Flash In The Pan.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash In The Pan.....

Over Night Sensations, The Best Evers, The Greatest, Divas, and on and on and on.....What gives here? Seems singers all of a sudden inherit or stumble upon....Noteriety? Sure there is talent, but whatever happenned to earning your keep? To me groups like Badlands, Porcupine, Ironwood, and Mandaree (to name a few) earned that respect.....It took years for them to establish it and their singing without a doubt has influenced todays Powwow. Those old school groups have spanned generations....Did we hear years back that they were the greatest thing since sliced bread? Sure they have a following and people appreciate and enjoy their music, but why these days do people catorgize and label groups relatively new as "the best"? I'm sure some will read this and feel...."he's hating..." Well thats not the case i'm just stating people should set the margins wider.....

What i've noticed lately is the Britney Spears Syndrome....Land a good agent and some press, hike your skirt up and show some flesh and your a Diva? I suppose the world is getting smaller these days....Thanks to The Information Super Highway....Another example is as soon as something makes News well its not long before a book is out and a mini series? It happens so fast....Whatever happenned to the true sense of earning your keep? Something that is actually newsworthy? It just seems cheap and there is not much substance.

Recently I read some info in regards to women backup singers and how certain singers are being classified as the "pioneers"....Interesting enough I didn't see names of singers who made waves in the 60's or 70's....The names were younger people who yes are good singers, but pioneers?

I should say in certain cases singers are not the ones responsible for plastering the airways with "we're the best" advertising......Hey theres nothing wrong with letting a singer or a group know you like them, thats fine. Just be careful when you use words like.....The Greatest, or Pioneers and so on.....Next time test the water a little before you dive head first off the deep end....cause the pool just might empty or shallow at best......
    "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Originally posted by Coyot_In_The_House View Post
    Over Night Sensations, The Best Evers, The Greatest, Divas, and on and on and on.....What gives here? Seems singers all of a sudden inherit or stumble upon....Noteriety? Sure there is talent, but whatever happenned to earning your keep? To me groups like Badlands, Porcupine, Ironwood, and Mandaree (to name a few) earned that respect.....It took years for them to establish it and their singing without a doubt has influenced todays Powwow. Those old school groups have spanned generations....Did we hear years back that they were the greatest thing since sliced bread? Sure they have a following and people appreciate and enjoy their music, but why these days do people catorgize and label groups relatively new as "the best"? I'm sure some will read this and feel...."he's hating..." Well thats not the case i'm just stating people should set the margins wider.....

What i've noticed lately is the Britney Spears Syndrome....Land a good agent and some press, hike your skirt up and show some flesh and your a Diva? I suppose the world is getting smaller these days....Thanks to The Information Super Highway....Another example is as soon as something makes News well its not long before a book is out and a mini series? It happens so fast....Whatever happenned to the true sense of earning your keep? Something that is actually newsworthy? It just seems cheap and there is not much substance.

Recently I read some info in regards to women backup singers and how certain singers are being classified as the "pioneers"....Interesting enough I didn't see names of singers who made waves in the 60's or 70's....The names were younger people who yes are good singers, but pioneers?

I should say in certain cases singers are not the ones responsible for plastering the airways with "we're the best" advertising......Hey theres nothing wrong with letting a singer or a group know you like them, thats fine. Just be careful when you use words like.....The Greatest, or Pioneers and so on.....Next time test the water a little before you dive head first off the deep end....cause the pool just might empty or shallow at best......
    you sure do got loads of time on your hands brother......
    sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

awww man....

Originally posted by 50cal View Post
      you sure do got loads of time on your hands brother......
      lol.....you ain't right 50.....
      Underneath all this genius I'm just a human being.....but I'm working on that.....

Comment

LOL!!!....I try......
        sigpic

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.

Comment

10 minutes tops.....

I type fast......No comments? Too touchy of an issue....?

50.....your the last person who should ask how much time someone has.....Mr. 6325 posts.....Carry on.....
          Last edited by Coyot_In_The_House; 10-01-2008, 03:57 PM.
          "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

are you upset????????????
            sigpic

Comment

?C'mon.....

Originally posted by 50cal View Post
              are you upset????????????
              Your kidding right?

