Singing 4 your supper...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singing 4 your supper...

Over the past five years, I've noticed a trend, at least among the Midwest States, where pow-wow committees are hiring only 1-2 drums to carry a pow-wow. In addition, these pow-wow committees ask a drum to travel, in some cases 1-2 states distance for an "honorarium" of $300-to maybe $500.

I know we all say: "It's not all about the money--but man..gas, lodging and food, especially for a full crew of singers, doesn't come cheap.

What do U all think?

lol exactly. All singers SHOULD no this. I no wut your talking about because people call me to do powwows all over and they don't offer enough to bring 8-9 singers and pay for rooms/gas. i feel ya!!
    bucwild2012

Comment

Damn!

, these pow-wow committees ask a drum to travel, in some cases 1-2 states distance for an "honorarium" of $300-to maybe $500.

I know we all say: "It's not all about the money--but man..gas, lodging and food, especially for a full crew of singers, doesn't come cheap.

Damn thats cheap!! LOL
      Southern Boy

Comment

This is kinda a funny thread. Sorry *L *cough *cough

Traditional Ceremonial Singers all over INDIAN COUNTRY sing for 3 to 4 days or nights using just one drum. They don't have the luxury that powwow singers have by using a microphone/speakers/amplifiers to enhance their voices.

I rarely hear these singers complain or worry about money...

(

Hmmmmmmm?

___

*LMAO I'm just bustin' on ya' CrazyInDn! You're my bro!

(Your thread was about to expire and I wanted to breath some life into it!)
        Powwows will continue to evolve in many directions. It is inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe

Traditional Ceremonial Singers all over INDIAN COUNTRY sing for 3 to 4 days or nights using just one drum. They don't have the luxury that powwow singers have by using a microphone/speakers/amplifiers to enhance their voices.

(

Hmmmmmmm?

he he he....is this b/c you don't know any of these singers?

j/k WhoMe......
          To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

LSS sing the Supper Song now!
            Dayum I make some keen DrumSticks!!!!!!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NDNTacO49
              LSS sing the Supper Song now!
              LOL....

way ya hah ya, way ya hah ya "it's supper time".....way ya hah way ya hah~~~~~

j/k folks!
              To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!

Comment

Originally posted by LSS
                LOL....

way ya hah ya, way ya hah ya "it's supper time".....way ya hah way ya hah~~~~~

j/k folks!
                Don't forget to ring the "supper bell" also, lol.
                Southern Boy

Comment

Originally posted by WhoMe

(

Hmmmmmmm?

___

*LMAO I'm just bustin' on ya' CrazyInDn! You're my bro!

(Your thread was about to expire and I wanted to breath some life into it!)
                  lol,well it's not my thead,I was just saying thats a pretty darn cheap price for an drum 2 travel dont ya think? You know i would never complain(lol)............... ;)P
                  Southern Boy

Comment

Yes..I agree ceremonial singing is different...it doesn't matter the cost or distance. This funny little thread, as is the case with my other threads, is to promote discussion and in this case some laughter. The thread was meant to be half serious--thank-you for your comments---I was wondering if you were going to reply or not? I look forward to reading your various posts! Sincerely, the Pow-wow Chummie-Niwiwan.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.