Sumo

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the worst drum for short-changing?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who is the worst drum for short-changing?

    This applies to any singer who drum hops or just sings with any drum or even the committed bro style singer, basically every singer out there! Which of these following drum groups are the best at giving the least amount of money to their singers and/or pocket the money for themselves?
    60
    Big Bear
    8.33%
    5
    High Noon
    43.33%
    26
    Wild Horse
    6.67%
    4
    Northern Cree
    6.67%
    4
    Mandaree
    3.33%
    2
    kapootakaw? cha
    5.00%
    3
    Battle River
    8.33%
    5
    The Boyz
    10.00%
    6
    Bear Creek
    8.33%
    5

  • #2
    What a stupid, petty poll.
    I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

    Comment


    • #3
      I agree.

      Comment


      • #4
        Another petty ignorant guy who probably doesn't have a car - to help carry some of the other singers and the drum, doesn't lead, or is continually walkin around the pow wow instead of sitting at the drum so he misses a song so he doesn't get a " full" drum cut - just a couple of reasons some singers get less than others. All he sees is the $5000 first place and there was ten singers so he should get $500 and doesn't realize the gas and other things like rooms and food to get there and the money to get to the next pow wow. Just my $0.02.
        Watch your broken dreams...
        Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

        Comment


        • #5
          Is this guy kiddin?

          Dang, I've seen some stupid polls in my life; but this one is special.

          Talk about tryin to openly hate on drum groups.

          Excuse me while I talk in my Native Wookie dialect language.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by old_schooldancer2004
            Dang, I've seen some stupid polls in my life; but this one is special.

            Talk about tryin to openly hate on drum groups.

            I agree. This is definatly some guy who has been cut-out of the money for a reason that he didn't feel is right.

            I sang with numerous groups, and got a different cut style from almost all of them, BUT they also had a reason for doing what they do. You can get your cut lowered for all kinds of reasons, missing roll-call, late for a song, or other stipulations drums would have a rule for.


            *There are 2 sides to every coin!

            *A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done. - Vince Lombardi

            *Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work. - Vince Lombardi

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah I agree that this is one of the worst polls yet. Almost as bad as the worst Northern Back up singer.

              Comment


              • #8
                Aw come on guys.....tell him how you REALLY feel!

                Seriously ... people are on here are pretty tired of all the negativity on here period. If you would start another thread and word it positively I bet you would really learn something.

                You could ask the singers what seems like a fair cut for someone that sits in. They will be able to give you info like was mentioned here.....expenses and etc. That's so much better than the "whose the worst" etc. And who knows.. you may end up looking at things differently.
                "We see it as a desecration not only of a mountain but of our way of life. This is a genocidal issue to us. If they kill this mountain, they kill our way of life." ~Debra White Plume

                Comment


                • #9
                  Should have a poll on who has made the worst polls. The two mentioned on this thread rank right up there. If somebody has a problem with a drum group or drum keeper why don't they go to them instead of trying to create a hatred in a sneaky chicken s*** way. If you want to hate like that at least have the jam to use your real name.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    this is a dumb poll..somebody should just close it down..cuz thats not right talkin about other drums when you should be respectful towards all singers.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by badmaninc
                      Should have a poll on who has made the worst polls. The two mentioned on this thread rank right up there. If somebody has a problem with a drum group or drum keeper why don't they go to them instead of trying to create a hatred in a sneaky chicken s*** way. If you want to hate like that at least have the jam to use your real name.
                      for reals man...this is a stupid poll. just pissed me off when i read it the first time. i guess he could have worded better to shed some light on the subject for himself. he must have been really dissed by one (or more) of these drums - probably for a valid reason but i doubt he saw that way - money the root of all evils
                      Watch your broken dreams...
                      Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PowwowGirl18
                        this is a dumb poll..somebody should just close it down..cuz thats not right talkin about other drums when you should be respectful towards all singers.
                        As a singer, I totally agree that this is a ridiculous poll. As a moderator, I could easily close it down, but stupidity and greed aren't against the user policy. I think this poll and thread actually serve a purpose because they show others who might feel as the original poster does that there are MANY in the pow wow world that feel otherwise. Most of us who sing or those of you who just dance and are around singers know that no one ever gets rich from singing...ever!

                        I'm sure there are head singers out there who might not divide well, but the overwhelming majority of head singers (northern and southern) do their utmost best to take care of those who came to help them sing for the people. I've sung before where I got a few dollars and I've sung before where I got over $1000, and I viewed them both the same because, hey, I got to sing that weekend!!
                        I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm a back up singer..and i've seen alotta drums here in michigan disrespect the older groups that have been around for a long time. I sing with one the groups thats been around along time and still has alotta the same singers. I'm respectful towards everybody..as i'm both a back up singer and jingle dancer. I've seen it where people get all mad cuz they dont do good enough and get alotta money. I like singing for the fun and I love it..I dont care about the money really...infact i'm going to sing this weekend at a pow wow and I just want to enjoy it and be happy like I always am.
                          Last edited by NCheyGirl21; 02-04-2005, 10:20 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            No Selfish cause!

                            There is no selfish cause between me and the drums noted in the poll. It is just based on the fact that no one sings better than the other and that singers should find their own way to a pow wow. I got a car and a family and I sing with who ever, but there are drums that I have sang with that do pay sraight up, they aren't mentioned on the poll. The drums in the poll are however drums that I could just think of the five minutes it took me to create the poll. Why should pay be different based on talent, seniority, leads, or gas. Again we are getting too technical and more based on the whiteman's values. It is just not Indian to do things the way they are being done!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by FairSkinnedWarrior
                              There is no selfish cause between me and the drums noted in the poll. It is just based on the fact that no one sings better than the other and that singers should find their own way to a pow wow. I got a car and a family and I sing with who ever, but there are drums that I have sang with that do pay sraight up, they aren't mentioned on the poll. The drums in the poll are however drums that I could just think of the five minutes it took me to create the poll. Why should pay be different based on talent, seniority, leads, or gas. Again we are getting too technical and more based on the whiteman's values. It is just not Indian to do things the way they are being done!
                              You're griping about not getting paid and at the same time griping about "whiteman's values"? Doesn't make sense. Some drums split stuff evenly. Some drums split based on how much you contribute. Some drums split based on need. Deal with it and go on.

                              Go to the drum expecting nothing other than to have a good time and sing hard and you'll be pleasantly surprised if you get a 10 spot for gas on the way home. Go the drum expecting dough, and you'll be disappointed everytime.
                              I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

                              Comment

                              Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

                              Loading...

                              Trending

                              Collapse

                              There are no results that meet this criteria.

                              Sidebar Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X