A.I.M. Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I.M. Song

This subject came up in an other thread...I just thought it would be interesting to hear where this song came from....so anyone that knows anything about this song, please share your thoughts and comments...lets here about the origin and so on.

Aho.
    True to my word.

???

That is a good question? Where did that song originate? I seriously don't know, and sang that song numerous times.

Comment

I heard it was a regular intertribal song and then when the s*** hit the fan in SD in the 70s they happened to be singing that song for the news cameras. Everyone thought it was an AIM song so it became associated with AIM.
      There are 2 types of people in the world...
      Really stupid people who think they are smart
      and
      Really smart people who think they are smart.

Comment

ok here is what i have been told It was written by sievert young bear from porcupine south dakota he is an oglala sioux and for many years was the lead singer of the porcupine singer

Anyhow yeah the song had been written just before the wounded knee thing so it was sorta fresh in a bunch of the guys minds so as a statement more or less of their indian identity they began to sing an indian song the news cameras and reporters soon assumed since they are indian and indians as we all know have a song for everything they called it the aim song

aims original intention was to be a society that cared for the people and made sure the people where alright ofcourse we all know that it turned into a militant society because of alot of youth and well conflict

so anyhow a week or so after the wounded knee thing porcupine singer where singing at a powwow and it was one of their new songs just written so they busted it out and in came all the aim people who recognized it with guns slung over their shoulders and it has just become more and more political since then

as far as it being used on the east coast i don't think there is a drum group that doesn't know how the song goes and depending on how bad the powwow is that you go to they will almost always ask for the song to be sung but when you hear it sung dance hard cause it is a good song but it is just an intertribal.

the song doesn't have any words its just a straight vocable song so thats all it is is an intertribal

peace out people

Comment

WOW tradish, you know some stuff.

Did you do a report in high school on this?
          and

Comment

haha nah dude i just know my stuff

i did do a few reports in school on the lakota though and the teachers ussually failed me cause i made the indians look like the heros instead of the government they didn't like that so much in us history i ended up teaching alot of my history classes on indians

Comment

It's a good song and all.. But people just played it out for me.. its "Expected" to be sung at every powwow here in New England hence its lost its true meaning..
              Yes, YOU too can do it for the Nookie.

Comment

Originally posted by ReZDoG
                It's a good song and all.. But people just played it out for me.. its "Expected" to be sung at every powwow here in New England hence its lost its true meaning..
                Yo..Ill have to disagree with you on that one Rez Dogg. IT has been played out but it feels soo damn good sometimes to sing it. Especially when the drums are put all together and every drum and singer is just blasting it!! There was this one time...in Bangor at that forum one day powow for the health thing from Indian Island....when muh group eastern star was down there...and we all sang it. That was beautiful...and when moments like dat pop up...the AIM song is way worth it to kick out. :Thumbs

Comment

Aaahhh...the AIM song, that's something I haven't heard since high school

Comment

Originally posted by DaBear23
                    Yo..Ill have to disagree with you on that one Rez Dogg. IT has been played out but it feels soo damn good sometimes to sing it. Especially when the drums are put all together and every drum and singer is just blasting it!! There was this one time...in Bangor at that forum one day powow for the health thing from Indian Island....when muh group eastern star was down there...and we all sang it. That was beautiful...and when moments like dat pop up...the AIM song is way worth it to kick out. :Thumbs
                    I agree.. It does feel good when its sung right.. on our rez, we have our chief and his drum that sings the sing, its a Perfect mix between the AIM song and the Peltier song.. I'm just tired if hearing the song being sung wrong..
                    Yes, YOU too can do it for the Nookie.

Comment

speaking of the AIM song,

at fort hall idaho, i heard that someone requested that song and surprisenly alot of people dance.
                      i havent heard that song since i was young one. :o

Comment

http://www.ket.org/artstoolkit/music/lessonplan/137.htm

A link to Dennis Banks singing a Grass Dance song. It sounds alot like the AIM song.
                        and

Comment

Long Haired Song

During one of his ceremonies, Martin High Bear asked the singers to sing that Long Haired Song, he said, you know the one the long hairs like. He told us that some of his helpers were the Long Hair people, they were about knee high and had really long hair: they love it when people sing and dance because we're happy then. We didn't know what song he was talking about and he kept talking, he said you know that one, you call it some thing else now a days, the aim song. Everyone knew what song he meant. We must have sang and danced in the darkness for about a half hour that night. I miss his ceremonies. He said that a small child first started singing that song and thats where it came from.

Comment

Re: Long Haired Song

Originally posted by angkapp
                            During one of his ceremonies, Martin High Bear asked the singers to sing that Long Haired Song, he said, you know the one the long hairs like. He told us that some of his helpers were the Long Hair people, they were about knee high and had really long hair: they love it when people sing and dance because we're happy then. We didn't know what song he was talking about and he kept talking, he said you know that one, you call it some thing else now a days, the aim song. Everyone knew what song he meant. We must have sang and danced in the darkness for about a half hour that night. I miss his ceremonies. He said that a small child first started singing that song and thats where it came from.
                            Oh you almost made me cry! I miss Martin and miss his ceremonies too. I used to drive for him cuz he needed help driving long distances. :)
                            Last edited by Kakeeya; 02-17-2005, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Ah-how, Many megwetches for your words and sharing your memories. Those days are long gone but it's nice to talk about them with someone. It doesn't feel so lonely you know. I used to love it when Matin would say ah-how when he was listening to peoples prayers.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.