flag songs with no words?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flag songs with no words?

Are there flag songs that are only vocables, with no words? I recently heard a flag song like that and it got me to wondering. It was sung by a drum group I have not heard of before.

I have heard drums sing word flag songs without using the words. Mainly the Lakota flag songs. Maybe it is because they dont know Lakota.

I have also heard other word songs sung without the words.
    There are 2 types of people in the world...
    Really stupid people who think they are smart
    and
    Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

Generally.....

The Fort Berthold Flag song is sung without words..(although there are words)..It seems to be the standard Flag song....Its pretty when you put those Hidatsa words in there....Initially when I was learning certain songs I picked up the melody, or vocables before the words....If there are words, well put em in there....
      "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Some one can correct me if I am wrong (usually I am but anyways), alot of the so called flag songs that I am hearing at powwows, which alot of the time are sung in vocables, are based on a format of songs that were used at Sun Dances of the Northern Plains. These songs were sung at the close of the day and were called 'seranade songs'. Some of the ol' timers often recognize these songs as actual seranade songs, rather than what we know as, a flag song.

I know a handful of grass dance-type flag songs that are particular to a certain tribe, which have words, and some don't. Mostly the Lakota songs, which are sung in the seranade, or braveheart style, are deemed as flag songs, which do have words more often than not.

...that's so true....so, so true...

Comment

Interesting point......

Originally posted by ntownn8ive View Post
          Some one can correct me if I am wrong (usually I am but anyways), alot of the so called flag songs that I am hearing at powwows, which alot of the time are sung in vocables, are based on a format of songs that were used at Sun Dances of the Northern Plains. These songs were sung at the close of the day and were called 'seranade songs'. Some of the ol' timers often recognize these songs as actual seranade songs, rather than what we know as, a flag song.

I know a handful of grass dance-type flag songs that are particular to a certain tribe, which have words, and some don't. Mostly the Lakota songs, which are sung in the seranade, or braveheart style, are deemed as flag songs, which do have words more often than not.
          I've heard this before.....I'd like to run this by my older bros and get their feedback.....
          "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Coyot!

...that's so true....so, so true...

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.