Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Do You Think Will Make The Biggest "Splash" In The Pow-wow World This Year????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Do You Think Will Make The Biggest "Splash" In The Pow-wow World This Year????

Who do you think will be the drum to beat, the drum to record, and the drum that all you dancers want to dance to????
    Battle River
    3.35%
    Bear Creek
    19.55%
    Black Lodge
    2.79%
    Black Stone
    0.56%
    Eyabay
    5.59%
    Eya-hay Nakota
    4.47%
    High Noon
    2.23%
    Midnite Express
    15.64%
    Mystic River
    8.38%
    Northern Cree
    8.94%
    Smokey Town
    3.35%
    Southern Cree
    2.79%
    Stoney Creek
    3.35%
    The Boyz
    6.15%
    White Fish Jrs.
    2.79%
    Wild Horse
    3.35%
    Wild Rose
    6.70%

*There are 2 sides to every coin!

*A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done. - Vince Lombardi

*Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work. - Vince Lombardi

You sure don't give us much of a choice!!!

Just kidding.

So many good ones. They all make an impact.

To be fair, I guess the drum that makes the biggest splash woul be the group with the biggest guys who hit the hotel pool. LOL

Comment

This is Midnight's year. Look at the powwow posters across the country to see how many times they are host and you'll see how popular they are, at this point in time.

They came out with some unique drum beats (though, not new, they are credited with making them popular.) They also got a good group of singers from different drums and some new faces.

Visually, they are exciting to watch. I got to drum judge them in Cali. When they are crewed up', they ARE "all that!"

But, mark my words. . .

In three years, another drum group will come out with a new trend or style of singing . . . and replace Midnight in popularity.
      Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Hope you don't let your being a fan of Midnite cloud your judgement when you're drum judging.

*A man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done. - Vince Lombardi

*Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work. - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Let me clear my throat..... Mhhnnnmm MMnnnnnn. :D

Excuse me for being so quick to judge WhoMe. I guess I was only reading the part where you said that you drum judged them and thought they were " ALL THAT ".
          I don't want to turn this into a arguementive thread, so just ingnore that last comment. It wasn't thought through and it shows.
          :czyeyes: :duhh:

:agree?:

AHO

Comment

Originally posted by The_HULK
            Excuse me for being so quick to judge WhoMe. I guess I was only reading the part where you said that you drum judged them and thought they were " ALL THAT ".
            I don't want to turn this into a arguementive thread, so just ingnore that last comment. It wasn't thought through and it shows.
            :czyeyes: :duhh: :agree?:
            AHO
            ___

Hulkster:

Nada Problemo. No offense taken.

I judge both dancers and singers knowing there are both good days, as well as off days in competion. I take this into consideration and judge accordingly.

I am not into picking people because of their name or status in the powwow world.

If a less well known drum kicks it up a knotch for a particular session of judging, that's who I go with. I also watch to see how the dancers react to the singing.
            Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

:Thumbs

Good to hear!

Midnite Express was "all that" for awhile now. Hats off to Midnite :worthy:

I was just concerned with judges, who judge their friends/idles. It just doesn't sit well with me knowing I'm in a contest thats being judged by a bias judge.

I remember one time we were being judged by a "certain drums" uncle, and he walked away from every drum in the contest before their song was over, all except his nephews drum. Like, some judges walk away during the last verse of the song, but this was right after, or sometimes during, the last lead. He really looked unimpressed by all these drums. Got that whole contest round on video too. You can tell just by look of boredom compared to the look of pride, that he wasn't being fair.

Again, good to hear that you are one of the good judges. :Thumbs

Comment

Yeah...ya gotta watch out for the a$$lickers. Watch this summer. Not just in singin' but dancin' too. Some people just ain't got no SHAME!
                tuck & roll

Comment

Originally posted by KeetersCAT
                  Some people just ain't got no SHAME!
                  I know what you mean.

I hope that Schemitzun is going to be fair this year. Not saying that it wasn't before, but people were saying things the last time there was a triple crown. Rumours are rumours, but you never know.

Comment

EAGLE FEATHER!!!!!

Comment

wow..this is a good thread...:Thumbs... it really brings up a good topic.. Drum Judging!! :)

Comment

it is difficult many times to find honest, objective people to judge.
                        "Gaa wiin daa-aangoshkigaazo ahaw enaabiyaan gaa-inaabid"

Comment

Originally posted by ojibwaysweetie
                          it is difficult many times to find honest, objective people to judge.
                          That is true.

I think sometimes it is better to get people who don't normally spend time around drums to judge. This usually makes some people talk about how you should get people who "know how to judge", but who really "knows" the best way to judge.

If the judging ballot is clear, and well thought out, then all a judge should need to so is judge whats on the ballot. I seen some ballots where it's just; cleaniness, singing, start/stop on time. Thats way to vague if you ask me. Nobody asked :), but I'm telling anyways. It should include things like; are the dancers dancing (for intertribals), how does the song make you feel, and are all the singers singing (eg. no lip-syncers). Things like that.

I say judges should be picked from everywhere in the pow-wow arena. Not just people you know, or you seen before, maybe some people who never judged before.

Comment

Splash!!!

Battle River

Comment

Biggest Splash!

Well without a Doubt either Freddie Cozad or Jr. Merrick....

Just picture those brothers cannon balling.....Now that would be a SPLASH! GAWWWW! :Shocked
                              "She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Sidebar Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X