Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHY do powwow cds dont sound good anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHY do powwow cds dont sound good anymore?

Hey you guys...lol..so i got a problem with ndn music these days. I am not sure to buy and support a drum group's cd or a powwow cd because of some examples like, the drum sounds like cardboard, the announcer talks too much thru the song, or some songs sound like another someone's song just switched up a little bit and added soundbytes to enhance the overall sound of the recording. I love jamming to all types of music but powwow recordings are the ones I like to jam to the most, more so when its "live" I remember some of the old labels used to put out "live" singing and dancing and when you are cruising down the highway at 20 below weather and you hear all the bells, jingles, and war cry through the recording it makes you feel good and want to jam out and catch a mid winter fair powwow some where. It seems some of these labels that put out music don't take the time to add in the sounds of the drum, the singers, and the real crowd such as bells etc...Indian House records does a good job of that with all the old school music and some times canyon records but I recently listened to the gathering of nations cd from 2010, I believe an award was won for best powwow cd album and awards were given to all the people included in the project, and I am wondering what did they win for? or was they the only cd reccomended for the award? sheesh it was terrible. some good songs on there but the added noise effects to make it sound like it was a sold out rock concert takes all the power, originality away from the songs. Terrible idea.. I remember also when GON people put out a cd before with the stink sound effects to make it seem like it was bad ***... but then all you got was a continued noise that irritated the heck out of you...lol..just let it be...let the bells be heard, let the jingles be heard, let the back up singers be heard, let the world of song and dance be heard, and quit using the sound effects..oh and the announcers...well take it down a notch..lol...quit ruining powwow jams...idk...so anyways..

Originally posted by Intertribal 49 View Post
    Hey you guys.....just let it be...let the bells be heard, let the jingles be heard, let the back up singers be heard, let the world of song and dance be heard, and quit using the sound effects..oh and the announcers...well take it down a notch..lol...quit ruining powwow jams...idk...so anyways..
    sigpic

Comment

Man I agree. Not just with the CD's but the MC's. I hate it when they have to talk thru the whole grand entry....I go to Colony every year and I hate going up to the drum to listen to the MC. I wanna hear the music...I wanna see my girls show off thier new outfits...I wanna see my nephews glide by in their new outfits...I don't want to hear the MC explaining anything to anyone...let it alone and let us enjoy the music. That's probably why I'm so grouchy and just stay at the camp....lol
      sigpic This is how I dance when your standing next to me...

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Dogs of War..."

Comment

I'll say from a technical stand point some powwow music is recorded live on location, great because you can hear the dancers in the background but bad because the recording engineer has no control over the environment. Sometimes the drum being recorded is done on a separate system and other times it's just some guy with a laptop plugged into the main sound board. The issue with recording from the main mix is that the MC and other stuff is being piped through it so when the MC talks it gets recorded. The other issue is that the drum is at the mercy of the person who is doing sound for the arena. The separate system is better but dragging around a lot of gear is not convenient and it sucks, let me tell you. LOL.

--------- Nerd Note ---------
        Maybe TTechno will understand this and possibly some others:
        One very big thing that a lot of so called "sound techs" overlook, misunderstand, or know nothing about, something that can be the difference between really great sound and crappy (live or recorded) is "compression". The last show I ran sound for the guy who we rent the equipment from came up to me and asked what I did because he said he has never heard sound that great come out of his gear I then pointed to the compressor that I bought along with me.
        CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
        sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

Life is like a box of chocolates, ya never know what ya gonna get.

Many LIVE recordings I have are "ruined" by unnecessary noise from the surroundings.

I record right at the drum and if a speaker is nearby I get between the drum and the speaker.

What I hate most is aluminum bleachers with the clanking footsteps, and how some spectators have to tap their feet.

...but I am patient like a fisherman, keep my line in the water... I catch some BIG ones

What I want is to represent both the drum and the dancers, so I get great sound on the drum, and catch the hottest leads, but at same time I am ready to pan over to a dancer that is presenting a good shot for the video.

Anyways, I learn something new each powwow.
          sigpic

Comment

With the right, and usually expensive, microphone a lot of background noise can be eliminated. LOL. There's a whole science to microphone choice and placement, and I'm not a super expert or anything on it either.
            CERN may have discovered the Higgs Boson but...
            sigpic

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Comment

Outdoor recording (powwow)

http://recording.org/pro-recording-f...ting-wind.html

http://www.indianhouse.com/fav.php
              sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.