suggestions for the "recorders" problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions for the "recorders" problem

since we all know that recorders and spectators can be a good thing and bad thing.

In the past i seen a few pow-wows have the host or invited drum area blocked off. only drum judges and women back-up singers allowed around the drums. I also seen a few drum contests have the drums get out in the middle of the arbor or arena. and there was no one allowed but the drum judge's around the drum.

I personally think that is a good idea.

any comments and suggestions.

...GoT GreaSe?...

www.Grease.It.Ayye.com
    RezinInc

sigpic

I like it when they stick em out in the middle as part of the finals or tie off, because it adds more showmanship to it. The drums are spotlighted then, and all eyes are on them. From a singer's point of view-I like havin "the crowd" around the drum, because they are there to see you make music and it gives a good feeling. Though it does get crazy when theres so many recorders that you hit one out of someones hand cuz it was right over your head.
    www.myspace.com/powwowlicious

Comment

Not been a problem for me in the past. Felt sorry for a couple of recorders who got popped in the head with my stick during the break of the song for being so close in.

Comment

at the end of the month my brother was asked to be head drum judge for a pow-wow and there are some big guns that show up and the crowd is crazy around the drums. I dont know if i'm going to help out and judge, got to wait and see(prior engagement).the committee has a game plan and wanted input from him. they have it planned out already.

But i wanted to hear from the pw.comers and get thier reactions or ideas about the ones i listed. or if they have suggestions of there own. so i'm looking at this from a drum judge's view.

...GoT GreaSe?...

www.Grease.It.Ayye.com
        RezinInc

sigpic

Comment

Stillrezn, I do like the idea of the other poster in that bringing the drum out to the center certainly will do away with the recorders, as long as it is made clear that no recorders allowed in the circle.

Comment

the general public is like real stupid .. LOL .. once you've worked in the public service sector you'll know what i'm talking about ..

no matter what changes you try make .. there's always going to be someone out there thats gonna think .. "they cant be talking to ME" .. "i'll just go and record, out there in the center"

nothing is going to change .. unless of course of you get some really deadly security around the drums to keep the crowds back .. then they'll be complaining "they didnt let anyone around the drums to record!!"
            Watch your broken dreams...
            Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

LOL i got to agree with you on that.

no matter what happens everyone is going to have a compliant and i cant please everyone.

and my opinion still stands. i as a singer i like that crowd. but dang some of them can be down right rude. after many years of singing and seeing "them" knock over children and stepping all over other ppl stuff. sometimes we , the singers have our parents or grandparents sitting by us. but the dang near get trampled by the recorders.

so as a judge i will think of elders and children around the dru that want to enjoy a pow-wow.

but honestly who wants to sit there and look at recorders butt and whoever is around the drum or watch the dancers.

...GoT GreaSe?...

www.Grease.It.Ayye.com
              RezinInc

sigpic

Comment

Why not have ONE "official' recorder for the p/w, and sell the recordings? Take orders and payments at the registration table, and send a nicely formatted CD in the mail?

Then institute a "no recordings" policy. Yes, people will complain, but what else is new, and you'll make a few $$ for the p/w.
                Last edited by Sleeping Bear; 07-12-2006, 05:45 PM.
                Something exists.

Comment

suggestion 4 da "recorders" problems

Originally posted by Sleeping Bear
                  Why not have ONE "official' recorder for the p/w, and sell the recordings? Take orders and payments at the registration table, and send a nicely formatted CD in the mail?

Then institute a "no recordings" policy. Yes, people will complain, but what else is new, and you'll make a few $$ for the p/w.
                  I agree! Also, I agree with setting the drums out in the middle and not allowing anybody around the drum other than the back-up singers and judges.

Comment

Recording the powwow and selling it would be cool, but if your drum has a contract with a record company it could cause problems.

Best thing is to be a free agent.

How much money is in CD sales for popular drums?
                    There are 2 types of people in the world...
                    Really stupid people who think they are smart
                    and
                    Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Well, I guess the drum could always say "don't record us, we're under contract." Kinda puts a downer on things, though.
                      Something exists.

Comment

I don't think this is a good idea at all.

Singers use c.d money for travelling and rooms and sometimes to make ends meet when at a contest that the group did not do that good at.

I know that you can't make a living singing at pow-wows, but having every pow-wow record and sell would leave nothing for the drums who actually stay together to use recordings to help with the high cost of travel.

A lot of people do not realize that it isn't easy to travel with a group of 8 or more singers, especially the cost of keeping the same guys together, AND their families.

I've seen c.d sales feed families on the road.

*There are 2 sides to every coin!

*A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done. - Vince Lombardi

*Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work. - Vince Lombardi

Comment

i got to agree with the hulk.

its hard tyri ng to travel all summer with a "stacked" group.

and the money we make off of CD sales help out alot.

and the recorders pirating(spelling) the copies and the pow-wows who do sell CD's of the pow-wow. sometimes the groups dont get royalties.

traveling with the drum group is fun but can be tryin at times.

...GoT GreaSe?...

www.Grease.It.Ayye.com
                          RezinInc

sigpic

Comment

Do you mean that the drums sell their own CD, and that my idea would prohibit them from doing so? I don't quite understand your objection, or, admittedly, exactly how pow wow drumming works. Could you explain like I have no idea?
                            Something exists.

Comment

Do you mean that the drums sell their own CD, and that my idea would prohibit them from doing so? I don't quite understand your objection, or, admittedly, exactly how pow wow drumming works. Could you explain like I have no idea?

ok most of the drum i know get recorded by Record companies known in NDN country.

Sweetgrass records, Canyon, Arbor, Drumhop, Rez Cue, Wankiyan, Echabu. just to name few.

ok these RC's record them and give the group some CD's so they can sell on thier own.
                              there is alot of different contracts that differ from group or RC.

so the Cd's they get from the RC they sell at pow-wow or where ever. and they use the money to travel, food, or whatever.

i dont talk business good. so i think The Hulk can help you out there.
                              Last edited by stillrezin; 07-18-2006, 10:29 PM.

...GoT GreaSe?...

www.Grease.It.Ayye.com
                              RezinInc

sigpic

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.