X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WhoMe View Post
    John,

Good point.

How does a drum singing a remix, let everyone know they have permission to change a song?

How is this relayed to the community members and relatives of where the song originated?
    You know what? I could only answer these two questions based on how I would handle it for myself, not anyone else. Some folks may agree, some may not, but my uncles(KTN Society) have shown me many things, and with what they have shown me, these are the best answers I can come up with...

A drum singing a "remix" could take the time to announce over the microphone via the MC or someone appointed by the group singing the song(which is usually the lead singer), and inform the people in attendance as to the history of the song and the steps that were taken to "modify" the song. To let everyone know that what was done has been done with the best of intentions in mind and that the steps that were taken were the best steps that could have been taken at the time of the modification of the "song" being sung. And also, that this "remix" has been done with the approval/permission of the appropriate individual(s), before the song is sung/delivered.

A drum could relay their "right" to alter or "change" a song up to the community members and relatives of where the song originated via the individual(s) that actually gave the "approval/permission", being that "those" certain people would more than likely be returning to/residing in that community before the singing group would.

Now, another way to do this would be for the group that is to sing the initial tune of the "remix", to be at a pow wow within the community from which the song originated, and to announce it then and there, on the P.A. outloud and in the open with everyone present that needs to be, so that there is no room for misconceptions.

Also, one extra step that can be taken, is to get as much history on the song as possible, and the full name and contact information such as phone numbers, or cell numbers of the individual(s) that have given "approval/permission" so that if any "challenges" come up, you will be able to cover yourselves...but then again, if everything is done on the up and up, and people feel or sense that what has been done has been done with the best of intentions, there usually won't be any issues...but that's just me.

Comment

There is one song that I know alot of groups sing, now is it stealing if practically 'everyone', alot of groups already know the song? But then again if everyone else already knows the song youre just trying to get to the same level as everyone else. But the original group sings the song to the way it was originally sung. This Group was called High Rock of Cross Lake, these singers went apart and to their seperate ways. The ssong they sang was derrived from a gospel song called In The Sweet Bye And Bye, it is often sung as a Memorial-Honor song. They sung the chorus of the song in Cree and the lead is different from the straight version. The straight version to this song is sung all around Powwow country.

Comment

A friend was telling me a Cree woman travelled to the Southwest recently and heard a Cree song from her area. The Cree words had been taken out and replaced by one of the Southwest languages.

Hmmm?

So if a person records a song or buys a CD, is this now their song to do with what they want? Does public domain apply when songs are sung at powwows or other public Native events?

Intertribal exchange has always taken place. In the past, rights and ownership were heavily paid for.

Unfortunately, we aren't living in the past. For the price of a tape or CD, you have instant music.

What's your take?
        I was listening to a buddy's peyote cd and the songs sounded familiar, when it would get to the word part it threw me. Then I figured that they were all Sac N Fox songs, with all the words replaced with Navajo words.
        sigpic

Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by ndnsooner View Post
          I was listening to a buddy's peyote cd and the songs sounded familiar, when it would get to the word part it threw me. Then I figured that they were all Sac N Fox songs, with all the words replaced with Navajo words.

ndn,

Now your getting warmer to the REAL reason for this thread!
          Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

ndn,

I was pretty caught off guard by this and still not sure what to think. Maybe there was an explanation on the CD cover. Maybe who ever made the CD was given perimission from the likes of McClellan's, Barkers, Butlers or Harris's.
            sigpic

Contest Coordinator & Calendar Admin
            [email protected]

Comment

ndn,

that navajos are some uncreative natives????????
              sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

When you sing a song in public....

Now matter how many times you say it belongs to you and your family and so on....It basically belongs to the people....The Community at large....If it was not your intent to share it, well sing it in the shower at home.....Yes people should respect the song and most do....From time to time some will go off in other directions, so how can you handle or address that? I've met several singers over the years who were quite pleased when "Their" music was shared or admired and used in a good way.....I've also met some singers who make their way up to the speaker stand and start off with......"MY RELATIVES........." Well you know your in for a long one when they kick it off like that.....
                "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

I have talked with numerous singers from different places over the years who have told me that we don't actually own the songs, we simply carry them and share them. Only selfish people want to keep the songs for themselves. Where I come from one of the teachings is the songs own us and we need to share them in a good way. Some believe these songs were given to them to help others feel better and help some prary. So it depends on your point of view and how the teachings were given.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.