

I enjoy reading informative posts. Thanks.

Comment

a long time ago u could tell a person's tribe by there regalia. muh fam back in ft cobb has taught me that the double aprons are of kiowa-apache origin. but lets be real here, powwows have changed so much now with guys wearing dogs on their heads and whatever they dreamed about, that its now in the sport of the dance to dress flashy. so some dancers may be of the tribes that wore a particular item and the others may be jus adding new ideas to their regalia by either coping or jus making it up. jus ask the person u saw and solve the question from there.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X