Songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Songs

If you make a song for any purpose do you want any drum to sing it, are just your own group? If you make a cd can other drums sing your songs are not?
    Ihanktonwan
    WACIPI
    Last edited by Ihanktonwan; 03-30-2006, 07:57 AM.

Correct me if I am wrong, but back in the day a song was not simply written, or thought of. A song used to come to people, a gift from the spirits. The creator has blessed us with the gift of song and dance. That is why you hear the same song sung by diffrent groups. This isnt the music industry where you need to copyright everything and pay royalities. I am sure, especialy with honoring songs and such, that if you asked or made it clear this was a very speacial song and your drum alone should sing it, that any respectable drum group would understand. As for intertribals, I dont know. You could not let people record it. If you put it on a CD, thats like opening it to the public. See what I mean?

Comment

Songs

Originally posted by Dagnome
      Correct me if I am wrong, but back in the day a song was not simply written, or thought of. A song used to come to people, a gift from the spirits. The creator has blessed us with the gift of song and dance. That is why you hear the same song sung by diffrent groups. This isnt the music industry where you need to copyright everything and pay royalities. I am sure, especialy with honoring songs and such, that if you asked or made it clear this was a very speacial song and your drum alone should sing it, that any respectable drum group would understand. As for intertribals, I dont know. You could not let people record it. If you put it on a CD, thats like opening it to the public. See what I mean?
      When i was 14 i started singing songs or they would come to me, At the time i did not have a recorder and lost some of the songs as i did not know my drum was singing to me, sharing his power to heal those sick and ill... I went to my dad and asked many questions... His drum originally, he gave it to me to follow his path on the ceremonial path. I than followed mine to the pow wow ways... SOngs are given to the drum keepers and singers as they have the beliefs of the drum with them at all times... these songs help them out on the trail because many drums sing thier own tune's their own healing songs their way... We are given the honour to help those in need to heal and to gather strength and love of life to carry on the teachings and lessons of those before us... I beleive in the drum and in my dad as well as the singers to know and respect their teachings... They have many stories of borrowing songs in respects to their drum and the pow wow spirit to sing it in good health and to have fun... AS the cd many times a cd may not work out as you hope because the native people did not have cd's to record on... Just the common ear and memory of the people... We share the songs therefore we give the people a chance to enjoy themsleves as well as practice these songs as we did so many years ago when we did not have recorders... We share and remember thses songs as they were sung many times for the healing purpose.... I woul dvery much like to share my songs with those who would like to use them.... Many young drums nowadays think its better to make your own and protect them from others and say hey these songs are mine dont sing em.... I thought like that at one time but then i thougth its better to share your songs so people can share them with one another and remember that this song brought them together and that they will remember that one pow wow and make it "their" pow wow of the summer.. I know i do that every year.... Many pow wow stories where a group has helped me out many a times with the song from their drum..... Songs are given to help the singers out as well as given for a purpose.... HAI HAi.....

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X