Just out of Curiousity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just out of Curiousity?

If you were selected as a Northern Head Singing Judge (Contemp and Original). How would you implement things? I.E. Judging System, what would you base the judging on? Now we know the routine or run of the mill systems...Are you capable of being a "Pioneer" and setting up a good system?
    "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Hey Coyot! Whassaaaap!

As for the Original styyo, I don't agree with the giving points for different singers takin' a lead. For example, if you listen to alot of the old skoolerz, they had one lead singer, and that lead took all leadz, ay! Not all, but most of them.

I'd recommend extra participation points available to the drum groups. I mean, when there's alot of drums their, split 'em up, half takes this session, then the other half goes and does participation point games and what not. Schemitzun, which you're aware, was pretty good at doin' that.

I would also like to see at least one round of judging done where the judges sit out in the crowd or dance around during and intertribal and get the feel of the music from a different perspective, rather than up close and personal. To top it off, I wouldn't even let the drum group know when they'd be judged in that round. You’d might have to change up the scoring variables a little bit, since the judge wouldn’t be right up on the drum. They could judge on crowd or dancer reaction, melody, synchronization, etc.

Just some thoughts and what not...

...that's so true....so, so true...

Comment

hey some good thoughts derr cuzzint dishez.........I like that.....goot one!
      lisaironmaker

Comment

Other Ideas

I have to agree with ntownn8ive. Judges should get out in the crowd and the circle to see how the music sounds away from the Drum. And don't let the Drums know when they are being judged - that is a great way to get rid of some of the "favoritism" and the "bias."

Also, don't judge the group by the sound system. I have seen that done way too often. Sound has a mind of its own when it comes to Electronic Equipment. I remember that at one powwow years ago the MC suggested that all Drums be heard with out the sound system for at least one song. Not a bad idea.

Comment

The price of tea N China....Errr!

Originally posted by ntownn8ive View Post
          As for the Original styyo, I don't agree with the giving points for different singers takin' a lead. For example, if you listen to alot of the old skoolerz, they had one lead singer, and that lead took all leadz, ay! Not all, but most of them.

I'd recommend extra participation points available to the drum groups. I mean, when there's alot of drums their, split 'em up, half takes this session, then the other half goes and does participation point games and what not. Schemitzun, which you're aware, was pretty good at doin' that.

I would also like to see at least one round of judging done where the judges sit out in the crowd or dance around during and intertribal and get the feel of the music from a different perspective, rather than up close and personal. To top it off, I wouldn't even let the drum group know when they'd be judged in that round. You’d might have to change up the scoring variables a little bit, since the judge wouldn’t be right up on the drum. They could judge on crowd or dancer reaction, melody, synchronization, etc.

Just some thoughts and what not...
          Santa has a real late present 4 ya....Hang tough...LOL!

I like your ideas....Especially the "on the D.L." judging....I for one have always used the "stealth" approach...I certainly take into consideration the whole picture. If a group is consistently "on top of their game" well i'm going to note that. If a group is shining for the judging round and "pulling weak" the rest of the time...well.....LOL! Your specifics on Original style and leads is absolutely right...The Old Timers recognize that and have reminded me from time to time to continue that...So it's ironic if a ballot is judging a group on the number of leads passed around....I'm sure some folks did not realize the reasoning behind that....Instead of making it easy and saying it, i'll leave it up to Singers to sniff it out...."Smile" Schemitzun had several methods 4 da madness...LOL! The sheer numbers of singers made it tough to have several go arounds...Soooo...the "break off" sessions helped...I have some ideas but we'll see what others have 2 share and then i'll share my proverbial toys....
          "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Good point!

Originally posted by Tom Iron Eagle View Post
            I have to agree with ntownn8ive. Judges should get out in the crowd and the circle to see how the music sounds away from the Drum. And don't let the Drums know when they are being judged - that is a great way to get rid of some of the "favoritism" and the "bias."

Also, don't judge the group by the sound system. I have seen that done way too often. Sound has a mind of its own when it comes to Electronic Equipment. I remember that at one powwow years ago the MC suggested that all Drums be heard with out the sound system for at least one song. Not a bad idea.
            I.E. the Sound System Singer....Wuz interesting though is when you shut the power off and all you hear is the drum? I notice in Sioux country the P.A less judging rounds make or break you....Although a twist on this....Say your singing all weekend and the Committee or whoever is singing the you know what out of you...Then the Singing contest round pops up....and zee power (no sound system)? The Sound isn't cut for dancers? Maybe a horse of a different color, but think about it. Is it fair to remove that component of the sound that you've been using all weekend? I'm not a big fan of singing out in the middle of the arena @ 10pm on Sunday night? Friday night, sure....I respect the idea but sometimes you feel like a nut sometimes you don't!

My take on the overall judging dilemma (if you will) is the selection of Judges....Head Singing Judges not doing their jobs. Out of funk tabulators, and timing....

Comment

(At the Wellpinit Labor Day powwow, on the fourth day of the drum contest, they put all the drums out in the middle with no PA for the final round. maaann...talk about rugged at it's finest!)

This one time, me and the Redtail boyz went way over to Hinckley to check out the drum contest. Dayyum, one of the judges was a rodeo-er, and had been out all night and all morning; he was still buzin’ when he was judging. I had few words with him but to no avail. I let the drum boss know and he said that the pw committee chose the judges, not him. Oh well….so drum bosses, it’s your show, you know who knows whats up! You pick your judges, it’s your show!! I’d like to see some more of our elders judgin’ too, seems like it’s singers judging singers or dancers judgin’ singers…no doubt they are qualified, but our elders are certainly qualified and especially for the Original styyo.

...that's so true....so, so true...

Comment

Originally posted by ntownn8ive View Post
                (At the Wellpinit Labor Day powwow, on the fourth day of the drum contest, they put all the drums out in the middle with no PA for the final round. maaann...talk about rugged at it's finest!)

This one time, me and the Redtail boyz went way over to Hinckley to check out the drum contest. Dayyum, one of the judges was a rodeo-er, and had been out all night and all morning; he was still buzin’ when he was judging. I had few words with him but to no avail. I let the drum boss know and he said that the pw committee chose the judges, not him. Oh well….so drum bosses, it’s your show, you know who knows whats up! You pick your judges, it’s your show!! I’d like to see some more of our elders judgin’ too, seems like it’s singers judging singers or dancers judgin’ singers…no doubt they are qualified, but our elders are certainly qualified and especially for the Original styyo.
                I agree with mah cuzint.........I think we need to have more of our elders out derr judging.

Hey, goot one dishez.........yeah, dishez knows what his talkn bout, don't you cuzint!
                lisaironmaker

Comment

I think it's a good idea to have at least one round of judging where the drums don't know that song is being judged. I know that it is important for judges to be right there to see if there are mess-ups ( someone off beat or someone NOT singing ) but one song. That'll keep the singers on there toes.

Changing leads? Some groups like to do that, but if it is not part of the judging, they have to be told. Some believe that its part of what the judges look for.

I think a lot of lead singers should be what it says - lead singers.

Comment

Ever hear the saying....

Too many Chiefs...Not enough Braves...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X