2nds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nds

hey, what is a good exercise to be a good 2nd after a lead. does it need to be louder than the lead? does it need to be higher? on cd, the lead is louder than the 2nd. i think that is because of the mic is closer to the lead singer. i use to try and sing loud, but now i try to match everybody else pitch and volume. but sometimes it sounds like the group is not coming in strong together. i don't lead, but i wont to do my part to make the group sound good. i try to sing everyday and work on harmonizing with cdz from Dry Lake, Bear Springs, Pipestone, Indian Nation, and other straight songs. i just like singing and hoping for any tips that help me improve.

keep on singing

for 2nds or leads or singing in general I would suggest listening to yourself. get a recorder and sing the songs you like to sing, and then listen to it. you dont need a drum just tap your leg.you might not even know it, but your timing might be off. dont 4get 2 sing ur favorite side steps, crow hops anything with a different beat and see what happens.

I think once you're comfortable with your voice on its own, then you can start thinking about singing louder and how you all sound together. but if you feel better and have confidence, naturally you'll sound better and so will the group.

one last thing you said you don't lead but maybe you should try. leading forces you to get comfortable taking it up and also to think on your feet. I don't pass on hardly any leads now, even if I'm not sure how the lead goes. I might f--- up but oh well that's how it goes for everybody. sounds like you are interested in developing as a singer so why not try it? so what if you never become the big cheese top lead singer at least you'll know your limitations and that's good too.

I can remember first few times I led just felt awkward, but nobody laffed too hard so I kept at it. then first time I ever started a song I was so juiced up I started way too high and we sounded ridiculous hahah. 2nd lead nobody else wanted, we just laffed hahaha.

example I know singers who sound pretty tough and lead all the time, but they still dont like starting out the song. one time that happened was just a few of us and I got to start some songs in those cases. was just a lil community event but since then I've expanded responsibilities to where I feel I can "bring it" whatever the occasion... everybody has a role somehow....

good luck!

Originally posted by kguerito View Post
    hey, what is a good exercise to be a good 2nd after a lead. does it need to be louder than the lead? does it need to be higher? on cd, the lead is louder than the 2nd. i think that is because of the mic is closer to the lead singer. i use to try and sing loud, but now i try to match everybody else pitch and volume. but sometimes it sounds like the group is not coming in strong together. i don't lead, but i wont to do my part to make the group sound good. i try to sing everyday and work on harmonizing with cdz from Dry Lake, Bear Springs, Pipestone, Indian Nation, and other straight songs. i just like singing and hoping for any tips that help me improve.

Comment

Good Advice Woof Woof....

Kguerito you sound young...Its good you ask questions....I'd encourage you take that lead...Practice get comfortable with it....To me a lead is a second....Relax too...Sounds pretty simple but true......Thats what it boils down too...Good luck...
      "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

relax and sing from your gut..........'yote knows what I'm talking about....LOL!!!........seriously though, don't squeeze your throat, learn to harmonize and maybe I'll see you on the trail........
        sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

yeah good points coyote and 50 cal...

....don't forget to relax and have fun while you're at it!

I agree 100% that a 2nd should be just like your lead. I used to try and sing too hard on 2nd but then my leads sounded kinda shabby. I got exposed as a rookie trying too hard haha after that I learned to hold back, work on my voice n make the lead smooth, then get louder. thats how it was for me, but some guys are natural blasters from the start.

I think harmonizing is big too, it's a mindset. one of the most fun things for me is having 4-6 heads and blending our voices to make a bigger sound. on the other extreme haven't we all been in large crews 12+ where everybody tries to outsing everybody else?

It took years for me to understand this stuff and it takes time to find your comfort zone. there's always something new so thats what makes singing fun.

Comment

Boozhoo niji,

I have been singing with a few drums here or there, and I finally have my own. I can tell you every drum is different for one thing. If you don't fit in with one there are 100s more out there always looking for more singers.

When you say you are singing seconds, are you singing a song that has a second lead or are you just following up the lead? It has been my experience, both in following and leading that the leader often times does not repeat the lead, cause he has to catch his breath. So the singers have to pick that up and hard to carry the song.

As far as louder goes, I can probably sing as loud as anyone or better, but... this again can work many ways. In a good way if you lead a song and can really throw it out there then that pushes your guys to sing all the louder. If you are just following a lead and the leader is out of breath then louder might just cause the others to pick it up a notch. But... some drums dislike singers that come out all bad..s and louder than the others, and you might just get wacked with a drum beater. Either that or the head singer will make you lead the next song. At any rate you have to come in with a bunch of guys, check them out first and sing a few songs with them before you slam them with your mega voice.

For me its always been, well living in Florida is one strike against me, cause either I would have to travel 100 miles just to practice with my niji, or they would. Either way, traveling to practice just bites, especially at today's gas prices. Practice is necessary. All of the big drum names out there, you can bet they all pretty much live in close proximity to each other and practice frequently, I would not be surprised if it was more than once a week. Some of the older, more established drums might not practice anymore, you can bet they did back in the day though.

Finally, to everyone else that posted yall have given some top notch advice. Just tryin to add a little myself, and yeah I learned something from reading it too. Miigwetch

Derek
            I believe in something I want to believe, not what someone wants me to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by crazywolf View Post
              Boozhoo niji,

I have been singing with a few drums here or there, and I finally have my own. I can tell you every drum is different for one thing. If you don't fit in with one there are 100s more out there always looking for more singers.

When you say you are singing seconds, are you singing a song that has a second lead or are you just following up the lead? It has been my experience, both in following and leading that the leader often times does not repeat the lead, cause he has to catch his breath. So the singers have to pick that up and hard to carry the song.

As far as louder goes, I can probably sing as loud as anyone or better, but... this again can work many ways. In a good way if you lead a song and can really throw it out there then that pushes your guys to sing all the louder. If you are just following a lead and the leader is out of breath then louder might just cause the others to pick it up a notch. But... some drums dislike singers that come out all bad..s and louder than the others, and you might just get wacked with a drum beater. Either that or the head singer will make you lead the next song. At any rate you have to come in with a bunch of guys, check them out first and sing a few songs with them before you slam them with your mega voice.

For me its always been, well living in Florida is one strike against me, cause either I would have to travel 100 miles just to practice with my niji, or they would. Either way, traveling to practice just bites, especially at today's gas prices. Practice is necessary. All of the big drum names out there, you can bet they all pretty much live in close proximity to each other and practice frequently, I would not be surprised if it was more than once a week. Some of the older, more established drums might not practice anymore, you can bet they did back in the day though.

Finally, to everyone else that posted yall have given some top notch advice. Just tryin to add a little myself, and yeah I learned something from reading it too. Miigwetch

Derek
              dang, i never got wacked with a 'drum beater' before.

...GoT GreaSe?...

www.Grease.It.Ayye.com
              RezinInc

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stillrezin View Post

not even while I was wearing my wife beater..............LOL!!!!!
                sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

Originally posted by stillrezin View Post

Whacked, smacked, hit, its all why those southern boys have those long sticks man, so they can reach all the way across the drum and apply disciplinary action.
                  I believe in something I want to believe, not what someone wants me to believe.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.