Comment

LOL ... well i havent commented ... cuz im really unsure what you are asking LOL. kinda blonde today ... and alot of days ...

are you talking about .... new drums .... with "new" lead singers from other established groups (may have been one of the four lead singers or one of the song makers) ... stepping out on their own ... on the shirt tails of the established group? and before they have even cut a CD or gotten a host job (on their own merit) and .... have a myspace profile up ... flooded youtube with shakey grainy cell phone vids .... and just plain talkin sheit to anyone that will listen (and hopefully not tell who they are talkin smack about)? LOL

or are we actually talkin about .... britney spears and her ooh hoo? LOL
                Watch your broken dreams...
                Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Originally posted by chazziff View Post
                  LOL ... well i havent commented ... cuz im really unsure what you are asking LOL. kinda blonde today ... and alot of days ...

are you talking about .... new drums .... with "new" lead singers from other established groups (may have been one of the four lead singers or one of the song makers) ... stepping out on their own ... on the shirt tails of the established group? and before they have even cut a CD or gotten a host job (on their own merit) and .... have a myspace profile up ... flooded youtube with shakey grainy cell phone vids .... and just plain talkin sheit to anyone that will listen (and hopefully not tell who they are talkin smack about)? LOL

or are we actually talkin about .... britney spears and her ooh hoo? LOL
                  Well I'm certainly not talking about Britney Spears! 1geh....Just using an analogy....Example....

As far as singers it applies to those who have not been around too long .......People who for some far gone reason sum up the Powwow world over the past few years?

Comment

i know a cpl dudes like that .... LOL ... youngens .... but yeah its just a case of dumb azz'ism

for whatever reason .... they picked up a stick ... and found out they have a half way decent voice .... or a deadly one. i know of a cpl who picked up a stick cuz they was locked up .... and more or less forced to to pass the time.

they werent educated by their teachers (singers who for a cpl hundred go and sing a cpl songs with these young offenders). they dont have a good family to fall back on (why else would they be out .... doing sheit that would make em end up in the system).
                    Watch your broken dreams...
                    Dance in and out of the beams of a neon moon

Comment

Originally posted by chazziff View Post
                      i know a cpl dudes like that .... LOL ... youngens .... but yeah its just a case of dumb azz'ism

for whatever reason .... they picked up a stick ... and found out they have a half way decent voice .... or a deadly one. i know of a cpl who picked up a stick cuz they was locked up .... and more or less forced to to pass the time.

they werent educated by their teachers (singers who for a cpl hundred go and sing a cpl songs with these young offenders). they dont have a good family to fall back on (why else would they be out .... doing sheit that would make em end up in the system).
                      Dude, you need to work on that country girl shyness. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I totally agree with coyot...

A lot of drum groups today are all about getting a crew together, "writing" some songs and getting a CD out as quickly as possible. There are very few groups in today's pow wow world that can even come close to groups like Porcupine, Ironwood, and Badlands. I think one of the main differences is traditional teachings...the older groups had it...a lot of the newer groups don't.

But, that said, there are some groups kicking out some nice music these days.
                        I think everyone on this rez is addicted to Harry Potter...lol...

Comment

Your kidding right?
                          Yeah....LOL!!!......hmmmm...........I'm gonna have to think about this one for a bit.......maybe it's the Britney analogy.....you got groups nowadays who are looking for the most creative way to do something, everything else seems to become obsolete.....I guess you could compare it to the Fancy Shawl dancers, long ago it was just a couple of sequins, a little design and a plain shawl and you were ready to go, now it's like everyones got to have the fluorescent shiny stuff...the intense intricate beadwork displaying some team or logo.....just a thought....I just prefer the straight simple style of old.........
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by badmaninc View Post
                            Dude, you need to work on that country girl shyness. !!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            she's far from it..........*L*
                            sigpic

Comment

so whats the real problem program?? the fact that "younger" singers are being recognized for their singing n that people appreciate them for their music, or the fact that there are groups who have been around since way back n haven't been looked up to or "respected" like some of the newer groups?? I believe people should be able to express themselves in any way they choose without being ridiculed for it. You know Badlands, Porcupine, Ironwood, and Mandaree were once young fellas starting out and I'm sure they probably referred to as the "greatest" as well, there was just no powwows.com out there then to upset people! At one time they were the younger singers and what if they became discouraged because people said they "didn't earn their keep," would we then not have anyone to look up to, or would the controversy of "greatest" even be an issue? I'm all for respecting the singers of the past, but what about the generations coming up? Shouldn't they have someone to look up to like we did? Surely there will be a time when youngsters are going to need someone to look up to as well, and who are we to cast judgement on what they feel is the "Greatest?" I feel we should be grateful that the younger singers are encouraged to keep the singing alive, whether it be from a drum from the past or present. Singing is singing, music is music, as long as its not lost, who really cares who looks up to who, or who is the "greatest or best"...........

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X