When a Singing Contest goes Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When a Singing Contest goes Wrong?

Okay....Its tough to set up a Singing Contest, and please everyone...(never gonna happen) Although when obvious "Fo Pas" or problems take place...you sure do bat an eye or two....Perfect case n point....This past weekend I attended an awesome powwow....Cho singing groups 700 some odd dancers...It was rocking! So we come to Sunday night (technically Mon Morning) and there are 8 ties? in the Singing Contest? Names were drawn out of a hat? And the lead singer from say "group A" sang with group B? Oh! and the Lead singer of group B sang a song from their group? So group A had to sing group B's song which keep in mind was lead by the lead of B??? I was like What???? Huh????? What am I missing here? Needless to say I just did not see the point and in my opinion it was a bad idea! I'm sure some folks know what i'm talking about.... Sure it pays to be flexible, but being unique is what sets groups apart.... Now if that was a Special or something of that nature, sure why not, but it stumped me to see this take effect so far into a really good Powwow? I know for a fact several singers were like WTF???? And hopefully it won't effect next years turn out? It was just rugged to see something sailing along and take such a nosedive....

May the Fruit begin to fly.....
    Last edited by Coyot_In_The_House; 09-04-2007, 07:14 PM.
    "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

That is the first I have ever heard of that happening. Sounds like a cluster f**k.
    There are 2 types of people in the world...
    Really stupid people who think they are smart
    and
    Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

yeah i heard that they didnt even say ... who was tied with who or was it a big huge 8 way tie?

which brings to mind that there must have been very very weird numercal distribution of points given .. like 5, 10, 15 or 2, 4, 6 ... which will always bring about ties and lots of them ... but an 8 way tie? never heard of that ..

it did sound very very "fishy" to me when i heard about it .. who was the head drum judge?

all singers should have stood up and said this is very ... strange and unprecidented .. and not gone thru with it. what happened to having the drums tied go sing their best new song in the middle .. without any mikes?
      Watch your broken dreams...
      Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

and also ... most northern groups have a minimum of four lead singers .. at least three with a main one lol. who got sent over .. red rover red rover style?

talk about a faux pas .... head drum judge prolly didnt really really think this all thru .... it sounded ok in my head lmao

Comment

Sounds like a wicked "Survivor" version of Drum Contestin'!

Drum competition is one the main events of some powwows. However, seems that these contests are being facilitated by folks that should have no business anywhere near a drum contest. Don't get me wrong, I fully believe in participation points to bring a lil' excitement and laughs and what not to the powwow, though participation means the same amount of points awarded to each drum group for exactly that: participating.

One drum judge, (nameless, he shall go) over in Elmo was having a lil' participation contest type thing for the contest drums and the winner of his lil' contest was going to be awarded a great big huge whoppin' amount of points. Needless to say that would have determined the winner right there on the spot. But, it was discussed, he acknowledged and apologized for his misconception of the "participation" segment. (and he was a dancer and I've never even seen him sing in his life before.......there's some fruit, so pull up your socks as it starts to fling across the screen, ayez!)

So, drum judges, and for that case pw committees, make sure your drum judge is well steeped and disciplined in the arts of drumming and singing, not just northern or southern for that matter. And additionally, remember to judge based solely on singing and drumming! Not how clean the area of the drum is; if you want the area clean, make it a rule for Pete's sake.

...that's so true....so, so true...

Comment

This seems like a very strange way to break a tie.

I am not a fan of participation points or spot checks or cleanliness points or whatever. Make it about the singing and dancing and leave it at that.

I am also not a fan of non-singers being drum judges. Just because a person can dance and is a champion dancer doesn't necessarily mean they know about singing. I've seen some people selected as head drum judge who never, ever sing. You can know about songs without knowing about singing...hope that makes sense.
            I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

Geez, I wuz readin' in the other thread and someone dropped the name of the drum judge! Dang. Kinda suprising, to me at least.

Comment

it was totally unnecessary..and dont forget the 'secret' judges they said they had!! when 2-of-3 of them freakin sang for one of the drums that was in in the 'sing-off'....lol....it was a great powwow until sunday night...but everyone had fun..thats all that matters...the dancing was awesome and the drums sang wicked songs all weekend! i hope the powwow name does not get runined by this...bcz we love going there every year..
                Last edited by Side_steppin_sweetie; 09-06-2007, 04:33 PM.
                My Sun Keeps Shining Day to Day- You May Hate It. But No One Can Ever Take That Away.

Comment

holay crap kd!! for realz .. man this drummin contest sounded real whack ..

ppl might still go next year cuz there's nothing else goin on that weekend in this part of the country .. but they might think twice

Comment

Originally posted by ntownn8ive View Post
                    One drum judge, (nameless, he shall go) over in Elmo (and he was a dancer and I've never even seen him sing in his life before.......there's some fruit, so pull up your socks as it starts to fling across the screen, ayez!)

Not how clean the area of the drum is; if you want the area clean, make it a rule for Pete's sake.
                    I know of the man you speaketh. He wasn't too excited about running the contest to begin with seeing as how he isn't really a drummer.

I know what you mean about cleanliness. I just tell drummers I will score it on the spot checks to keep them honest, because I really don't do spot checks.
                    It is so sad that a family can torn apart by something as simple as a wild pack of dogs.

Comment

Continuation of da Fruit.....

It just left a bad taste in my mouth....I aired out at Midnight.....So when I got da scoop later that day I was like Ohee! I wouldn't mind seeing something like that for a special, but a sing off? N da 8 ties? Kind of shakey....2 say da least...What really looped it 4 me was da Head Judge has been singing for years and knows better...or at least I would hope so? Now was it a Committee move? I don't think so. Talked to muh Grandpa this morning and he like the idea...so it makes ya think....On a better note the Powwow was a goot 1...Cho singing n dancing....Goot specials too....Good announcing....Haven't seen that turn out in years....
                      "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Sounds like something funky might have been going on...8 ties? It is hard enough to have 1 tie in a drum contest in a weekend. In that case you just let the drums in question go at it toe to toe from the chest in the middle of the arena with no mics.
                        It is so sad that a family can torn apart by something as simple as a wild pack of dogs.

Comment

Dang it, good drum contests are hard to find seems like. I like Kneegrow's term of 'conspiracy theorists' though! And honestly, I sometimes can't help but have that uneasy feeling from the funkiness surrounding the tabulations or drum judges.

Gotta admit, there have been times that we have placed where I don't think we were on point, then times where everything went as good as can be, and got the shaft. It's a strange business I guess.

"Let us smoke the pipe and discuss this some more."

Comment

That last drum contest we jammed in was fun and all, but honestly, I woulda felt weird if we would have placed. I think I would have demanded to see the books because there were drums way better than us at Wellpinit.

One gentleman that has run a few drum contests in his life likes to use 7 judges per a go round and then throw out the lowest and highest ballots from each round. He does this to prevent someone from "hooking up" some pals, or from hurting someone. Kind of a cool idea because I have run a few contests where judges have done that.

Comment

That's how they judge ice skating competition, too.....well, cuz I watched Blades of Fury, ayez!

I've always liked that idea though.

btw, I'mma hafta put my money on the Chargers; that's a pretty good opener for the regular season though against the Bears, naw meen!

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.