• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Singing Contest Division/s?

Singing contests are divided several ways:

1. Northern and Southern
    2. Northern and Southern combined
    3. Northern Traditional, Northern Contemporary and Southern

Because there are far more northern drums that southern drums in existance, there is justification that the Northern Singing Category to be divided.

However, there seems to also be justification that the majority of southern contest drums that travel do not sing traditional songs when they compete. They sing their own contemporary compositions. (*Note. Most top southern contest drums also participate in their tribal ceremonies and do know traditional songs as well).

So is there justification on possibly competing in the contemporary category with the northern drums?

Or maybe take it one step farther and have separate southern traditional and southern contemporary divisions?

What's your take?
    Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

...scratches head...

WhoMe...I'm not sure if I'm following you....it's late...lol....

When you say "Northern Traditional" vs "Northern Contemporary", you mean the traditional guys sing more word songs? older songs? more rockin' songs? I don't sing Northern, so I honestly don't know.
    To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

Originally posted by LSS
      WhoMe...I'm not sure if I'm following you....it's late...lol....

When you say "Northern Traditional" vs "Northern Contemporary", you mean the traditional guys sing more word songs? older songs? more rockin' songs? I don't sing Northern, so I honestly don't know.
      _

Lss,

Traditional = traditional, tribal powwow songs sung for generations at tribal celebrations

Contemporary = recent songs composed by members of an established drum group or song composer

Comment

What would define a southern "traditional" drum vs a southern "contemporary" drum? I would like to think even the most "contemporary" drum has a solid foundation on traditional songs anyway (or at least should). So I would think it would come down to what song the drum is going to sing at competition?
        ***Edited for explicit content***

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeEater
          What would define a southern "traditional" drum vs a southern "contemporary" drum? I would like to think even the most "contemporary" drum has a solid foundation on traditional songs anyway (or at least should). So I would think it would come down to what song the drum is going to sing at competition?
          __

Smoke E.,

I think most Oklahoma drum groups could sing southern traditional songs when called for (snake&buffalo, trotdance/horse stealing, war mothers, individual/family/clan songs etc.)

But what about other good "southern drums" who have adapted the southern style (southern outlawz, southern suns, silver cloud etc. etc.) ?

If they came to Oklahoma, could they or would they sing a requested traditional song for an appropriate occassion?

Comment

I think drum groups from outside the area in and around Oklahoma would have a hard time singing requested songs. Shoot I've seen Drum groups have a hard time singing requested songs that are from oklahoma. Contemp is cool at Big Contest powwows. I was in Oregon this past summer at a big contest powwow, youngbird was there, they sung Tradish Oklahoma powwow songs, no contemp songs like I thought they would. I heard ponca and pawnee songs, ones that are sung all the time at ok Dances.

I personally like Tradish songs.....

Some contemp songs sound alot like each other.
            Dayum I make some keen DrumSticks!!!!!!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NDNTacO49
              I think drum groups from outside the area in and around Oklahoma would have a hard time singing requested songs. Shoot I've seen Drum groups have a hard time singing requested songs that are from oklahoma. Contemp is cool at Big Contest powwows. I was in Oregon this past summer at a big contest powwow, youngbird was there, they sung Tradish Oklahoma powwow songs, no contemp songs like I thought they would. I heard ponca and pawnee songs, ones that are sung all the time at ok Dances.

I personally like Tradish songs.....

Some contemp songs sound alot like each other.
              I like and prefer to sing older songs myself, and I think a lot of new stuff, while it may rock, sounds generic.

But what about other good "southern drums" who have adapted the southern style (southern outlawz, southern suns, silver cloud etc. etc.) ?
              If they came to Oklahoma, could they or would they sing a requested traditional song for an appropriate occassion?
              I would hope that those drums would have taken the time to learn those songs before hand, although they may never have the opportunity to sing them anyplace else...

just my thoughts.
              ***Edited for explicit content***

Comment

I think they should have split cat. for southern.There are some quality drums that sing old Ponca,Pawnee,or Ohoma Lodge war dance songs.Then you have the one that have that all too familer "nasely high pich" scream.They all try and sound the same.(like YB) There songs are ok but they sound just how Smoke eater said"generic".

BUt if you had something like that than you would need some pretty darn good people to judge. I mean they would have to know whats tradish. and whats contemp.
                Southern Boy

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.